"Why are you single?"

Options

Replies

• HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Because I don't date people for the sake of being in a relationship. The person has to be worth it for me.
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My standard answer to this (and I get asked this ALL THE TIME, for reasons that are unclear to me): "Because I'm incapable of having a functional relationship." Or, in German (since I live abroad) "I am relationship-incabable [beziehungsunfähig]."

Oddly enough, my friends don't seem to believe me and keep trying to set me up with a variety of poor *kitten*. At least I warn them in advance...?

Although I do like the dude's answer of "Because I'm a doucheb." Maybe I should change my standard answer to "Cause I'm a raging b-itch."
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm single because I'm too pretty to be lied to, cheated on, or played with ;)
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Because I haven't yet met the woman who has made me wanna stop being single. As soon as I do, I'll give up singlehood in a heartbeat.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I attract *kitten*. Or I am a *kitten*. Who knows... :smile:

^ this. Plus it's easier.
  • dualcollision
    dualcollision Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1) because i'm picky 2) because the women i'm attracted to are usually not attracted to me.

O well. life goes on.
  • hopwoods1
    hopwoods1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Because I haven't found anyone that wants to be in a relationship with me, and vice versa that I want to be in a relationship with.

The above has many causes, one (and pure speculation on my part) is my attractiveness to the ladies, I'm overweight and self conscious and shy because of it. Therefore not very confident in myself.

Also I'm not outgoing, I have a very small circle of friends (only two who I see regularly and they are a couple). We are lucky to meet up once a month. Being shy, I'm not likely to go to a pub or club to meet women, so friend or family referral is most likely the only way I'll meet someone.

Age, I'm 32 and almost everyone I know are not single, and most are starting families.
    Personally I'm not ready for kids, so if I do meet someone chances are they already have a kid, certainly seems that way anyway. I'm not sure I want to take that on at this stage in my life.

I tried online dating (eharmony) for a year and had zero interest. This may be tied in my appearance, which will change as I meet my weight loss goals. For me the online dating experience was heavily biased in favour of women. My female friends who used it all say they had loads of messages to deal with. My male friends all say that had very few.

The above is why I'm single, but how can you get that across in under a minute?
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I always say that "I haven't met that ONE special person, who I would like torture for the rest of his life" :-)

I'm stealing your quote!!

Depending on my mood I say either: "because I choose to be" or "I intimidate the nice guys and won't date the *kitten*"
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    "I'm not, I'm just always open to new connections." is the correct answer for me. That's a b.s. backhanded compliment kind of question, though. It's basically, "What's wrong with you?" Which of course is rude.
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Just moved to a new place, too shy to get things going.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    A) because i am a raging c*nt-o-saurus

B) because i haven't found anyone who values going to bed early, daily exercise, eating fruit and veg, diligence, kindness, generosity, AND non-judgment as much as i.

< 1 min i'm sticking with A
    > 1 min you figure it out
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm single because I find being with 'just one person' exceedingly boring and stifling. I constantly meet people who want to change me or want to be changed by me - neither of which is healthy or fun. I don't need a boy to raise or a father to raise me and that's typically what type of people find me. Also, I get a lot of prejudice because I'm a clean/sober person, which most equate to be dull and boring and a homebody (I'm not any of those, just can not function in life with chemical enhancements). I've never been in love with someone who was in love with me and vice versa. Doesn't seem like the whole relationship thing is for me, and I'm completely okay with that. I have wonderful kids, an often stressful but ultimately rewarding job (when things aren't batsh!t crazy), a group of close-knit fabulous friends, a healthy lifestyle of eating better and exercising on a consistent basis, and the enjoyment of life on my terms - when I see fit - how I see fit - not based on the wants and needs of other people (beyond my family and the responsibilities and love contained therein) and not in the shadow of the expectations of society or people in general.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I always say that "I haven't met that ONE special person, who I would like torture for the rest of his life" :-)

I'm stealing your quote!!

Depending on my mood I say either: "because I choose to be" or "I intimidate the nice guys and won't date the *kitten*"

and

B) because i haven't found anyone who values going to bed early, daily exercise, eating fruit and veg, diligence, kindness, generosity, AND non-judgment as much as i.

I'm using both of these. Because they both relate to how I feel. :-)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I am single and I'm okay with it! I'm happy with my dogs, family and friends, doing my own thing when I want! I hate online dating....I guess I'm waiting for the perfect man to fall out of the sky or something! lol until then, I'll just keep doing what I want when I want!
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Okay I want to preface this by saying 1) I'm not single and 2) I'm not trying to be rude to people who are and ACTUALLY like it that way.

But does it drive anyone else batty when people say "I'm happy being single" or "I'm just taking time to work on me" but then complain like crazy anytime there's a wedding or a party and they don't have a date and beg you to set them up with every single person you know?

Maybe it's just me...
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a few months out of a relationship and I feel like I can BREATHE again, lol! Seriously though, I'm happy with where I'm at and am not actively looking to be in another relationship right now. If someone awesome were to come into my life, well, that might be a different story.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that being single is being viewed in this situation as some sort of 'problem' that requires an explanation. People are single and people are in relationships, things cycle and things change. Being single isn't a state of being that is like having a disease that requires curing.

Besides if you are speed dating. I think if someone came at me with 'well why are you single' like there was some major flaw with me for being single, I'd be sorely tempted to just reply in kind, with a 'well one could ask the same question of you now couldn't they'.

Sheesh.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I get that question a lot. I suppose the truth is "I am unlovable."

tumblr_m2jhj5BS4U1qiv5qco1_400.gif

:laugh:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not single now. But when I was, I think the honest answer would have been I always choose the wrong men.

This is probably the most honest answer here. So many people say that they attract cheaters, *kitten*, etc. But the reality is that THEY made the choice to date the guy or girl.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not single now. But when I was, I think the honest answer would have been I always choose the wrong men.

This is probably the most honest answer here. So many people say that they attract cheaters, *kitten*, etc. But the reality is that THEY made the choice to date the guy or girl.
    Agreed.

I'm a fixer. I take in stray animals and stray men. You have major emotional issues? Come to mama!

(But the happy ending is this time, the guy is actually working on his issues and turning into the right man finally.)