Couch to 5K (week 1)

Options
ljc1057
ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
My goal is to run a 5K on Sept 18. I am going to use the http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml plan, which is a 9 week plan. I've been walking 3x's a week for 2 weeks and since Sept. 18 is only 8 weeks away, I'm going to start on week 2. Would anyone like to join me and post when and what they run? I need a little motivation.

Replies

• Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    If you search there is already a thread just like this of people starting the program this week! :-) I know I'm up for W1D3 and a bunch of people I'm "friends" with are in the first two weeks. :-) Its lots of fun! :-) I hope you enjoy!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I start week 1 this week and plan to do a 5K either 9/18 or 9/25. The one 9/18 would be the end of my 9th week. Seems like a good graduation test, huh?

Good luck!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'll join :) I just started week 2 today, completed workout #1 so two more to go than onto week 3.
  • ljc1057
    Options
    Perfect Sundinsgurl and MrsEJr! It will be a graduation run. Thanks Scncartist. I'll check it out.

Starting in the morning.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    Let us know how it went! :-)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'll be following the plan, but since I am already in decent shape, I am starting on week 5.
  • ljc1057
    Options
    Was going to start on week 2 this morning, but, thanks to scncartist, I found on the other C25K site someone recommended DJ Beatsmith Podrunner music to download for free. I downloaded week 1 and went with it this morning. Was great! So now, I'm officially on my way to a 5K!

Hi Hroush!
  • xlizzislegend
    Options
    I love the Podrunner series. I am on the last day of week one today :)
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    just did w1d1! I did a walking 5k in April, and then signed up for a 10k in October. Hoping to be able to jog some of it.
  • ljc1057
    Options
    xlizzielegend - way to go! What did you think of w1d1 Tammy? I toyed with the idea of doing another day this morning, but I'm a little sore. I'll do the 2nd day tomorrow and then try and start week 2 on Monday.
  • TammyK777
    Options
    it was much easier than I thought it would be! Not sore today :) Very glad I got off the couch and did it!
  • ljc1057
    Options
    Me too! Did you use music or just watch the time?
  • ChibiChi
    ChibiChi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I are talking about starting this up this weekend. There's a fun run in September we were looking at joining. I've got a question though. Since the fun run will be outdoors would it be better if we did these sessions outdoors also?
  • ljc1057
    Options
    I would say probably better outdoors, but I'm running indoors right now. The only time I can workout is in the morning because of work and its still dark then. I'm going to run Saturday outdoors though.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I did w1d1 today. I'm going to do it Monday, Wednesday, Friday with my week starting on Friday. Thanks for starting this topic!
  • TammyK777
    Options
    I watched the timer on the treadmill. I'm in the stone-age and listened to music on a personal CD player. Probably won't work once it cools off some and I start going outside, so I'll be shopping for something to play the files from the website soon.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I just did Week2 Day 1 last night!! I highly recommend these podcasts to run to, I love them!
    http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/rss.xml

Here's a link to my run, too! You can see all the intervals, I love it!
    http://go.nike.com/02t4t0ut

I've signed up for a 5k October 3, and I'm really hoping I can run every step of it!!
  • carezzz
    carezzz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also going to give this a go...I've never been a huge fan of running but I think this is something I could learn to love and stay at it!!

Thanks for starting this! It's a great motivator :)
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have continued doing this, I just forgot to post (opps..)

I am on Week 2.. and I just completed my 2nd workout so one more to go than week 3. I do it Mon, Wed, Fri as well.. except my week begins on a Wednesday.
  • ljc1057
    Options
    Just finished W1D2. I used DJ Beatmaster. The distance was only 1.75 miles, but I walked to 2 miles. Is that the right distance for week 1, or am I just incredibly slow? :smile: