Couch to 5K (week 1)

Options

Replies

• sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I am really glad to have come back to it as well! :) I have been really motivated the past couple months. I completed the 30 day shred, started it around the time I started this C25K program. I play soccer so its not like I actually came from the couch, but I definetely am feeling in better shape, but distance running has never been my thing. I really do believe that I will be able to complete a 5K sometime. Maybe I can find one around here for October. Its just I run on the treadmill.. I think I would need some time to practice outside for a bit.

Today completed Week #6 day 1, felt great! the 5 mins seem easy peasy now and when I am on the 8 minute interval alll I tell myself is that I did 20 mins straight the last time.

Glad to hear that everyone is doing so well this program.. It's great to have others doing it along with you, its nice motivation! We are well on our way to being C25K graduates! Even though ljc_1057 and Max_power you have already done it :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I did 3 miles again today, not much faster, 37:30, but that's ok. When I was huffing and puffing through the first weeks 60-sec intervals I would've laughed if someone told me I'd be running 3 miles in 8 weeks. I guess I still don't feel like a C25K "graduate" since I have one more week to go per the original schedule. Plus I still have to add that extra 0.1 mile! :) I'll do that next week.

I don't have a 5K planned, and I don't think I will yet this fall. I started doing this just for me, and I don't really care if anyone outside of my new internet friends or my immediate family know I'm doing it. Plus if I were to actually run an organized race, even though I would never expect to "win", I would want to be a little faster than I am. It might be something I'll think about next summer. Ultimately I think it would be awesome to run a marathon some day, but I'll worry about a 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon first. : ) I've heard there is another running program called "B210K" that I may try next summer.

As for what I'm doing next, I'm not completely sure, I was going to ask the rest of you the same question. I may keep running for a bit while the weather is still decent, but I have a hard time running when it's cold. I think I might do the original Power 90, I already have the DVD's. I've tried it twice, but got bored with repeating the same 2-day cycle by about 30 days in. I also have P90X, but I've always felt I should do the original first. Obviously my fitness level has increased over these past 8 weeks, so maybe I am ready to just jump into P90X. Does anyone have any experience with that?
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've heard there is another running program called "B210K" that I may try next summer.
    interesting!

Great job! (I like the scheduled group runs--it helps me)
  • sundinsgurl
    Options
    I completed Week 6 day 2 last week.. On Friday! I just forgot to come on here and post it

I am off to the gym for my last run of week 6. Than its off to week 7 and 8 which I noticed are all running with no breaks!

I have also thought about what to do next - even though I still have a couple weeks left! I think I will continue running a couple times a week at least - want to keep up my stamina! We can also work on improving our time. I have never tried Px90 before but I heard its quite an intense program. I dont have the cash right now to buy the dvd's nor the equipment needed (if there is any). I jsut got my gym membership last week so that has given me something else to do. I do however enjoy having something to complete.. I did the 30 day shred last month, and now this. Hmmmm anyone ever heard of Insanity? Ive heard you need at least an hour a day to complete it.
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be "off" for a couple of weeks...on vacation. I did almost 4 miles this morning and will do a 5K in Maui Saturday! Blessings to you all!
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    Seem to be doing well keeping up with my running. I ran on Friday (2 miles in 20m7s) and ran yesterday (2 miles 19m 20s)! Yay! Yesterday I was able to run a full 10m, walked 2m, ran 3 minutes, walked 1 minute, then ran the last bit. Getting better. I feel like I need to be able to run the entire 2 mile loop before I will allow myself to go further. So, definitely getting closer!

Anne- Have a fantastic vacation! So very cool that you can run 4 miles! Hurray for you!

Sun- Definitely keep up the running! Do you have a goal for a time you would like to be able to accomplish? My personal ultimate goal is to be able to run a 5k in 25m.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    WOW! Everyone is doing awesome.

I made it back from my son's and I even ran 5K on Saturday. I'm not really convinced my Nike Sensor is accurate. It's close, but I think its a little short, meaning I'm not quite running a 5K. Whatever, I'll do one on Saturday morning. I tried to run yesterday, but I'm thinking getting up at 5am, driving 6 hours, eating lunch, and drinking a couple glasses of water before the run did me in. I ran a mile and then walked the mile back. I'm going to walk today, run some tomorrow and take the two days off before Saturday.

The bad news is I gained 1.5 pounds. Yesterday was my weight in day, so I weighed this morning. Darn! I knew I wasn't good this past weekend, but I'll get back on the horse and push it this week. Also, there is a chance my son will be married the Saturday after Thanksgiving. A little more motivation. Only 2.5 months then.

Anne, have a great vacation! Hope your run goes well.

Max, I'm impressed you don't have a 5K scheduled. I think you would be fine doing one right now. I've looked at results from some of these and you are right in the middle of things.

Great job JPotvin! You'll be at 2 miles in no time.

Sundisgurl, How did you like the 30DS? I tried it a couple of days once, but didn't finish. Did it work?

As far as what to do next, I have really enjoyed getting to know all of you and you have kept me motivated. There have been times when I've wanted to stop, but I think I can't because I have to post. :flowerforyou: What if we just did whatever we want, but continue to keep each other updated daily or several times a week. We could stay with this thread topic or make a new one.
  • ljc1057
    Options
    Just saw this post on the message board --- C25K success and 1st race
  • Max_Power
    Options
    Well, I technically did W9D1 today, but as I've said I'm just kind of on my own going for distance instead of the podcast. Unfortunately today I took a bit of a step back, couldn't get on the track due to the jr. high practice, so just took off through the neighborhood with the stopwatch going. I didn't plan a very good route, had to wait to cross the street a couple times, and just generally felt out of sorts. I absolutely had to stop and walk at 30 minutes. I know that's technically what W9 calls for, but by my pace I know it was nowhere close to my recent 3 milers (38 minutes). Well, the last time I had this bad of a day was the morning I got caught in the rain and I came back two days later and powered through my longest run yet which was 2.5mi at the time. Hopefully I have the same rebound Thursday.

Good luck to Anne, sorry I missed you before you left and probably won't see this until after. If you're up to 4 miles, the 5k in Hawaii will be no problem at all! Can't wait to hear how it went!

ljc- sorry to hear about your (very small) weight bump, maybe it's new muscle? :) We've all done so good overall a couple small fluctuations are bound to happen, I know I've had several. I'd like to think I would still be on week 9 of a 9-week running program if I was completely on my own, but I know there have been a few occasions where being accountable to this group has made me put on my shoes and drag myself out the door, even when I didn't want to. If I was only accountable to myself, I probably would've let some of my bad weekends turn into bad weeks or worse, instead of making myself get right back on track after a rough day.

I will definitely plan to keep running for a few more weeks after week 9, to keep adding distance and improve my pace. Plus I know not everyone is on the same schedule, so I will stick around until everyone's done!
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I have missed you all!! I'm still trucking along, just going at my own pace now really, trying to get to 5k each time. My best time so far is 38 mins, and I'd love to have that down to 35 by my 5k in October, but really, the fact that I am doing this at all is awesome, so I really shouldn't care about the time!

I'm sorry I haven't kept up as much - I got an iPhone(which I LOVE) so I have been using the MFP app, and not getting on to the forums much. The hubby and kids have been sick too, and just generally my schedule is all out of whack!!

Anne - Good luck, how exciting! Can't wait to hear how it went!

Laurie - :) I think it's a great idea to keep up with each other! I know I don't check in as much as I used to, but I really love catching up with everyone! I think you'll have that 1.5 pounds off in no time - maybe water weight or like Max said, muscle?

Max - Sorry you had another off day - I think that's bound to happen every now and then to all of us, but thankfully we've had enough good runs to know that next time will be better! I absolutely HATE having to stop at crosswalks too!

Okay! Grumpy kiddos asking for me, I'll be back later!!
  • sundinsgurl
    Options
    Hello All!! I too agree that we are all doing just amazing :) I would love to keep up some kind of thread to keep eachother motivated. Or if some of us find something else we want to try together I am soo up for it!!!

Completed my first run of week 7 today - wohoo for 25 mins straight of runnning!!!! thank goodness for tvs on the treadmill at my gym - it helps me zone right out!

ljc - I enjoyed the 30 day shred!! It was quite the challenge, I didnt complete it in 30 days. I took a a day off here and there (most on weekends). I definetely toned up! I would like to challenge myself to do it again and complete it in 30 days. They were tough workouts.. but as I completed day 5,6,7,8 of each level they got easier which told me I was improving. I definetely reccomend trying it out again and trying to stick to it

J Potvin - I havent actually set a time yet for a 5K no. Right now I am just working on running for ___ amount of minutes - whatever each week suggests. Once I complete the program than I will move to distance.. than once I get to 5 K I will work on improving time.
  • carfam07
    carfam07 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did week4day2 today. I like the podcasts too. I feel so..... good about myself after every workout. The workout pushes me to my limit but the after- feeling of pure triumph is worth the pain. I hope to run a 5K in November.
  • ljc1057
    Options
    Yea Carfam07! I'm finding I really don't like starting the run, but after 5 minutes or so, I get into a groove (how old am I? :smile: ) and by the time I'm done I feel great.

Sundinsgurl - Great job! I'm really impressed you can do it on a treadmill. It's too tempting for me to stop.

Wow Lori - 38 minutes is great. I'm still trying to calibrate my Nike +. It was showing I did more than I did, but now it's the other way. I'm going to try and get on a track and get it set right, but I love it!

Max - Yesterday wasn't a good run day for me, which is two in a row. And, the 5K is this Saturday. I'm thinking this will just be my taper and I'll come back as strong as you did after your rain delay.

JPotvin - Your times are great and you are doing fantastic!

Anne - Can't wait to hear about your trip.
  • sundinsgurl
    Options
    Compled week 7 Run #2 :) Cant run tomorrow because I will be very busy and than I am getting my hair done so I dont want to have to shower after they blow dry it all nice for me! So I got it done today :) A little tougher than yesterday, I think its because all I had was a banana than went to work for 2 hrs than ran. Where as I normally have a chance to eat a bit more before I run! But I didnt stop :) Prolly wont run again till Sunday.. or Monday
  • Max_Power
    Options
    Today was time to make up for my "bad day" on Tuesday, and I sure did! The track wasn't available again, so once again I just took off through the neighborhood (planned a better route this time) and set a timer on my watch for 40 minutes. I also brought my new Droid X with mp3's and Google's "My Tracks" run tracker program so I could see my distance when I was done. I was very happy that I completed the 40 minute run without a problem, I probably could've gone a couple minutes longer if I wanted, but I was at a good place to stop and cool down. So I pulled out my phone, excited to check my distance, and saw that I had forgotten to turn the GPS on! It was just sitting there on the map screen, and had not been recording anything the whole time. I was so happy with myself for running 40 minutes, but I was looking forward to seeing my distance. Judging by my past pace, I probably did just over 5K. I plan to run the same route on Sunday, and turn my GPS on this time :). Sunday will also be Week 9, Day 3. As I said, I plan to keep running for at least a few weeks, and we'll see how it goes.

Sundinsgurl- good idea with the tv on the treadmill. We have a fitness center at work with older equipment (no built-in tv's) but I've loaded tv shows on my phone and done the elliptical before, I should do the same thing on the treadmill.

Carfam- I know what you mean about feeling so good about yourself after the runs! The first couple of weeks I was just trying not to die, but by week 4 or 5, when I started doing 5 minute intervals I felt like "a real runner" and it made me feel great!

ljc- best of luck on your 5K this Saturday! I'll bet being in a real event will provide you an extra boost and you may even turn in your best time yet! Either way, good job! I look forward to hearing about it.

Lori- I'm with you on not caring about the time, I'm just glad to be doing this. Trimming 15-30 seconds off from one day to the next is a nice bonus though! :)
  • ljc1057
    Options
    I did my 5K yesterday. Not fast at all, but did it. My time was 47:47 by my watch. I think I started out too fast running with my 24 year old daughter and by the end was being past by walkers, yes walkers. BUT, I never stopped running. I felt really good at the end and today I'm not sore at all. Then within two hours I was driving to see my two youngest children at college and just got back. It was a really nice trip, but I'm pretty tired now.

How's everyone else doing?
  • sundinsgurl
    Options
    So proud that completed the 5K ljc :) Your time will only improve as you continue onto more 5K's - for now be proud that you completed it while running the whole time!! woop woop!!!

I completed my final run of week 7 this morning, and I am onto week 8 :) Its so weird to think back to week 1 and 2 and see how far we've come!

MaxPower - I love the tvs on the machines - I watched Make a Deal and price is Right today. Makes my time at the gym go by soo fast. Did 35 mins on treadmill - 5 min warm up 25 min run than 5 min cool down. 30 on the eliptical and 10 on the bike :) Thats amazing that you can run for 40 mins straight!!! Slowly but surely I'll get there
  • ljc1057
    Options
    It's been hard to find the time to run during the week anyway, so I think I'm going to lift weights with a little cardio (mostly for warmup) on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Then either do a stationary bike class or run on the treadmill (which I hate) Tuesdays and Thursdays. Saturdays for a good run and take Sunday off. I don't know how you guys run on the treadmill. You are better than me. :smile: It's really amazing how far we've come. Thinking back to the 1st time we had to run 20 minutes. haha.
  • Max_Power
    Options
    ljc- great job on doing your 5K, especially for never stopping running!

I really wish I could figure out this bad day / good day cycle... after my good day last Thursday I was excited to run again today (crappy weather yesterday) and I hit a wall again. Not quite as bad as last Tuesday, but I still could only do 30 minutes. Maybe I have been pushing myself to increase too fast lately, I went up to 40 minutes pretty quickly. I'll try again Thursday. I think I'm most disappointed because today was my 27th run... technically Week 9 Day 3. But again, the program calls for 30 minutes all 3 days of week 9, so maybe a sign I've been getting ahead of myself. Either way, the fact that I'm "disappointed" that I "only ran 30 minutes" tells me just how far I've come! We all have!
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    Ok, so I have done pretty darn good this past week keeping up with running and exercise in general. Walking a lot with the kids (4 miles on Saturday morning)! Today was the best day ever for running. I was able to run for 15 minutes straight...pushing the double jogger, and with the dog. I mapped out a route prior to going and knew it was 2.45 miles (I love gmap pedometer). Completed the whole thing in 26:40! I was shocked and so proud :) I haven't felt this much self pride in a long time! :bigsmile:

Max-great job on your running! I can't wait until I can run for that amount of time! I think good days and bad days are just part of the cycle! The bad days make you push yourself more, and the good days, well they just feel great!

ljc-5k! Way to go :) I don't have one scheduled but as long as I can at least run the distance, I will feel like I have met my goal. I won't be able to do any 5k's until my husband gets back from his training, unless I want to push the double jogger!

sundin-I wish I could run on a treadmill! I promised myself that if I continued to run when the weather got cold, I would definitely invest in some winter running clothes. Can't wait!

I am getting to the point where I don't mutter "this sucks" under my breath every step of the way while I am running, so hurray for me :) Can't wait until Wednesday to do it all again!