Couch to 5K (week 1)

Options

Replies

• Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Finished week 3 this morning! Day 3 was harder than W3 days 1 or 2 by far, on the last 3-minute interval I did not think I was going to make it. I was using the Ullrey podcast and when his voice came on to say "one minute left" and I was expecting him to say I was done, I wanted to quit. But I didn't and I was glad I finished that last minute. I definitely realized today that I am not running very fast at all, but I know that will come with time. I'm still very heavy (just dropped under 250 yesterday) so I know I just need to work on my stamina, and hopefully keep dropping some weight so I'm not so hard on my joints before I worry about pace.

Anyways, looking forward to week 4 on Tuesday morning! 3 minutes is going to be the "easy" interval!
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Just did W3D3. Had to catch up because my 5K is Sept. 18. I downloaded the Ullrey podcast. Probably because I'm used to the DJ Beatsmith, I think I like it better. I like the beat and the change of the tempo between runs and walks better. However, the Ullrey is better explained. I'll think I'll use both for variety. Little nervous about week 4. :love:
  • Max_Power
    Options
    Little nervous about week 4.

That's what I meant too... :) But I'm looking forward to the challenge, we can do it!
  • suzyharlan1
    Options
    Just finished W1D3. Looking forward to W2. I'm starting out jogging pretty slow because my knee gets sore sometimes so I'm being careful. So far, so good though! I'm hoping to jog/run/walk in the Susan Komen Race for the Cure 5K in October. I think that's doable. Thanks for the Get Running info for iphone Sherri. I just downloaded it and will try it. Sounds pretty great.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    How I figure out a guestimation of how far I've gone is using google maps. you can choose walk mode, choose your start and end points, and then drag the route until it mimics yours. This is also a good tool when you want to go for distance. They only bad thing as far as i can tell is that it only breaks it down into tenths of a mile.
  • desireebutts
    Options
    Good luck to you! I hate running!!! I think it's awesome that you are going to run a marathon!!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Just wanted to wish all luck and encourage you to stick with it!! I graduated in Feb and wasn't quite up to 5K but kept adding 3 min a week until I could do it... I ran several 5K then proceeded to 10K. I'm now training for the Detroit 1/2 marathon Oct 17th.. I ran 8 miles this morning at a slow pace but at least I did it...
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Completed week 2 day 1 this evening. Running with a bit of a headwind it felt much harder than week 1 but I managed.

Pinbotchick - you are quite the inspiration!!! I hope I have your determination to continue once I graduate.

NEED ADVICE - didn't buy an HRM Yet so guessing my cals burned. What would you all guess ????? I'm about 40 lbs overweight have not exercised regularly for years. THANKS!!!!!!!
  • ljc1057
    Options
    I usually guess too. I come up with an average speed (which is a walking speed) and then just put the distance I did. However, I did find this website the other day. I think I under estimated my calories burned, but that's ok.

http://www.runtheplanet.com/resources/tools/calculators/caloriecounter.asp

Good luck and wtg on W2D1!
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Love hearing everyone shooting down their weekly goals! Keep up the awesome work everyone!!! :)
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Just did W3D1 this morning! I handled the 3-min intervals much better than I thought I would. I was also glad that I finally started feeling the burn in my legs more than my lungs. My lung capacity must be improving, and now I will finally have enough endurance to be building strength in my legs. Can't wait to do it again Thursday morning!

I did W3D1 today also, and I feel the same way! It's like it's easier than week one, which is totally amazing to me!! Looking forward to the next one!

Thanks for the encouragement from both of you. I did week 2 day 2 this morning and I have to admit that the 3 minute intervals are worrying me. I'm going to take stock in what you've said and know that I can do it.

Thanks again!
  • scottc
    scottc Posts: 72
    Options
    I'd love to join! I'm starting week 2 day 1 today. :)
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join too. I am on W1 (started mid-week last week) and feeling really good. So glad I started running again. My goal is to keep at this. My challenge will be going back to work next week. I'm an elementary school teacher. Finding the energy/time to exercise during the school year is hard.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join too. I am on W1 (started mid-week last week) and feeling really good. So glad I started running again. My goal is to keep at this. My challenge will be going back to work next week. I'm an elementary school teacher. Finding the energy/time to exercise during the school year is hard.

We can do it!! I also return to work next week(albeit only casually) after my maternity leave....
  • ljc1057
    Options
    Welcome Scottc and Kincar! :flowerforyou:

I'm already back at work - well I have been all summer because I work in the office at a school. However, it means two things - longer hours and FOOD. Already there is all kinds of food in the faculty workroom. I've stayed away!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Completed Week 3 Day 2 today.. felt easier than day 1 :) I am really enjoying this.. cant wait to get Day 3 down so I can move onto week 4.

So glad to see that so many of us are sticking to it!!! Also really nice to hear that people who have completed it are working on training to run farther!!
  • ljc1057
    Options
    I agree Sundisgurl. Love the group! Just did W4D1 and I survived. YEA!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Completed final run/walk of week 3 - onto week 4 :):)
  • Max_Power
    Options
    Did W4D1 this morning, and once again I felt great! The worst part was actually a blister on my foot from breaking in my new running shoes over the weekend, but after a few blocks it didn't hurt much.

I think part of the reason I was so intimidated was because all the intervals are now in "minutes" instead of seconds. Sounds weird I know, but "90 seconds" sounds so much easier than "3 minutes" or "5 minutes". But once I started the 5 minute interval, I just blocked out of my mind that I was running for X amount of time, and instead I was just running. I wasn't thinking about how many seconds I had left, I just ran until the podcast said to stop. I hope the next two runs go as well, but I'm worried about W4D3 because Day 3's have been my hardest so far.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Did W4D1 this morning, and once again I felt great! The worst part was actually a blister on my foot from breaking in my new running shoes over the weekend, but after a few blocks it didn't hurt much.

I think part of the reason I was so intimidated was because all the intervals are now in "minutes" instead of seconds. Sounds weird I know, but "90 seconds" sounds so much easier than "3 minutes" or "5 minutes". But once I started the 5 minute interval, I just blocked out of my mind that I was running for X amount of time, and instead I was just running. I wasn't thinking about how many seconds I had left, I just ran until the podcast said to stop. I hope the next two runs go as well, but I'm worried about W4D3 because Day 3's have been my hardest so far.

Yay! That's fantastic! Week 4 intimidated me too for some reason... I handled the three minutes okay, but for some reason 5 minutes scared me! You know what else is scary.... I listened ahead to week 5.... On W5D3, we run for 20 minutes straight!!:noway: