5k Jogger to Ultra Runner in 14 weeks

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    This is turning into a witch hunt, and it's leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

We've established that this plan was presented under somewhat false pretenses, whether deliberately or not. We've established that OP has a greater level of fitness than the average C25k graduate. We've established that while this plan may work out for him and his family, it's probably not for everyone.

I fail to see the value offered from demanding verification of his daughter's race times.

I find the whole damn scenerio leaves a sour taste in my mouth, you are not concerned that somebody is lying on a time and saying somebody did something they didn't then?

Why not just admit the true time rather than embellish everything?

Verification of a race time when it ties in with a dangerous training plan is very important actually.

The OP was already run-trained, this is why the title of this thread is a lie.........

But OP has already 'come clean' about his previous running and cycling providing him a base level of fitness.

At this point it doesn't matter what OP comes back with anyway. You've decided he's lying and you are rejecting all possible explanations being provided.

Personally if I were him I'd tell you to get on your bike and refuse to provide further verification just to satisfy your petty instinct to try to shame him further.

He has neve4r answered me from the very beginning, therefore, I do not expect anything further anyway.

He said the HM time, nobody asked and then he said they never broke a sweat and chatted all the way around the run.

Look, if you are going to come up with facts and figures, it is a good idea to make sure they are realistic and are in the official results whereby everybody on the internet can see, otherwise yes, you will indeed look stupid.

As for what you think of me asking questions, I really couldn't care less whether you find my asking uncomfortable or not, I do not need your permission to ask bona fide questions relating to this thread :)

Nope, you absolutely don't.

And just as OP will be subject to your scrutiny, you will be subject to the opinions of others regarding that scrutiny. It's wonderful how the internet works.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    This is turning into a witch hunt, and it's leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

We've established that this plan was presented under somewhat false pretenses, whether deliberately or not. We've established that OP has a greater level of fitness than the average C25k graduate. We've established that while this plan may work out for him and his family, it's probably not for everyone.

I fail to see the value offered from demanding verification of his daughter's race times.

I find the whole damn scenerio leaves a sour taste in my mouth, you are not concerned that somebody is lying on a time and saying somebody did something they didn't then?

Why not just admit the true time rather than embellish everything?

Verification of a race time when it ties in with a dangerous training plan is very important actually.

The OP was already run-trained, this is why the title of this thread is a lie.........

But OP has already 'come clean' about his previous running and cycling providing him a base level of fitness.

At this point it doesn't matter what OP comes back with anyway. You've decided he's lying and you are rejecting all possible explanations being provided.

Personally if I were him I'd tell you to get on your bike and refuse to provide further verification just to satisfy your petty instinct to try to shame him further.

He has neve4r answered me from the very beginning, therefore, I do not expect anything further anyway.

He said the HM time, nobody asked and then he said they never broke a sweat and chatted all the way around the run.

Look, if you are going to come up with facts and figures, it is a good idea to make sure they are realistic and are in the official results whereby everybody on the internet can see, otherwise yes, you will indeed look stupid.

As for what you think of me asking questions, I really couldn't care less whether you find my asking uncomfortable or not, I do not need your permission to ask bona fide questions relating to this thread :)

Nope, you absolutely don't.

And just as OP will be subject to your scrutiny, you will be subject to the opinions of others regarding that scrutiny. It's wonderful how the internet works.

The internet has always been that way, always will be, so what.

The time of 2:10 did not exist, why are you so intent of disproving what I am doing, I am just after confirmation, you however, are trying to detract.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This has gotten... shameful. There's no reason to call out the OP like this.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    And believe me, if I say an argument (especially one I've participated in) has gone too far then something is seriously screwed up.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And believe me, if I say an argument (especially one I've participated in) has gone too far then something is seriously screwed up.

^this

(Although I'm still curious about the answers to the unanswered questions...even if I'd completely understand if OP decided not to address them. It's too bad we...(the collective "we")...couldn't have had some patience to let OP address the initial question about the results. Is a real shame because I was genuinely more curious about how he and his family do on this program than their HM times. It's either a tale of a remarkably athletic family pushing to better themselves or a cautionary tale of appropriate limits. Either way, it was destined to be a good read.)
  • __Di__
    Options

So nobody is allowed to ask the OP an question then about something he wrote???? Since when did that ruling come in?

Wow there's a lesson to learn eh, take everything as gospel at face value, sod the fact it may be dangerous.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    I think it's important to be clear that the OP is simply not credible. And he does keep telling us to 'google it' which is all I did.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

So nobody is allowed to ask the OP an question then about something he wrote???? Since when did that ruling come in?

Wow there's a lesson to learn eh, take everything as gospel at face value, sod the fact it may be dangerous.

I'm a big fan of questioning posters when the facts seem shaky. My only problem with this particular line of questioning is that it was escalated and speculated on before OP responded/had a chance to respond. I'd like for him to have had a chance to address it before we moved to cries of "crucify him!"

(And as you can see throughout this thread, I've had an issue with how OP has presented this program/programme. That said, I think there are enough counter-tales to adequately warn unsuspecting newbies that we don't necessarily gain anything by running OP away...and like I've said, I'm genuinely interested in how this work for him and his family.)
  • __Di__
    Options

^this

(Although I'm still curious about the answers to the unanswered questions...even if I'd completely understand if OP decided not to address them. It's too bad we...(the collective "we")...couldn't have had some patience to let OP address the initial question about the results. Is a real shame because I was genuinely more curious about how he and his family do on this program than their HM times. It's either a tale of a remarkably athletic family pushing to better themselves or a cautionary tale of appropriate limits. Either way, it was destined to be a good read.)

You don't get it do you..... me questioning his daughter's HM time was NOT to shame him, embarrass him or anything of the sort.

He posted her time, I went onto the Mablethorpe HM results page to have a look, could not find such a result as he has spoken of, THAT was when I started to question the validity of his statement and in turn, I then began to wonder just what else he had embellished, down to how good they all felt after a massive increase in mileage etc etc.

If a beginner were to try to copy such a plan because of the OP's continual enthusiasm and feeling good after such training, they would most likely find themselves out of action due to overtraining, injury or illness.

THIS is why I am insistent on continual questioning about the whole thing and in particular that HM time. It is not the HM time alone that I am bothered with, it is whether the OP has not spoken the truth and if he has not, what else has he been untruthful with regarding all this.

However, as per usual, these forums have a way of turning around, upside down and inside out until, conveniently everybody forgets what the original question was.

Human nature or just complacency, who knows.
  • __Di__
    Options

I'm a big fan of questioning posters when the facts seem shaky. My only problem with this particular line of questioning is that it was escalated and speculated on before OP responded/had a chance to respond. I'd like for him to have had a chance to address it before we moved to cries of "crucify him!"

(And as you can see throughout this thread, I've had an issue with how OP has presented this program/programme. That said, I think there are enough counter-tales to adequately warn unsuspecting newbies that we don't necessarily gain anything by running OP away...and like I've said, I'm genuinely interested in how this work for him and his family.)

It would be good if such a plan did work, I have suspicions it is being embellished however. In other words, nomatter whether it were to work or not, he would say it was doing good just to save face - this comes across when he spoke of that HM, the time and how the two girls ran the event. Hoping you see my point now, I seriously am not for trying to embarrass him, I am just concerned.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

^this

You don't get it do you..... me questioning his daughter's HM time was NOT to shame him, embarrass him or anything of the sort.

He posted her time, I went onto the Mablethorpe HM results page to have a look, could not find such a result as he has spoken of, THAT was when I started to question the validity of his statement and in turn, I then began to wonder just what else he had embellished, down to how good they all felt after a massive increase in mileage etc etc.

If a beginner were to try to copy such a plan because of the OP's continual enthusiasm and feeling good after such training, they would most likely find themselves out of action due to overtraining, injury or illness.

THIS is why I am insistent on continual questioning about the whole thing and in particular that HM time. It is not the HM time alone that I am bothered with, it is whether the OP has not spoken the truth and if he has not, what else has he been untruthful with regarding all this.

However, as per usual, these forums have a way of turning around, upside down and inside out until, conveniently everybody forgets what the original question was.

*I* don't get it? :huh:

That's an interesting conclusion given what I have posted in this very thread. Perhaps you should spend your time waiting for a response from OP by reading through this entire thread from the beginning.

What we have here isn't a disagreement in principle, but rather a disagreement on approach. You and I are wearing the same uniforms in this particular war, but I disapprove of your tactics. Rather than you staying invested in this thread to guide the conversation to continue to remind the silent audience of the prudence (or lack thereof) of this particular program, you decided to "attack" the OP...and even if you are correct and you "defeat" him in this one fell swoop, you will no doubt lose the hearts and minds of those who you purportedly are trying to "save". That you somehow interpret this as me being complacent leads me to believe that you are being myopic.

TL;DR - You lack an understanding of a bigger picture.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

^this

The issue is not so much the original question. That was relatively innocent. Personally I still think a little off, but eh, some people like more verification, fair enough.

The issue is that several people have now suggested possible Beths that could be OP's daughter. Rather than accepting these, or just waiting for a direct answer (OP doesn't visit often you may have noticed), you have found reasons to refute every one of them. Now assuming that the girl isn't running under a completely false name, you will presumably continue to refute if OP returns to tell us which one actually is his daughter. No one can really, truly prove anything to someone else on the internet - it's just as easy to call someone a liar for some BS reason as it is to lie in the first place.

At this point you are coming over like the crazies demanding ever increasing proof of Obama's birthplace.

Furthermore, this isn't OPs time. It's his daughter's time you are refuting. As father of a young girl, I think that brings a whole new level of distaste to the matter.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • __Di__
    Options

^this

*I* don't get it? :huh:

That's an interesting conclusion given what I have posted in this very thread. Perhaps you should spend your time waiting for a response from OP by reading through this entire thread from the beginning.

What we have here isn't a disagreement in principle, but rather a disagreement on approach. You and I are wearing the same uniforms in this particular war, but I disapprove of your tactics. Rather than you staying invested in this thread to guide the conversation to continue to remind the silent audience of the prudence (or lack thereof) of this particular program, you decided to "attack" the OP...and even if you are correct and you "defeat" him in this one fell swoop, you will no doubt lose the hearts and minds of those who you purportedly are trying to "save". That you somehow interpret this as me being complacent leads me to believe that you are being myopic.

TL;DR - You lack an understanding of a bigger picture.

NHo I was not insinuating YOU were complacent, I am saying many are.

The OP has not been back for a few days, I posted my question and then as people were replying to my post, I was actually quoting and answering them.

People were suggesting who it may have been in the results, but those same results would not have fitted the timing that the OP gave for his daughter, this is why I have been posting, to reply to posters who have quoted my replies. After all, it is good to reply to others or is it not?
  • __Di__
    Options

^this

The issue is not so much the original question. That was relatively innocent. Personally I still think a little off, but eh, some people like more verification, fair enough.

The issue is that several people have now suggested possible Beths that could be OP's daughter. Rather than accepting these, or just waiting for a direct answer (OP doesn't visit often you may have noticed), you have found reasons to refute every one of them. Now assuming that the girl isn't running under a completely false name, you will presumably continue to refute if OP returns to tell us which one actually is his daughter. No one can really, truly prove anything to someone else on the internet - it's just as easy to call someone a liar for some BS reason as it is to lie in the first place.

At this point you are coming over like the crazies demanding ever increasing proof of Obama's birthplace.

Furthermore, this isn't OPs time. It's his daughter's time you are refuting. As father of a young girl, I think that brings a whole new level of distaste to the matter.

I am asking where the time was on the results, how many more times must I say that. The times the OP stated were not on the official results page.

I don't know how results of races work in the US, but in the UK, they are on the internet for all to see, they are made public and two girls running at 2:10 are not on the results in the way the OP was saying.

I am not sure why some people are getting so het up over a question that was asked, originally, in sincerity.
  • __Di__
    Options

^this

Because those two Beths were not the correct person.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

^this

Based on your extensive personal knowledge of the individual in question.

You see, you have immediately leaped to the conclusion that OP is lying. Not that perhaps he was unsure of the time and made a best guess, or that his stopwatch was out of sync with the official race time, or that the girls were running together for 10 miles and then split, or any other number of things that could explain your inability to find this person you do not know in a list of names you do not know. You just assume that you know that he's lying because you can't find an individual that you are satisfied meets his criteria. When he comes back, you probably won't believe anything he tells you anyway.

But you have achieved something that is rarely seen. You've managed to take a debate where everyone was pretty much universally down on the OP, and then left us rallying behind him. That's quite the achievement.
  • __Di__
    Options

^this

Based on your extensive personal knowledge of the individual in question.

You see, you have immediately leaped to the conclusion that OP is lying. Not that perhaps he was unsure of the time and made a best guess, or that his stopwatch was out of sync with the official race time, or that the girls were running together for 10 miles and then split, or any other number of things that could explain your inability to find this person you do not know in a list of names you do not know. You just assume that you know that he's lying because you can't find an individual that you are satisfied meets his criteria. When he comes back, you probably won't believe anything he tells you anyway.

But you have achieved something that is rarely seen. You've managed to take a debate where everyone was pretty much universally down on the OP, and then left us rallying behind him. That's quite the achievement.

No, based on the time the OP gave when talking about his daughter's results.

Not sure how much more simply I can put the reasons for my asking that specific question really.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

^this

Agreed. Even if you don't think it's a good plan for the average person (and I think it's a bad plan for virtually all people save for very few), looking up his daughter's time to attempt to "disprove" his information just seems . . . . tacky. Believe him or don't believe him, but just let it go. I think it's been well established on this thread that the plan isn't one most of us would encourage anyone, let alone someone barely finishing the 5K plan, to follow, but there really isn't any need to disprove the OP's posts. Who cares whether or not he's lying about his child's time? Maybe he has posted a pseudonym here for his child because creepy internet people go too far. Maybe he fudged the details a little specifically so that people wouldn't be researching his child from afar? I certainly wouldn't blame him for that.
  • __Di__
    Options

^this

Agreed. Even if you don't think it's a good plan for the average person (and I think it's a bad plan for virtually all people save for very few), looking up his daughter's time to attempt to "disprove" his information just seems . . . . tacky. Believe him or don't believe him, but just let it go. I think it's been well established on this thread that the plan isn't one most of us would encourage anyone, let alone someone barely finishing the 5K plan, to follow, but there really isn't any need to disprove the OP's posts. Who cares whether or not he's lying about his child's time? Maybe he has posted a pseudonym here for his child because creepy internet people go too far. Maybe he fudged the details a little specifically so that people wouldn't be researching his child from afar? I certainly wouldn't blame him for that.
    I always look on race results, that is what I do and contrary to what some people think on here I am not stalking or researching, I am interested in results in races, Mablethorpe is another half marathon road race, the results of which I viewed, that is ok isn't it?

Yes creepy people on the internet sure do go too far, that I can agree with.

I find many people's views on this tacky actually, but there you go.