5k Jogger to Ultra Runner in 14 weeks

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    this thread is mind boggling.

and op, half the people on this thread are, in addition to being far more experienced runners than you, also from the uk. quit the 'you yanks' nonsense and frequent google maps references. it is embarrassing.

Thank you...:flowerforyou:

earlier we were "continentals" :huh:

colonials.

i prefer 'our American cousins'. has a nice ring.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

and op, half the people on this thread are, in addition to being far more experienced runners than you, also from the uk. quit the 'you yanks' nonsense and frequent google maps references. it is embarrassing.

Thank you...:flowerforyou:

earlier we were "continentals" :huh:

colonials.

i prefer 'our American cousins'. has a nice ring.

Colonials! That was it! I couldn't find it so took a (wrong) guess. It was just too high handed to even give credence, at the time. Our American cousins is good, though!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

And some of us that are in America are actually Brits anyway...
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Been a bit late keeping you all up to date on my training log .... sorry for that.

We ran the 15 miler last weekend and loved it, we were actually quite amazed at how good we felt after it.

Beth(daughter) did the Mablethorpe 1/2 Marathon in 2 hours 10 minutes with her mate chatting all the way round and hardly breaking a sweat.

Ran two 5 miles this week missed out on one run because of long shift at work and a bit gutted over it!

Tomorrow we are doing an 8 mile run along Filey, North Yorkshire beach. Taking in Reighton, Filey, Hunmanby Gap and Filey (Google it, its beautiful) - 8 miles in all. On Sunday we are doing an 18 miler round Humberston, North Cotes, Donna Nook and the Louth Navigation Canal.

This is a stretching programme, it may be too much for some people, it is bloody hard but it works ... all three of us are evidence to that!

Ahh that's ok then, whereabouts on the results is she? Only cannot see her name there:

http://www.mablethorpemarathon.com/?page_id=236

She must use her middle name.

Well hopefully the OP will enlighten us :)
    well there are two Elizabeth's between 2:06 and 2:14 so not sure why you think she's not there. It's not unknown for people to round there times up or down when discussing them. Not everything is a deep dark conspiracy

Elizabeth Harkness is not a beginner runner, she ran in the Run to the Beat in 2011 therefore, she is not a beginner as the OP is implying in this thread, yes or no? If the answer is no, then this thread is not true. Besides which Elizabeth Harkness' time ab Mablethorpe is 2:06.33 - the OP said 2:10, four minutes difference.

Elizabeth Bampton did a time of 2:14, four minutes difference, this way on the other side olf 2:10.

Those times are NOT what the OP said.

Healso said they ran together all the way round with her mate chatting, that meant two girls going over the finish roughly in the same time. There are no two girls finishing in 2:10 area.

P{erhaps she ran using her middle name eh and perhaps the OP will enlighten us all. :)
  • __Di__
    Options
    Been a bit late keeping you all up to date on my training log .... sorry for that.

We ran the 15 miler last weekend and loved it, we were actually quite amazed at how good we felt after it.

Beth(daughter) did the Mablethorpe 1/2 Marathon in 2 hours 10 minutes with her mate chatting all the way round and hardly breaking a sweat.

Ran two 5 miles this week missed out on one run because of long shift at work and a bit gutted over it!

Tomorrow we are doing an 8 mile run along Filey, North Yorkshire beach. Taking in Reighton, Filey, Hunmanby Gap and Filey (Google it, its beautiful) - 8 miles in all. On Sunday we are doing an 18 miler round Humberston, North Cotes, Donna Nook and the Louth Navigation Canal.

This is a stretching programme, it may be too much for some people, it is bloody hard but it works ... all three of us are evidence to that!

Ahh that's ok then, whereabouts on the results is she? Only cannot see her name there:

http://www.mablethorpemarathon.com/?page_id=236

She must use her middle name.

Well hopefully the OP will enlighten us :)
    well there are two Elizabeth's between 2:06 and 2:14 so not sure why you think she's not there. It's not unknown for people to round there times up or down when discussing them. Not everything is a deep dark conspiracy

Yeah, gotta side with this view. We may not agree with the training plan, or the way it was presented, but impugning his daughter's achievements goes a little beyond the pale and seems unnecessary.

I am looking for credibility, the results show no such runner running under 2:10.

After all, running in 2:10 and talking all the way round and not breaking a sweat would be impressive, therefore some confirmation within the times would be great.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    That is one awesome time, huge congratulations to Beth and her friend. I dream about being able to run that kind of distance in such a great time and find it comfortable! :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth Harkness is not a beginner runner, she ran in the Run to the Beat in 2011 therefore, she is not a beginner as the OP is implying in this thread, yes or no? If the answer is no, then this thread is not true. Besides which Elizabeth Harkness' time ab Mablethorpe is 2:06.33 - the OP said 2:10, four minutes difference.

Elizabeth Bampton did a time of 2:14, four minutes difference, this way on the other side olf 2:10.

Healso said they ran together all the way round with her mate chatting, that meant two girls going over the finish roughly in the same time. There are no two girls finishing in 2:10 area.

P{erhaps she ran using her middle name eh and perhaps the OP will enlighten us all. :)

Nobody in his family where what I would call a beginning runner. From what I can tell, he (and perhaps the others) ran a 5k distance 3-4 times a week before starting this program.

ETA: He mentioned that Beth did a trail half last year. Perhaps she's Elizabeth Harkness?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That is one awesome time, huge congratulations to Beth and her friend. I dream about being able to run that kind of distance in such a great time and find it comfortable! :flowerforyou:

A whole lot of people do.
  • __Di__
    Options

Nobody in his family where what I would call a beginning runner. From what I can tell, he (and perhaps the others) ran a 5k distance 3-4 times a week before starting this program.

Exactly, this is why this thread is not true re the title of it.

This makes the whole "do this training schedule to go from 5k jogger to ultra runner in 14 weeks" misinforming and dangerous.
  • __Di__
    Options

That is what I looked at and it is a far cry from a 2:10 as stated by the OP isn't it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options

That is what I looked at and it is a far cry from a 2:10 as stated by the OP isn't it.
    Chip time vs. clock time I reckon.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Chip time was 2:24. But, still, that's who it probably is. 11 minute mile vs. 10 minute mile.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    well it's definitely not either of the Elizabeths mentioned upthread

eta - but why lie about their finish time?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    well it's definitely not either of the Elizabeths mentioned upthread

eta - but why lie about their finish time?

Confusion? Poor memory?
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    This is turning into a witch hunt, and it's leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

We've established that this plan was presented under somewhat false pretenses, whether deliberately or not. We've established that OP has a greater level of fitness than the average C25k graduate. We've established that while this plan may work out for him and his family, it's probably not for everyone.

I fail to see the value offered from demanding verification of his daughter's race times.
  • __Di__
    Options

We've established that this plan was presented under somewhat false pretenses, whether deliberately or not. We've established that OP has a greater level of fitness than the average C25k graduate. We've established that while this plan may work out for him and his family, it's probably not for everyone.

I fail to see the value offered from demanding verification of his daughter's race times.

I find the whole damn scenerio leaves a sour taste in my mouth, you are not concerned that somebody is lying on a time and saying somebody did something they didn't then?

Why not just admit the true time rather than embellish everything?

Verification of a race time when it ties in with a dangerous training plan is very important actually.

The OP was already run-trained, this is why the title of this thread is a lie.........
  • __Di__
    Options

No, the chip times were 2:24.39 and 2:24.40
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

I find the whole damn scenerio leaves a sour taste in my mouth, you are not concerned that somebody is lying on a time and saying somebody did something they didn't then?

Verification of a race time when it ties in with a dangerous training plan is very important actually.

The OP was already run-trained, this is why the title of this thread is a lie.........

But OP has already 'come clean' about his previous running and cycling providing him a base level of fitness.

At this point it doesn't matter what OP comes back with anyway. You've decided he's lying and you are rejecting all possible explanations being provided.

Personally if I were him I'd tell you to get on your bike and refuse to provide further verification just to satisfy your petty instinct to try to shame him further.
  • __Di__
    Options

But OP has already 'come clean' about his previous running and cycling providing him a base level of fitness.

At this point it doesn't matter what OP comes back with anyway. You've decided he's lying and you are rejecting all possible explanations being provided.

Personally if I were him I'd tell you to get on your bike and refuse to provide further verification just to satisfy your petty instinct to try to shame him further.

He has neve4r answered me from the very beginning, therefore, I do not expect anything further anyway.

He said the HM time, nobody asked and then he said they never broke a sweat and chatted all the way around the run.

Look, if you are going to come up with facts and figures, it is a good idea to make sure they are realistic and are in the official results whereby everybody on the internet can see, otherwise yes, you will indeed look stupid.

As for what you think of me asking questions, I really couldn't care less whether you find my asking uncomfortable or not, I do not need your permission to ask bona fide questions relating to this thread :)