Growing old gracefully? ????⌛

Options
VeganLexi
VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
I'm watching a programme called "How Not to Get Old" at the moment, the usual crap about wanting to look younger.
I was wondering, am I the only one that doesn't care? I'm 33 next and all of my friends are obsessed with creams/potions/lotions and they spend a fortune!!
Then we have the poor sods who feel so bad about themselves or feel some kind of pressure that they are having god knows what injected in to their faces...it makes me wince!

What are your opinions on the inevitability of getting/looking old?

Personally, I'm just going to stick to eating a plant based diet and only using natural ingrediants on my skin, I don't have wrinkles yet but when I do get them, I won't give a fudge!

:drinker:

Replies

• _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I am 34, it is what it is. I do moisturize and all that jazz.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The only alternative to getting old is being six feet under, so I'll take old any day!! :laugh:
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I totally just posted this on my wall 54 minutes ago. - Thought for the day: When I get old, I DON'T want people saying "what a sweet old man he is".....I want them to say "Oh crap, What's he up to now?"
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am 34, it is what it is. I do moisturize and all that jazz.

This.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to see what my lady parts look like when I'm 80.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm just going to stick to eating a plant based diet and only using natural ingrediants on my skin....

I'd rather rub lab created and tested on my face then do this. To each their own.

I call it better living through chemistry, and as a research chemist I also call it job security :wink:
  • pawnstarNate
    Options
    ok, so I'm really starting to see a little crows feet when I smile. What'sa guy to do about that? I wanna stay babyfaced forever!!!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and, while I don't want to look older than my age, I don't mind growing older. After 30 turning 40 was no biggie. Now I use a moisturizer and occasional eye cream when I remember.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I turned 45 and I'm doing what I can to take care of my body and mind naturally. The key (in my opinion) to growing old gracefully is not spending time trying to stop the inevitable. :smile:
  • pawnstarNate
    Options
    I can't wait to see what my lady parts look like when I'm 80.

I think there is an APP for that
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Doing: dermatological consensus skin care (chemical exfoliant, sunscreen)

Would do: temporary fillers

Wouldn't do: surgery (not that I think anything's wrong with it, it just goes wrong so often even for people who can afford the best)

Otherwise, yeah taking prevention seriously for general physical & cognitive health, that is def part of my fitness equation. I would really like to be able to hike and carry on conversations and stuff later on.

Don't see any problem with wanting to look attractive.. I am pretty sure Sophia Loren and Helen Mirren have done stuff.
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    I turned 45 and I'm doing what I can to take care of my body and mind naturally. The key (in my opinion) to growing old gracefully is not spending time trying to stop the inevitable. :smile:

Exactly!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I didn't care when I was 33 either.

:cry:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I will stick with weight training. It seems to have frozen me in time while everyone around me is whithering.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I get "I'm too old for you."

For me it's just a number.
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    I didn't care when I was 33 either.

:cry:

This is my point, my friends are all pretty much my age and they are obsessed with it...

Life is too short for this crap.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Don't care. I know too many women who are in their 40's or 50's and try so hard to look younger, it makes me feel bad for them.. They wear clothes from stores that target young adults, go out to bars full of college age kids. My mom is pre-occupied with covering her gray hair, being skinny, putting creams on age spots and wrinkles.

I find it incredibly sad.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Nothing I can do about the way I look, so I don't.

If I'm judged on my looks and judged critically, that's the breaks. I've come to accept my looks. If I were a gal, I'd do me.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I am 50, I think I look pretty good for my age though I have noticed in the last few yrs I sm starting to age (show my age). I do what I can to take care of myself eatingright, exercising, moisturizers, massages, but I dont do surgery, botox or anything like that, but to each his own
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Nothing I can do about the way I look, so I don't.

If I'm judged on my looks and judged critically, that's the breaks. I've come to accept my looks. If I were a gal, I'd do me.

That's what makes me sad about those who obsess over it. To have lived 40-50 years and still be concerned with how 'good' you look to others.

To think if the time that could be spent thinking about your family or friends and enjoying life.