Growing old gracefully? ????⌛

Options

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Don't care. I know too many women who are in their 40's or 50's and try so hard to look younger, it makes me feel bad for them.. They wear clothes from stores that target young adults, go out to bars full of college age kids. My mom is pre-occupied with covering her gray hair, being skinny, putting creams on age spots and wrinkles.

I find it incredibly sad.

Idk about the bars and that, but nothing changes in terms of wanting to feel attractive. Screw 'graceful', I'm fighting.

I bet you'll change your tune when you get older.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    The number itself doesn't mean anything.
    Taking care of your health so you can enjoy life, family, etc.
    That's what's important.
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If I had the money I'd jack my whole face up with Botox faster than you could say wrinkle cream
  • madworld1
    Options
    I'm 33. I've got major bags under my eyes. I'm self-conscious of them. I had the opportunity to get restylane or juviderm injected. But, I thought about it long and hard. I'm not going to do it because, at some point, you have to accept that you are going to get wrinkles and bags.

I look forward to aging gracefully without injections or surgeries. I still use lotions/creams, but that's because they make my skin feel good. :)
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I an 70. Never had a face lift. Take good care of my skin. If make up on remove than further wash than tone than a daytime moisturizer. At bight wash tone than a nighttime moisture. I dont lay out in the sun. I the sun often. I also exfokiate to take off dead skin cells once a week. I work for a Japanese skincare company. I love skincare.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I didn't care when I was 33 either.

:cry:

This is my point, my friends are all pretty much my age and they are obsessed with it...

Life is too short for this crap.

If you want to have your body in shape why not want to have your skin reflect it?

I am not advocating botox and fillers..but why not use moisturisers and such?

Do you use nail polish?
  • madworld1
    Options
    I turned 45 and I'm doing what I can to take care of my body and mind naturally. The key (in my opinion) to growing old gracefully is not spending time trying to stop the inevitable. :smile:

Yes! :-)
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Be Helen Mirren?

2ptyulf.jpg
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and have been taking care of my skin since I'm 14 or so, body and face.

Haven't had any injections yet but I might consider it later.
    I'm not against p,attic surgery either. Might get it when I need it.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Don't care. I know too many women who are in their 40's or 50's and try so hard to look younger, it makes me feel bad for them.. They wear clothes from stores that target young adults, go out to bars full of college age kids. My mom is pre-occupied with covering her gray hair, being skinny, putting creams on age spots and wrinkles.

I find it incredibly sad.

LOL. I'm 42. I shop mostly at Old Navy and whatever other stores are in the mall. I live in a college town with lots of bars that always have a mixed-age crowd, so I don't have too much of a choice there if I want to go out at night. I've been dyeing the gray out of my hair for years. And I keep myself in shape. Is there an age at which I should let myself go? I don't think so.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use a moisturizer for my face but not because I believe it makes me 10 years younger or will prevent any wrinkles. To me skin care is the same category as straightening your hair, putting lotion on your legs or using make-up, it's a way of taking care of yourself on the outside, and make you look/feel better. :smile:

But it is kinda sad when people are desperately trying to stop time, yes you can try to look your best, but no you can't stop the aging process.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I will probably be like blanch on the golden girls!! :)
    I dont spend alot of $$ on potions i do research and buy cheap
    Wonderful products, like st.ives and queen helene, i think i look better now at 29 than at 20!
    Seems like my face is rearraging itself ok at the moment.
    Good thing I have a great plastic surgeon in case I decide to go that way!
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Remember what Popeye used to say? "I yam what I yam, and that's what I yam. I''m Popeye the sailor man!" I think that sums it up nicely.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm watching a programme called "How Not to Get Old" at the moment, the usual crap about wanting to look younger.
    I was wondering, am I the only one that doesn't care? I'm 33 next and all of my friends are obsessed with creams/potions/lotions and they spend a fortune!!
    Then we have the poor sods who feel so bad about themselves or feel some kind of pressure that they are having god knows what injected in to their faces...it makes me wince!

What are your opinions on the inevitability of getting/looking old?

Personally, I'm just going to stick to eating a plant based diet and only using natural ingrediants on my skin, I don't have wrinkles yet but when I do get them, I won't give a fudge!

:drinker:

Oh boy, when I was your age, I was that naive too. Did you think the same when you were 16, as you do now, at what was important or not, or what you were going to do or not?

You don't know what are you going to do when you are 60 and beyond, because you are not there yet. Time will tell girl, so don't judge older people until you are one of them.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If I had the money I'd jack my whole face up with Botox faster than you could say wrinkle cream

^^ This. And to add on, cut, tuck and suck me. (Hmm...wording...)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I turned 45 and I'm doing what I can to take care of my body and mind naturally. The key (in my opinion) to growing old gracefully is not spending time trying to stop the inevitable. :smile:

Yes! :-)

Do you read a newspaper or follow information on news or documentaries?

The `inevitable` is what you allow it to be in your realm of life.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am fifty six, and to a lot of people on this site I am probably "old"...But I don't feel any different than I did when I was twenty five! Granted, there's some minor aches and pains, but nothing I can't put up with...About growing old gracefully...Most middle age to senior folks want to look as attractive as possible FOR THEIR AGE...I think that this is, probably, normal...Some folks are trying to look like a teenager, but this is not me...Yes, I dye my hair...Yes, I'm on a lifestyle change at this age because I put on a TON of weight going thru menopause, and I've always been fairly thin, so I feel unattractive...Aging gracefully is great, but you can also do your best to look as good as possible for ANY age...Just my two cents...

Reaan
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I didn't care when I was in my 30s. I didn't really care when I was in my 40s. I began to care, however, when I hit 50, and the skin around my eyelids starting getting a little droopy. Now I'm 55 (not sure how the hell *that* happened - LOL) and now that I've lost some weight, my double chin has gotten smaller and I am seeing the (sigh) dreaded wrinkles of time. I don't like the wrinkles of time, I don't like them at all! I never thought I'd ever be this vain, but it really bothers me. And, while I have no desire to use botox or anything like that, I find myself wondering... if someone offered me some all-expenses paid cosmetic surgery (with a guarantee I wouldn't die on the table), would I accept? And right now, today, my answer would probably be yes.

All in all, however, I'm mostly grateful I wake up on the right side of the grass each morning. :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and have never regularly worn make-up when I was young so I won't start now.

I have no designer toiletries in my bathroom and I would never have anything like botox etc.

What will be, will be.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Today's my 35th birthday, and so I am starting to feel a little old (stop laughing 45+ y/o people!), but only because I do intense sports and feel like I only have so long before I can't keep improving. But then I remember that some of the scariest people I have ever wrestled with have been 40-50 somethings with a lot of experience and Brick Sh*thouse tough from decades of sticking with it. I would very much like to be one of those guys!

As for growing old in general, I feel very comfortable with that. (Especially since I assume that within 30 years I'll be able to buy a cyborg/clone body and live forever, Muahahahhaha!!!)

On the plus side today, one of the other guys this morning guessed 26 for my birthday... so that's pretty cool.

8777~Growing-Old-Is-Not-for-Sissies-Man-Poster.jpg