Growing old gracefully? ????⌛

Options

Replies

• VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm watching a programme called "How Not to Get Old" at the moment, the usual crap about wanting to look younger.
    I was wondering, am I the only one that doesn't care? I'm 33 next and all of my friends are obsessed with creams/potions/lotions and they spend a fortune!!
    Then we have the poor sods who feel so bad about themselves or feel some kind of pressure that they are having god knows what injected in to their faces...it makes me wince!

What are your opinions on the inevitability of getting/looking old?

Personally, I'm just going to stick to eating a plant based diet and only using natural ingrediants on my skin, I don't have wrinkles yet but when I do get them, I won't give a fudge!

:drinker:
    I JUST commented on a friend's FB status about this.

I honestly think the obsession with youth is more about a fear of death than it is actually about appearance.

Personally, I don't like the idea of looking old. But at the same time, I'm not going to take extreme measures to stop the aging process. I have a friend who at 40 looks about 25 -- great! But she also will NOT go in the sun for even short periods of time. At the beach, she's covered in sunscreen, clothing and sitting under an umbrella. She won't go in the water because she doesn't want to expose her skin to the sun. It isn't worth it to me.

I put on lotion every day. I don't smoke or drink much and I exercise and eat healthy. That's the best anyone's getting out of me.

I spent a year living and working in Taiwan (got back in April this year), they don't go out in the sun (cover up/high SPF/umbrellas) because they a) don't want to have tanned skin and b) they don't want to look older than their years....
    I don't "sunbathe" per se, I live in England :laugh: but I think it's fine to get some SPF on the skin and get a bit of sun...it's so important to get some sunshine, everyone needs vitamin D to absorb calcium and phosphorus from their diet....
    I'm with you regarding the fear of death...I'm much more fearful of dying than if a get wrinkles...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm watching a programme called "How Not to Get Old" at the moment, the usual crap about wanting to look younger.
    I was wondering, am I the only one that doesn't care? I'm 33 next and all of my friends are obsessed with creams/potions/lotions and they spend a fortune!!
    Then we have the poor sods who feel so bad about themselves or feel some kind of pressure that they are having god knows what injected in to their faces...it makes me wince!

Personally, I'm just going to stick to eating a plant based diet and only using natural ingrediants on my skin, I don't have wrinkles yet but when I do get them, I won't give a fudge!

I honestly think the obsession with youth is more about a fear of death than it is actually about appearance.

Personally, I don't like the idea of looking old. But at the same time, I'm not going to take extreme measures to stop the aging process. I have a friend who at 40 looks about 25 -- great! But she also will NOT go in the sun for even short periods of time. At the beach, she's covered in sunscreen, clothing and sitting under an umbrella. She won't go in the water because she doesn't want to expose her skin to the sun. It isn't worth it to me.

I put on lotion every day. I don't smoke or drink much and I exercise and eat healthy. That's the best anyone's getting out of me.

I spent a year living and working in Taiwan (got back in April this year), they don't go out in the sun (cover up/high SPF/umbrellas) because they a) don't want to have tanned skin and b) they don't want to look older than their years....
    I don't "sunbathe" per se, I live in England :laugh: but I think it's fine to get some SPF on the skin and get a bit of sun...it's so important to get some sunshine, everyone needs vitamin D to absorb calcium and phosphorus from their diet....
    I'm with you regarding the fear of death...I'm much more fearful of dying than if a get wrinkles...
    If you're wearing sunscren, you're not absorbing the vitamin D. But you only need something like 10-15 minutes of direct sunlight a day for the benefits, which shouldn't have any real detrimental effect unless you have already had skin cancer or something.

I wear sunscreen if I'm going to be out for an extended period, especially midday. Mostly it's because I have fair skin and while I'm not so fearful of aging, it's not comfortable wearing a bra when you're burnt to a crisp! lol

But there is no SPF high enough to keep me from getting some color if I'm out for a while. And I like swimming in the ocean A LOT and in pools, too. I just enjoy being outside and enjoying myself. I'm in Florida, so lots of sun and HOT. Covering up in the summer isn't comfortable, either.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I think when I get old I will care much more about how I feel than how I look. But I do think when you are doing what this site says and you are staying active and eating healthy there is no doubt that will for surely help you to look in your best shape and feel in your best shape. I don't go all out with the fancy products to prevent aging. I just use a simple witch hazel bar soap to clean my face and it gets it very clean and prevents any type of breakouts. rarely do I get acne. And I use a simple $10 Mehron Celebre Pro foundation that is like a cream base you put on with a sponge. And I wear light makeup. I do in the winter time add fragrance oil from the health food store to my bath water and that will keep your skin from being dry and in good shape. And taking a good multivitamin will help hair and skin quite a bit as well and drinking lots of water.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Nope not planning on growing old gracefully...wait a moment I am old compared to many here. I am however growing old and will grow older. I plan to enjoy every moment of my growing. So I play futbol (soccer) with 20-30-40 year olds, run with my daughter who is on cross country team and am working on my master's degree. My mind and body are active and I take care and try to not break things (bones especially) as they take longer for the body to repair. So far I seem to be enjoying life (good parts and bad) and find it all very interesting. Forget the creams I have earned every wrinkle (good experiences and bad) and my grey hair is mine...until my wife dyed it. <grin>
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    <
    will be 49 in a couple of months....screw growing old.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    ok, so I'm really starting to see a little crows feet when I smile. What'sa guy to do about that? I wanna stay babyfaced forever!!!

Stop smiling
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    This why I have decided not to age. 36 has been my best year yet so I've decided ill just stay here ;).
    I believe if you feel young then you are.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 23. I hope to look as beautiful as many of you do. :) I hope I look good when I'm older.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 31, a mother of 2 so therefore my money goes to my children and not magical creams and plastic surgeons. However, I moisturize, drink tons of water, DO NOT TAN, exercise and eat pretty well.... Sooo it is what it :)
  • VeganLexi
    Options

If you're wearing sunscren, you're not absorbing the vitamin D. But you only need something like 10-15 minutes of direct sunlight a day for the benefits, which shouldn't have any real detrimental effect unless you have already had skin cancer or something.

I wear sunscreen if I'm going to be out for an extended period, especially midday. Mostly it's because I have fair skin and while I'm not so fearful of aging, it's not comfortable wearing a bra when you're burnt to a crisp! lol

But there is no SPF high enough to keep me from getting some color if I'm out for a while. And I like swimming in the ocean A LOT and in pools, too. I just enjoy being outside and enjoying myself. I'm in Florida, so lots of sun and HOT. Covering up in the summer isn't comfortable, either.

I wore sunscreen in Taiwan (insanely hot in the summer)...not so much here in England. I only wear it when spending a sufficient amount of time outside (which isn't often during the week). I miss the sunshine...
  • rml_16
    Options
    I wore sunscreen in Taiwan (insanely hot in the summer)...not so much here in England. I only wear it when spending a sufficient amount of time outside (which isn't often during the week). I miss the sunshine...

When I exercise outdoors, I'm usually out an hour to 90 minutes (usually in the early morning or late afternoon) and I don't bother with sunscreen then. But we were at the beach for three hours Tuesday. I put it on before we went and reapplied after every dip in the water and still ended up with a bit of a burn.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, and still more worried about pimples than wrinkles. But I will color the hell out of my hair.
  • VeganLexi
    Options

When I exercise outdoors, I'm usually out an hour to 90 minutes (usually in the early morning or late afternoon) and I don't bother with sunscreen then. But we were at the beach for three hours Tuesday. I put it on before we went and reapplied after every dip in the water and still ended up with a bit of a burn.

I'd love to live near the beach...so good for the soul.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I was smart enough (scared enough?) to stay off of drugs when I was younger. I do believe that has a lot to do with my health now at 43 years old.
    However, I was stupid enough to spend a LOT of time in the sun and my skin cancer has the proof.
    The only time I am reminded of my age is when I have the shoulder and knee pain as a result of the Army and being invincable.

In my opinion, as a man, aging gracefully means acting your age.
    For example, as a 43 year old married man, I am not going to go out and buy a used Honda Civic with a fart can and lowered suspension.
    I might however go out and buy a 1967 Camaro....

I am not going to go surfing just to hang around the teenage girls but, I will admit that I cannot help but smile when I hear my daughter very proudly tell the young people on the beach "Thats MY Daddy" as I am coming back out of the waves...

What's a fart can? :laugh:
    It must be a lovely feeling to have a daughter who is so proud of you!
    A "fart can" is that stupid huge exhaust that the kids put on the small Japanese cars to make them obnoxiously loud.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Aging doesn't bother me in the slightest, I've never been somebody who has the looks that make the difference anyway. Even what I'm doing here isn't about appearance, it's about getting healthy........
  • rml_16
    Options

I do love it. Though we're not as close as I'd like. The nearest really decent one is an hour and a half away and that's the Gulf, which doesn't always have great waves (I love diving into them!). We went to Jacksonville for a couple days, though. My best friend lives there and it's on the Atlantic. There's a storm offshore and the waves were insane, though. No time between them and a strong current. Still tons of fun.

And we met a guy from England while we were there. lol He apparently spends six weeks here every year.
  • VeganLexi
    Options

I do love it. Though we're not as close as I'd like. The nearest really decent one is an hour and a half away and that's the Gulf, which doesn't always have great waves (I love diving into them!). We went to Jacksonville for a couple days, though. My best friend lives there and it's on the Atlantic. There's a storm offshore and the waves were insane, though. No time between them and a strong current. Still tons of fun.

And we met a guy from England while we were there. lol He apparently spends six weeks here every year.

The nearest decent beach to us is down south (St. Ives and Carbis Bay), its a good 7 hour drive :cry:
    Carbis%20Bay%20Beach2.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options

The nearest decent beach to us is down south (St. Ives and Carbis Bay), its a good 7 hour drive :cry:
    Carbis%20Bay%20Beach2.jpg
    That IS a hike! I didn't grow up near the beach. I didn't see the ocean until I was 12. We were probably at least seven hours from any back (aside from lakes). I'm making up for it now.

And I want to live in Cornwall someday. It's just so beautiful! I want to live there and write novels.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'll be 43 in a couple weeks and I'm just beginning to wrinkle. My first and only (besides a few eye crinkles) is a deep one between my eyes caused by squinting. Ladies, wear sunglasses... and sunscreen according to my dermatologist .