Who Eats Processed And Still Gets Good Results

Options

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    They usually just stumble across opinion articles or blogs. I have seen people post links to studies that supposedly back up their claim that actually refute it or have nothing to do with what their point was.
    So what did you find on your Google adventure?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, so i can lose weight eating whatever I want - knew that! Moderation and within calorie goal is the key. BUT shouldn't there be some restictions when trying to lose body fat % and increase LBM??? heavy lifting.....big heavy ol' weights....should be fueling with good wholesome foods right? Maybe no alcohol? Low on the sugar and this includes fruite especially one high on the glycemic index.

A banana is an excellent food to help fuel a workout.
  • ksuh999
    Options
    Hmmmm, so i can lose weight eating whatever I want - knew that! Moderation and within calorie goal is the key. BUT shouldn't there be some restictions when trying to lose body fat % and increase LBM??? heavy lifting.....big heavy ol' weights....should be fueling with good wholesome foods right? Maybe no alcohol? Low on the sugar and this includes fruite especially one high on the glycemic index.

Excuse me, we're way off tangent here, stop answering the OP's quetions please.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    They usually just stumble across opinion articles or blogs. I have seen people post links to studies that supposedly back up their claim that actually refute it or have nothing to do with what their point was.

Don't be silly. These Google adventures take a lot longer than that...

...especially for one as easily distracted by lolcats as he is.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You asked
    why do you actually want to when better alternatives exist?

And I was just answering your question.

As for my last sentence, it was more said in general frustration by those that like to look down on said processed things (meat from the deli, frozen veggies, etc).

But to add on to that, what makes you think there are those that don't prefer the taste to frozen or processed over fresh? Some people actually do and my last sentence could also be attributed to a rebuttal to your statement:

I did ask a question – why do you actually want to when better alternatives exist?. If you can’t afford it or don’t have the time, that doesn't mean that you don’t WANT to eat it, it means that in your situation, it means that no better alternatives exist, right?

Better is very subjective.

Sausages and all their variants are by definition heavily processed. I'd take a loaded bratwurst over an organic grass fed steak any day. A pile of salami over a plain ol organic chicken breast.

Love a good corned beef brisket as compared to a regular brisket (of course we all (?) know that corned beef uses saltpeter, aka gunpowder, as part of the process to make it). I don't give a crap what the naysayers say, hot dogs are one of my favorite foods. I love honey ham on a sandwich.

Processed meats ARE the better alternative, contrary to the central point of your argument.
  • ksuh999
    Options
    http://examine.com/faq/what-should-i-eat-for-weight-loss.html

Eating more protein helps with preserving LBM.

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Haven't started searching yet. I wait until I am at home on my desktop.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

http://bacontoday.com/top-10-reasons-bacon-is-actually-healthy-for-you/
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Don't be silly. These Google adventures take a lot longer than that...

...especially for one as easily distracted by lolcats as he is.

Usually it is Youtube that distracts me. I was sucked into two hours of Jenna Marbles over the weekend.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    What the......????
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Its all about calories in vs calories out caloric defecate

this made me laugh.

because sometimes using the wrong word is much funnier. :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Excuse me, we're way off tangent here, stop answering the OP's quetions please.

Ooop ...my bad :happy:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

and the carcinogen levels in charred meat cooked on an open fire obviously wasn't detrimental enough to our middle palaeolithic ancestor populations to offset the gain in brain size that occurred as a result of cooking meat on an open fire instead of eating it raw, which increased the bioavailability of nutrients in meat. We evolved to eat charred meat cooked on fires, we owe our brain size to it. Barbequed meat probably tastes so good because we're descended from the human populations who liked the taste of fire cooked meat and thus got more nutrition and thus evolved bigger brains. So I'm going to eat my barbequed and grilled meat, especially the charred bits. :drinker:
    Carcinogens prevent brains from getting big?

no.....

human brain size got bigger in the middle palaeolithic era (compared to lower palaeolithic humans) because humans started cooking food on open fires. This made the nutrients in meat more bioavailable, so our ancestors who ate cooked meat were better fed than those who didn't, the better fed ones, over lots and lots and lots of generations, could evolve bigger brains, because natural selection favoured bigger brains as long as humans were able to get enough nutrition to grow and feed a larger brain.

If there is a slight increase in carcinogens in meat cooked on an open fire, the increase wasn't enough to stop our ancestors surviving by cooking meat on open fires, or enough to make them go extinct rather than carry on eating fire cooked meat and evolving larger brains.

If the charred bits on fire-cooked meat was that detrimental to human populations, then the populations that ate cooked meat would have died out, while the ones that ate raw meat would have survived, and we'd all be living with a lower palaeolithic level of technology (i.e. pre- controlled use of fire), eating scavenged lion-kill and arguing about who can make the sharpest hand axe, rather than having stupid, typed arguments with strangers on the internet using computers and electricity about whether processed food is good for you or not.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I would find it extremely bizarre if palaeo dieters are telling people not to eat grilled meat because of the charred bits. You honestly can't get more paleo than meat cooked on an open fire.....
    You're missing the point...

no... I was revelling in the potential irony if any paleo dieter ever claims that people shouldn't eat meat that's a bit charred around the edges
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Sausages and all their variants are by definition heavily processed. I'd take a loaded bratwurst over an organic grass fed steak any day. A pile of salami over a plain ol organic chicken breast.

Love a good corned beef brisket as compared to a regular brisket. I don't give a crap what the naysayers say, hot dogs are one of my favorite foods. I love honey ham on a sandwich.

Processed meats ARE the better alternative, contrary to the central point of your argument.
    How exactly is processed meat a better alternative than natural meat? Not in terms of IIFYM theory, I mean in terms of food quality.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Love a good corned beef brisket as compared to a regular brisket. I don't give a crap what the naysayers say, hot dogs are one of my favorite foods. I love honey ham on a sandwich.

How exactly is processed meat a better alternative than natural meat? Not in terms of IIFYM theory, I mean in terms of food quality.

Does it have to be in regards to quality? Why can't it be his preference in regards to taste?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I believe by "better" he means "I like them more."
  • ksuh999
    Options

and the carcinogen levels in charred meat cooked on an open fire obviously wasn't detrimental enough to our middle palaeolithic ancestor populations to offset the gain in brain size that occurred as a result of cooking meat on an open fire instead of eating it raw, which increased the bioavailability of nutrients in meat. We evolved to eat charred meat cooked on fires, we owe our brain size to it. Barbequed meat probably tastes so good because we're descended from the human populations who liked the taste of fire cooked meat and thus got more nutrition and thus evolved bigger brains. So I'm going to eat my barbequed and grilled meat, especially the charred bits. :drinker:

no.....

human brain size got bigger in the middle palaeolithic era (compared to lower palaeolithic humans) because humans started cooking food on open fires. This made the nutrients in meat more bioavailable, so our ancestors who ate cooked meat were better fed than those who didn't, the better fed ones, over lots and lots and lots of generations, could evolve bigger brains, because natural selection favoured bigger brains as long as humans were able to get enough nutrition to grow and feed a larger brain.

If there is a slight increase in carcinogens in meat cooked on an open fire, the increase wasn't enough to stop our ancestors surviving by cooking meat on open fires, or enough to make them go extinct rather than carry on eating fire cooked meat and evolving larger brains.

If the charred bits on fire-cooked meat was that detrimental to human populations, then the populations that ate cooked meat would have died out, while the ones that ate raw meat would have survived, and we'd all be living with a lower palaeolithic level of technology (i.e. pre- controlled use of fire), eating scavenged lion-kill and arguing about who can make the sharpest hand axe, rather than having stupid, typed arguments with strangers on the internet using computers and electricity about whether processed food is good for you or not.
    Good grief.

I'll stop being obtuse and say that carcinogens had nothing to do with brain size.

You might as well replace the word "carcinogen" with "telephone poles" in your response and it would have the same relevancy.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Like sliced deli meat I assume?

Yep I eat it! But I do go for the 'low-sodium' turkey I get sliced at the counter. :wink:
  • neandermagnon
    Options

no.....

Good grief.

I'll stop being obtuse and say that carcinogens had nothing to do with brain size.

You might as well replace the word "carcinogen" with "telephone poles" in your response and it would have the same relevancy.

people on this thread are saying that people shouldn't eat meat that's been cooked above a certain temperature because the charred bits contain carcinogens, and that it's safer to boil meat.... that's what all of what I said is in response to. If eating cooked meat was dangerous, we wouldn't have evolved beyond the lower palaeolithic era.

your statement "carcinogens had nothing to do with brain size" is not related to anything i was trying to say, and I still don't understand why you're saying it.