Like Minded Lushes - August 2010

Options
I woke up on my couch in the fog of a hangover and realized it's August. So gang, that means it's time to check in. How did you do compared to the goals you posted at the beginning of July?

I said I wanted to lose another 10 pounds and drink at most 3 times a week. Well, over a week ago I was as -6 for the month of July. But I've had a bad week and haven't weighed myself today. I'll post tomorrow after a morning weigh in but I think I put back on a couple. As for alcohol, well hell, I didn't try very hard!

Anyway, let everyone know how you're doing with staying on the wagon within your own goals, and most importantly if you have seen success in doing that and with the scale, BY ALL MEANS tell us so you can motivate us!

Replies

• iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Happy August! I did okay in July. I did finally get past the hump and lost a few pounds. I managed to keep the drinking to no more than twice a week, although I'd really like to limit it to once. But eh, any progress is progress! I'm not holding out too much hope for behaving for the whole month of August, since I'm headed to Key West for vacation next week. But since we walk EVERYWHERE, at least I'll be exercising while imbibing!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    July wasn't my finest moment. I only lost 2 pounds and I drank much more than I wanted to. I have a major goal I would like to acheive in two weeks meaning I need to lose three more pounds to make it. I am planning on being really good. Only wine on Friday and maybe Saturday with dinner. nothing else until camping in two weeks. hey at least I was gutsy enough to post a picture last month. and I have done really well even thought this wasn't the best month.

Hey wish me luck with the reunion. I am better than them but it is still really hard to go somewhere where you are irrationally hated.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    bump check in later
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options
    I think I want to be in on this. I just need to decide what my lush-related goals are going to be! :tongue:

I allow myself a glass of wine with dinner each night, which has been working for me and definitely is less than what I used to do. I allow myself a little more leeway on weekends, and I think that's OK too, but I've never really defined what my weekend guidelines are, and I think it's probably a good idea to do that. I'm still noodling that... (And I'm pretty sure whatever guidelines I establish, I totally exceeded them yesterday! LOL.)
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Will weigh in tomorrow and let you know the final results

Goal for this month is to record every single rotten drink that goes down the hatch...I'm warning you all, it could be U-G-L-Y...but, the only way to know where your at is to keep track

Anyone else interested in doing this? See who the winner or loser is?
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My July goals were to actually weigh what my ticker says I weigh (156)--this did not happen (still closer to 158). I did well with my goals of about six drinks per week in no more than three episodes. Only exceeded once or twice, and only by one or two drinks. And I had one full dry week in there. But it did not do one damn thing to make me thinner. I heard Dr. Ian (the Fat Smash diet guy, from Celebrity Fit Club) refer to alcohol as liquid fat on a TV show yesterday. It is certainly a vivid characterization, but I don't know if it is vivid enough to make me stop drinking the liquid fat, which seems a lot nicer when you call it pinot gris or Ketel One.

August's goals: 154 lbs, to make my ticker true and then some; and the same 6 drinks a week, but on 4 days or fewer. That will give me a few nights to enjoy one glass of wine. I am thinking I gotta go completely dry by the end of the month to give my body a break during marathon training, so I am going to let myself enjoy August a little.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am ashamed to admit I had 2 alcohol free beers last night. Pah call myself a lush?? In fact I can't believe they're allowed to call it beer, as beer is an alcoholic drink.
  • samdempsey38
    Options
    I managed to keep to 3 nights a week but did not lose any weight, I did not put any on either so a draw over the month. I will have to try harder i August :smile:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    non-alcoholic beer sounds like a waste of good calories! I just got back from the Oregon Coast where we drank near constantly. But I will try to record all drinks, keep to 3 times a week and 3 drinks per evening. Lofty goals!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Surly - I woke up the same way. apparently, I took the time to eat properly on Saturday night, but then hit the vodka/soda's like there was a shortage of vodka or something. 4 at dinner, 8 at the concert, 2 more at the pub, then when we got to the 80's dance club, it was over. Shots flowed, still drinking the vodka soda's... I bet I was at 20+ drinks at that point!

That's when I realized it was like - +2000 calories in vodka :noway:

As for my July goals - I did workout 4 days a week! The nights I had crossfit, it kept me from the bottle. The days I worked out in the morning - all bets were off! It was also a very hot month, so a lot of time spent poolside, with beer in beercozy! Didn't lose anywhere near 4-6 pounds. My report shows only 1 pound. :grumble: DARNED LIQUID FAT!! :laugh:

AUGUST - I think I will add a "DRINK" section to my food journal that way I can keep track of what I'm drinking. My girls go back to pre-school this week and for the first time in 4 years I will get
    !!! 3 FULL DAYS TO MYSELF !!!:glasses: :glasses: :glasses:
    I'm thinking this will help!
    I also have my annual physical, so I should try to detox over the next 2 weeks before my appointment :ohwell:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Well, I met my July goals, but they weren't very lofty to begin with! :laugh: I continued my trend of only drinking 1-2 times a week; it's easy when you're dead broke. And I DID hit my first mini-goal! :drinker: Of course, I'm already back up a bit, but yesterday was the first day of my TOM and I was at a 1-year-old's birthday party, so I'm not counting this morning's weight! Just glad it was only 1lb and not 10!

For August, I'll keep up my 1-2 nights of drinking per week, and try to hit my next mini-goal. Also, I'm planning to keep up with my C25K routine. Starting Week2 tonight!! :happy:
  • nisijam5
    Options
    4 lbs lost total for the month

FYI, for those of you who drink like 4 a week , I don't think your a lush at all....This month I am reporting every single drink 'cause , if unchecked, my intake can range into the 20 to 30's. Here goes to a sober month

Good luck All....
  • rjadams
    Options
    So it is Monday and I am gazing into my crystal ball. :glasses: I see a strong motivated woman staying on track all week. I do see wine with dinner on Friday night:drinker: and I see a faint possibility of wine with dinner on Saturday:laugh: . then there seems to be more determination and no reapearance of alcohol until the following Friday. :bigsmile:

So I am going to make this vision come true. I am strong and motivated this morning.

I can do this! I can do this! I can do this! I can do this! I can do this! I can do this! I can do this! oooohhhh please let me do this:blushing: .
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    So it is Monday and I am gazing into my crystal ball. :glasses: I see a strong motivated woman staying on track all week. I do see wine with dinner on Friday night:drinker: and I see a faint possibility of wine with dinner on Saturday:laugh: . then there seems to be more determination and no reapearance of alcohol until the following Friday. :bigsmile:

ooohhh you saw me in your crystal ball!!! :laugh: well at least I hope that'll be me anyway.....Good luck
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ah, I love you guys! It's nice to have a "no judgment" zone where we can freely discuss alcohol intake without fear of reprisal. I love the "liquid fat" idea. That's better than "empty calories." Because let's face it, they may be empty, but they're still calories! I did actually set up several of my favorite cocktails in "My Foods." Oh man, was that a humbling experience the first time I added them all in! It really doesn't take much time to be pushing 1,000 calories and higher just on vodka and diet soda! I'm trying to convince myself that I really will track my intake while on vacation, but I don't think I'm being very successful at it.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Ah, I love you guys! It's nice to have a "no judgment" zone where we can freely discuss alcohol intake without fear of reprisal. I love the "liquid fat" idea. That's better than "empty calories." Because let's face it, they may be empty, but they're still calories! I did actually set up several of my favorite cocktails in "My Foods." Oh man, was that a humbling experience the first time I added them all in! It really doesn't take much time to be pushing 1,000 calories and higher just on vodka and diet soda! I'm trying to convince myself that I really will track my intake while on vacation, but I don't think I'm being very successful at it.

I wouldn't even want to know the number:noway: :sad: :blushing:
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even want to know the number:noway: :sad: :blushing:

Ditto on that.

Guys (or should I say gals for the most part).... I am a total failure. I have not worked out in a week, have drank daily, the scale is creeping upward on me, and so I start yesterday with the plan to go to the gym and avoid the bar. And I did the exact opposite.

Granted, mentally this week seems like a throw away, what with Alisonengland and her band of Brits (aka family) invading my town Saturday. Baseball + Brits = beer + brats. God save the Queen.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Last night I jogged to the bar. It's 3 miles away. I had two Bud Lights. After I entered my exercise I had exactly 0 calories remaining, perfect.
  • rjadams
    Options
    I had a great day yesterday. good exercise, healthy food within calories and no alcohol. so today I will just do it again. Easy peasy.:tongue: I hope. I can do this. :noway:
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I can't even begin to explain my happiness at finding this thread!! I squealed. At work.

Home drinking is my big problem, I'll open a bottle of wine while making dinner and suddenly it's empty. The label says there are 4 servings so I'm guessing I need smaller wine glasses...
    My August goal is going to be to drink only 2 days/week.