How to avoid MFP Bullies

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    6) Don't call other members "trolls" simply because they answer your question with facts rather than fantasy.

I was called a troll twice this weekend. It was flattering.

Only twice? You're slacking! :laugh:

Yeah, what's up...you de-loading and taking a rest week or what?

Yeah, I am back in the swing though. Planning to hit the reasonable button hard this week!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    1. Do your own research instead of asking a forum. Yep, you may have to think for yourselves...Scary, I know.
    2. If you get advise, don't respond with anything starting with "Yeah, but.." If you don't agree with advise given... repeat step one.
    3. Remember that often in life , a stupid question will receive a stupid answer.
    4. Remember that people you may not like, or who have contradicting opinions also have computers.
    5. If you can't take the heat, don't tickle the dragon.

actually, MFP suggest asking a question even if it's been answered before to encourage new ideas.

and many times, the question may have been asked and no answer has become apparent.

1. There are no new ideas.
    2. There is almost never a definitive answer to most of this stuff.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1. Do your own research instead of asking a forum. Yep, you may have to think for yourselves...Scary, I know.
    2. If you get advise, don't respond with anything starting with "Yeah, but.." If you don't agree with advise given... repeat step one.
    3. Remember that often in life , a stupid question will receive a stupid answer.
    4. Remember that people you may not like, or who have contradicting opinions also have computers.

1)YES to doing your own research first, but newbies haven't caught on and deserve to be gently led in that direction..
    2) HALF YES- repeat a search, but discussion boards are to prompt discussion
    3) NO NO NO NO NO. if you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to reply at all. NO NO NO. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO KEEP YOUR SNARKY YAP SHUT! In LIFE, as in face to face, you wouldn't behave rudely toward strangers.

NEVER FORGET if you click the little down arrow under someone you can ignore any user you want.. USE THIS BUTTON!.

Huh?

I'm more sarcastic and snarky IRL than I am online (because I can better judge the reaction and adjust accordingly).

And I'm not a talking rabbit, so your #3 rule for life doesn't apply to me. I suppose you can live by it if you want though...

...I don't mind.
    I SHALL NOW TAKE MY OWN ADVICE AND EMPLOY THE UN-NUMBERED NUMBER FOUR. CIAO BELLO

I hope that works better for you than it does for me.

Personally, I struggle to resist the urge to undo to see what I missed...

...so instead of saving me from their posts, it actually takes even more time and I still see them...

...not to mention the confusion when their posts are later quoted...

...so best of luck to you on your quest for a world unaffected by my comments.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    also THIS^^ to Jof's answer. I like it better than mine.

alright. EDIT TO SAY. damnit, Jof. I was "thising" your FIFY post, not your obstinate refusal to use the ignore list.

I have like 225 people on mine. (guessing. added a couple today - one of them in this thread!)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness (ahem) I am fascinated that so many people will bypass scientific, government and educational websites and ask a random person for advice. I can only guess that they are looking for human interaction rather than just knowledge. Yeah, I know it's obvious. It's not surprising, just interesting.

The thing that baffles me is that people go through the trouble of telling their life story and describing some portion of their problem instead of hitting the Google machine. You have two choices: (1) type "knee pain from running" into a search engine and read the results, (2) open an account on MFP, get on the forum, start a thread, and type in an entire story and then wait for someone to respond while posting "bump"... "bump"... "bump"... every five minutes. Obviously, (2) is easier. Right? Right?

bump!
  • whierd
    Options

1)YES to doing your own research first, but newbies haven't caught on and deserve to be gently led in that direction..
    2) HALF YES- repeat a search, but discussion boards are to prompt discussion
    3) NO NO NO NO NO. if you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to reply at all. NO NO NO. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO KEEP YOUR SNARKY YAP SHUT! In LIFE, as in face to face, you wouldn't behave rudely toward strangers.

NEVER FORGET if you click the little down arrow under someone you can ignore any user you want.. USE THIS BUTTON!.

Huh?

I'm more sarcastic and snarky IRL than I am online (because I can better judge the reaction and adjust accordingly).

And I'm not a talking rabbit, so your #3 rule for life doesn't apply to me. I suppose you can live by it if you want though...

...I don't mind.
    I SHALL NOW TAKE MY OWN ADVICE AND EMPLOY THE UN-NUMBERED NUMBER FOUR. CIAO BELLO

Could you please just block me now and spare us both the trouble of any interaction?
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

The issues typically discussed here are potentially life threatening (e.g. caloric restriction in order to achieve weight loss).

Anyone who blindly follows advice received on a PUBLIC forum is doing themselves a grave disservice.

At the very least, get some corroboration from a professional if you're going to act on information received from untrained individuals, who have no accountability.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness (ahem) I am fascinated that so many people will bypass scientific, government and educational websites and ask a random person for advice. I can only guess that they are looking for human interaction rather than just knowledge. Yeah, I know it's obvious. It's not surprising, just interesting.

The thing that baffles me is that people go through the trouble of telling their life story and describing some portion of their problem instead of hitting the Google machine. You have two choices: (1) type "knee pain from running" into a search engine and read the results, (2) open an account on MFP, get on the forum, start a thread, and type in an entire story and then wait for someone to respond while posting "bump"... "bump"... "bump"... every five minutes. Obviously, (2) is easier. Right? Right?

bump!

Whatdaya work for Google or something? You know there are more search engines out there than google. No one even thinks about Alta vista anymore.

I'm just tired of the google bias. You can all google this!

Keep the Google monopoly down ask random strangers in MFP! Fight the power!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

bump!

Whatdaya work for Google or something? You know there are more search engines out there than google. No one even thinks about Alta vista anymore.

I'm just tired of the google bias. You can all google this!

Keep the Google monopoly down ask random strangers in MFP! Fight the power!

Actually, I prefer DuckDuckGo and Yandex and Baidu, in that order.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Actually, I prefer DuckDuckGo and Yandex and Baidu, in that order.

OOOO one I havent heard of TY
  • akathatoneguy
    akathatoneguy Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Am I crazy, or does #1 sound like victim blaming and #'s 3 and 5 sound like apologizing for the bullies we're talking about avoiding?

I am a big advocate of doing your own research though, but I also understand that not everybody loves doing so or even has the time to do it. Plus, it can be intimidating with all of the conflicting info and opinions out there.

The best advice is to do the research you can on your own, use the search function if all else fails, and if you do ask for help, just ignore the jerks. Some people are always going to get off on being ****s to random strangers on the internet, unfortunately.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    And use the search button in the forums to find the same question you asked has been asked 9,999 times before.

Dare I ask what's the best HRM to purchase and why? :)
  • whierd
    Options

Am I crazy, or does #1 sound like victim blaming and #'s 3 and 5 sound like apologizing for the bullies we're talking about avoiding?

I am a big advocate of doing your own research though, but I also understand that not everybody loves doing so or even has the time to do it. Plus, it can be intimidating with all of the conflicting info and opinions out there.

The best advice is to do the research you can on your own, use the search function if all else fails, and if you do ask for help, just ignore the jerks. Some people are always going to get off on being ****s to random strangers on the internet, unfortunately.

Because people getting upset about receiving science-backed advice are victims?

I think you may have missed the underlying point.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    6) Don't call other members "trolls" simply because they answer your question with facts rather than fantasy.

i was called a troll because in a thread where a woman was complaining about "verbal abuse" by softball coaches on 12/13 year old girls who play on a travel ball team, i responded with my opinion that i welcome the yelling and tough love coaching that these girls recieve. i have 4 girls who play, and if they are not getting yelled at by their coach when they do something stupid, better believe its going to be 10 times worse by me when we get in the car :)
  • whierd
    Options

i was called a troll because in a thread where a woman was complaining about "verbal abuse" by softball coaches on 12/13 year old girls who play on a travel ball team, i responded with my opinion that i welcome the yelling and tough love coaching that these girls recieve. i have 4 girls who play, and if they are not getting yelled at by their coach when they do something stupid, better believe its going to be 10 times worse by me when we get in the car :)

I am assuming that woman never played team sports.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Could you please just block me now and spare us both the trouble of any interaction?
    [/quote]

no problems yet. I find you oddly amusing. you do seem to turn up all over the place too! now that I think about it , it probably has something to do with that funky fur hat you were wearing the first time I noticed you.
  • whierd
    Options

no problems yet. I find you oddly amusing. you do seem to turn up all over the place too!

I ride the snark line as best as I can without just calling people flat out stupid.

Which means jof is better at it.

Nuts.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i gotta get outta here... gotta go take my shirt off, dont want to get raped while i tickle the dragon... besides... i have some stupid questions to research before i post here, would hate top get mean answers and get bullied... all this cause i had a low cut shirt on... fkjlgilgnjdfklvjfod fnkfnvknlrkjg rjkn (edit my grammer please / top = to)
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    #1. Make sure to point out grammatical errors. This lets everyone know you're on their side.

OP, advice =/= advise

I think I'm in love. :love:

If you also know the difference between "loose" and "lose," well that would just complete the experience!
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    #7 - it's not at all calories in, calories out. If you're not losing, it must be a magical condition. Sure, you didn't log your food for a week here or there, but that can't be it.
This discussion has been closed.