How to avoid MFP Bullies

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Could you please just block me now and spare us both the trouble of any interaction?

no problems yet. I find you oddly amusing. you do seem to turn up all over the place too!

I ride the snark line as best as I can without just calling people flat out stupid.

Which means jof is better at it.

Nuts.
    I'm not sure what a jof it? I'm from pittsburgh so my first guess is jof is short for jagoff but that doesn't make sense..

The guy you put on ignore.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

3) NO NO NO NO NO. if you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to reply at all. NO NO NO. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO KEEP YOUR SNARKY YAP SHUT! In LIFE, as in face to face, you wouldn't behave rudely toward strangers.

You really think so? I mean, you genuinely believe that most of the people on this forum wouldn't behave EXACTLY the same way in real life as they do here?

Someone in real life asks me a stupid question, you can bet your *kitten* they are going to get snark back.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    So someone makes a fairly reasonable thread with fairly reasonable suggestions as a general 'how to MFP with less butthurt' and people are still butthurt by it? Let's go back to step one...
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Well, for one thing, everyone is different, and how and the rate at which we lose weight is very different. I cannot explain why some people cannot lose weight on very little calories, and others can lose weight quickly. You have to fish through the information here, and find what works for you. I can't explain why on May 24th of this year, I bought a pair of 35 pants, and today I was shopping in the boy's dept and had to buy 28s. They are a lot cheaper, but what worked for me, may not work for someone else. That is not my fault, nor is it someone else's.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

3) NO NO NO NO NO. if you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to reply at all. NO NO NO. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO KEEP YOUR SNARKY YAP SHUT! In LIFE, as in face to face, you wouldn't behave rudely toward strangers.

You really think so? I mean, you genuinely believe that most of the people on this forum wouldn't behave EXACTLY the same way in real life as they do here?

Someone in real life asks me a stupid question, you can bet your *kitten* they are going to get snark back.

My professor in college would always give snarky sarcastic remarks to the stupid questions - I learned quickly to keep my mouth shut :)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Could you please just block me now and spare us both the trouble of any interaction?

no problems yet. I find you oddly amusing. you do seem to turn up all over the place too!

I ride the snark line as best as I can without just calling people flat out stupid.

Nuts.
    I'm not sure what a jof is? I'm from pittsburgh so my first guess is jof is short for jagoff but that doesn't make sense..

The guy you put on ignore.
    Oh! thank you. now it's my turn to battle the snark-monster...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Nuts.
    I'm not sure what a jof it? I'm from pittsburgh so my first guess is jof is short for jagoff but that doesn't make sense..

Some would say that your first guess is exactly right...
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    1. Do your own research instead of asking a forum. Yep, you may have to think for yourselves...Scary, I know.
    2. If you get advise, don't respond with anything starting with "Yeah, but.." If you don't agree with advise given... repeat step one.
    3. Remember that often in life , a stupid question will receive a stupid answer.
    4. Remember that people you may not like, or who have contradicting opinions also have computers.
    5. If you can't take the heat, don't tickle the dragon.

Also, don't shove your particular diet, that your doctor or health professional prescribed YOU, down other peoples' throat. The word of the day is lifestyle change, not drinking sparkly unicorn urine.

Realistically, chances are high that people who have problems underestimate their calorie intake and seriously overestimate their calorie output (1600 cals burned on light cleaning every single day). Just sayin'
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    HOW TO BECOME A "MFP BULLY"

When one is too much of a coward to actually be a bully face to face with other people,, hide behind a computer screen and come to a weight loss / fitness site where you can pretend to be better than other people in the safety of your Parents basement where you can make stupid comments toward people rather than getting a JOB and living an actual real life. I know, it is safer that way because in real life you would suffer many incidents of getting your puck a** kicked.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    1. Do your own research instead of asking a forum. Yep, you may have to think for yourselves...Scary, I know.
    2. If you get advise, don't respond with anything starting with "Yeah, but.." If you don't agree with advise given... repeat step one.
    3. Remember that often in life , a stupid question will receive a stupid answer.
    4. Remember that people you may not like, or who have contradicting opinions also have computers.

Also, don't shove your particular diet, that your doctor or health professional prescribed YOU, down other peoples' throat. The word of the day is lifestyle change, not drinking sparkly unicorn urine.

Realistically, chances are high that people who have problems underestimate their calorie intake and seriously overestimate their calorie output (1600 cals burned on light cleaning every single day). Just sayin'

Yeah, shoving things down other people's throats is rude in many situations.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

Do not meddle in the ways of dragons.

For ye are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

When one is too much of a coward to actually be a bully face to face with other people,, hide behind a computer screen and come to a weight loss / fitness site where you can pretend to be better than other people in the safety of your Parents basement where you can make stupid comments toward people rather than getting a JOB and living an actual real life. I know, it is safer that way because in real life you would suffer many incidents of getting your puck a** kicked.

Speaking from experience? How's the basement working out? I mean, I just figured seeing as you typed this from behind your computer and all.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Yeah, shoving things down other people's throats is rude in many situations.

Giggity
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I am still dumbfounded by this (apparently) common belief that 1. the sarcastic people here aren't sarcastic IRL, and 2. that I live in my parents' basement. You left out that my profile pic isn't actually me (which is still bizarre since you'd think I'd find better looking fake pics) but you did work in a reference to me being unemployed (which I am not). Finally, I have yet to have my a** kicked IRL...(but will admit that that is probably mostly dumb luck).

(Yeah, sure, this post wasn't specifically addressed to me...but I thought I'd try the ever-popular "everything is about me" approach to the forums for a moment.)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I am still dumbfounded by this (apparently) common belief that 1. the sarcastic people here aren't sarcastic IRL, and 2. that I live in my parents' basement. You left out that my profile pic isn't actually me (which is still bizarre since you'd think I'd find better looking fake pics) but you did work in a reference to me being unemployed (which I am not). Finally, I have yet to have my a** kicked IRL...(but will admit that that is probably mostly dumb luck).

(Yeah, sure, this post wasn't specifically addressed to me...but I thought I'd try the ever-popular "everything is about me" approach to the forums for a moment.)

QFT

My university experiences (both undergrad and graduate) and every job experience I've had since then have all been full of sarcasm, snark, and sometimes true, honest to god hostility. Most of it was simply snark and sarcasm though, and rather amusing because of it. I just don't get this degree of anger and upset over internet forums.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    How do I find bullies?

Good question. I have never seen a bully on this site. They must be pretty easy to avoid, because I have been here forever. I was actually born in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.

I have seen bullies, I just read a post two days ago where someone called another person an attention *kitten*. I call that bullying. As in all internet sites, there will be the encounters with people who aren't very nice... but hey that is the real world just as well.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    How do I find bullies?

Good question. I have never seen a bully on this site. They must be pretty easy to avoid, because I have been here forever. I was actually born in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.

I have seen bullies, I just read a post two days ago where someone called another person an attention *kitten*. I call that bullying. As in all internet sites, there will be the encounters with people who aren't very nice... but hey that is the real world just as well.

<insert princess bride.gif>
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

My professor in college would always give snarky sarcastic remarks to the stupid questions - I learned quickly to keep my mouth shut :)
    I'm thinking more along the lines of how we interact with strangers-not the same as a student/teacher relationship. Part of a professor's job is getting you to think for yourself and to think before you speak.... but , say you're at a cocktail party and someone asks an innocent question of a group they find themselves in....would you really respond with rudeness? and if so, would you expect to be invited back? or would you be shocked the hosts want little more to do with you?
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    See: http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/

It contains the wisdom of the internet on all types you might meet on a forum... from the Big Cat to the Godzilla to the Cyber Sisters.

Be enlightened. Be wise.
This discussion has been closed.