How to avoid MFP Bullies

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    HOW TO BECOME A "MFP BULLY"

When one is too much of a coward to actually be a bully face to face with other people,, hide behind a computer screen and come to a weight loss / fitness site where you can pretend to be better than other people in the safety of your Parents basement where you can make stupid comments toward people rather than getting a JOB and living an actual real life. I know, it is safer that way because in real life you would suffer many incidents of getting your puck a** kicked.

I am still dumbfounded by this (apparently) common belief that 1. the sarcastic people here aren't sarcastic IRL, and 2. that I live in my parents' basement. You left out that my profile pic isn't actually me (which is still bizarre since you'd think I'd find better looking fake pics) but you did work in a reference to me being unemployed (which I am not). Finally, I have yet to have my a** kicked IRL...(but will admit that that is probably mostly dumb luck).

(Yeah, sure, this post wasn't specifically addressed to me...but I thought I'd try the ever-popular "everything is about me" approach to the forums for a moment.)

QFT

My university experiences (both undergrad and graduate) and every job experience I've had since then have all been full of sarcasm, snark, and sometimes true, honest to god hostility. Most of it was simply snark and sarcasm though, and rather amusing because of it. I just don't get this degree of anger and upset over internet forums.

In my professional experience, generally the more intelligent the people I work with, the more (and better) sarcasm I've encountered.

Coincidence? Hmmm.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

3) NO NO NO NO NO. if you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to reply at all. NO NO NO. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO KEEP YOUR SNARKY YAP SHUT! In LIFE, as in face to face, you wouldn't behave rudely toward strangers.

You really think so? I mean, you genuinely believe that most of the people on this forum wouldn't behave EXACTLY the same way in real life as they do here?

Someone in real life asks me a stupid question, you can bet your *kitten* they are going to get snark back.

My professor in college would always give snarky sarcastic remarks to the stupid questions - I learned quickly to keep my mouth shut :)
    I'm thinking more along the lines of how we interact with strangers-not the same as a student/teacher relationship. Part of a professor's job is getting you to think for yourself and to think before you speak.... but , say you're at a cocktail party and someone asks an innocent question of a group they find themselves in....would you really respond with rudeness? and if so, would you expect to be invited back? or would you be shocked the hosts want little more to do with you?

This isn't a cocktail party. Many of us are here for the exchange of ideas and information, in addition to other things. If you are not accustomed to that, then I really don't understand your mindset, and I probably never will. And yes, I debate with people all the time. I'm surrounded by friends and colleagues that enjoy a good debate, and sarcasm will always be part of that. Some sarcasm is meant to be mean, but much of it is just part of good old fashioned back and forth. At least in my world. If that offends you, then that's your problem, not mine.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

When one is too much of a coward to actually be a bully face to face with other people,, hide behind a computer screen and come to a weight loss / fitness site where you can pretend to be better than other people in the safety of your Parents basement where you can make stupid comments toward people rather than getting a JOB and living an actual real life. I know, it is safer that way because in real life you would suffer many incidents of getting your puck a** kicked.

I am still dumbfounded by this (apparently) common belief that 1. the sarcastic people here aren't sarcastic IRL, and 2. that I live in my parents' basement. You left out that my profile pic isn't actually me (which is still bizarre since you'd think I'd find better looking fake pics) but you did work in a reference to me being unemployed (which I am not). Finally, I have yet to have my a** kicked IRL...(but will admit that that is probably mostly dumb luck).

(Yeah, sure, this post wasn't specifically addressed to me...but I thought I'd try the ever-popular "everything is about me" approach to the forums for a moment.)

You are correct in that the post was not specifically addressed to you nut since you stepped forward, you made it about you.. Your most "bizarre" response is in fact bizarre since that comment was not in my post but made up in your own mind. I can assure you that I do not care if your pictures are you or not but you are definitely one the post is all about.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    And use the search button in the forums to find the same question you asked has been asked 9,999 times before.

for the love of god, this!
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Options

QFT

My university experiences (both undergrad and graduate) and every job experience I've had since then have all been full of sarcasm, snark, and sometimes true, honest to god hostility. Most of it was simply snark and sarcasm though, and rather amusing because of it. I just don't get this degree of anger and upset over internet forums.

I agree, I simply don't get the degree of anger here from those cowardly hide behind their computers spouting off insults at people who have been here for days or weeks and ask honest ques
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

QFT

In my professional experience, generally the more intelligent the people I work with, the more (and better) sarcasm I've encountered.

Coincidence? Hmmm.

I completely agree with what you're implying.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i don't know if this is the right thread..but i'm eating 800 calories a day and not losing.. ? oh yeah.. I also have not lost weight in two weeks..how do I bust through this plateau? oh..also.. some days i find it so hard to make my 800 calories.. i feel stuffed. how do the rest of you eat all that food?

troll...LOL
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

3) NO NO NO NO NO. if you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to reply at all. NO NO NO. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO KEEP YOUR SNARKY YAP SHUT! In LIFE, as in face to face, you wouldn't behave rudely toward strangers.

You really think so? I mean, you genuinely believe that most of the people on this forum wouldn't behave EXACTLY the same way in real life as they do here?

Someone in real life asks me a stupid question, you can bet your *kitten* they are going to get snark back.

My professor in college would always give snarky sarcastic remarks to the stupid questions - I learned quickly to keep my mouth shut :)
    I'm thinking more along the lines of how we interact with strangers-not the same as a student/teacher relationship. Part of a professor's job is getting you to think for yourself and to think before you speak.... but , say you're at a cocktail party and someone asks an innocent question of a group they find themselves in....would you really respond with rudeness? and if so, would you expect to be invited back? or would you be shocked the hosts want little more to do with you?

I don't go out much....
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    How do I find bullies?

Good question. I have never seen a bully on this site. They must be pretty easy to avoid, because I have been here forever. I was actually born in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.
    as a pharmacist, i learned long ago that in every pharmacy there is a queen. One woman who has been there forever and acts with impunity. She works at her own pace no matter what's going on around her, says what's on her mind, pays for all personal purchases with coupons because she's the one who does the coupon reimbursements, and generally feels she is indispensable. The other employees either hate her or tolerate her. Identifying this person early on can be invaluable to a floating pharmacist. I've also learned, that if you look around the pharmacy and can't identify the queen, it's YOU.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

You are correct in that the post was not specifically addressed to you nut since you stepped forward, you made it about you.. Your most "bizarre" response is in fact bizarre since that comment was not in my post but made up in your own mind. I can assure you that I do not care if your pictures are you or not but you are definitely one the post is all about.

The fake pic comment was an admittedly obtuse reference. Someone accused me of that yesterday. Their post was otherwise similar to yours in that it could have been more succinctly stated as "I don't like jofjltncb6."

Anyhow, interesting how your post about me being a coward "was not specifically addressed" to me...

...but you admitted it when I "stepped forward".

And I still do not understand why so many people do/can not know the meaning of the word "bully". Honestly, it's insulting to those who have truly suffered from bullying.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    And then because they asked and didn't like the answers, they can just come up with a new excuse for why they weren't successful!
    YAY!
  • nainai0585
    Options
    How do I find bullies?

Good question. I have never seen a bully on this site. They must be pretty easy to avoid, because I have been here forever. I was actually born in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.
    as a pharmacist, i learned long ago that in every pharmacy there is a queen. One woman who has been there forever and acts with impunity. She works at her own pace no matter what's going on around her, says what's on her mind, pays for all personal purchases with coupons because she's the one who does the coupon reimbursements, and generally feels she is indispensable. The other employees either hate her or tolerate her. Identifying this person early on can be invaluable to a floating pharmacist. I've also learned, that if you look around the pharmacy and can't identify the queen, it's YOU.

My cousin-in law in the Queen in our family - she can say whatever she likes about you, your spouse, and your children, but the moment you say anything about her or her family, all hell breaks loose. I've gotten around this by manipulating her in such a way she has no idea I have....and I get exactly what I want from her :) This has come from years of experience with a Queen mom.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Options

Speaking from experience? How's the basement working out? I mean, I just figured seeing as you typed this from behind your computer and all.

See your comment is an ignorant one. Unlike the Punk "MFP Bullies, I am polite to people online and in real life. The difference is, when coming across your type, I am always plenty prepared and capable of dealing with you in any way necessary. When you have to be rude and nasty online to people, there is no doubt you are a coward in real life
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

dude its the internet ...do you want to do face time so I can get in your face? how do you get in someones face that is 1000 miles away ...oh and I am a sarcastic, wise *kitten*, clown/goof, in real life so deal with it...oh and I own my own business and place, for the record.....

Hey! Butt out!

He just clarified that this post was about *me*, not *you*.

Get your own online detractor.
  • ndj1979
    Options

dude its the internet ...do you want to do face time so I can get in your face? how do you get in someones face that is 1000 miles away ...oh and I am a sarcastic, wise *kitten*, clown/goof, in real life so deal with it...oh and I own my own business and place, for the record.....

Hey! Butt out!

He just clarified that this post was about *me*, not *you*.

Get your own online detractor.

oh my bad Joff ...

I have about ten online detractors, but I am always looking for a few more....
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Speaking from experience? How's the basement working out? I mean, I just figured seeing as you typed this from behind your computer and all.

See your comment is an ignorant one. Unlike the Punk "MFP Bullies, I am polite to people online and in real life. The difference is, when coming across your type, I am always plenty prepared and capable of dealing with you in any way necessary. When you have to be rude and nasty online to people, there is no doubt you are a coward in real life

Oh, I completely forgot to ask in my previous post...

...but could you please point me (and others) to these "rude and nasty" posts of mine to which you're referring? Three or four would be helpful to see if there's a pattern...but even one would be more than what we have to work with at this point.

Edit: Silly me, I should have specified. This invitation is open to anyone, not just DD. Consider it a MFP scavenger hunt. Whoever finds the most "rude and nasty" jofjltncb6 posts wins a prize.
  • nainai0585
    Options
    I.can't.stop.checking.this.thread - this is the highlight of my night....sad, I know, but as long as one of us is having fun right?!
  • BeachIron
    Options

Oh. Yes. I think we have found the real "internetz gansta". lol
  • ndj1979
    Options

Only on MFP does polite = painting everyone as living in their parents basement, with no jobs, and having no actual life.....LOL
  • BeachIron
    Options

Only on MFP does polite = painting everyone as living in their parents basement, with no jobs, and having no actual life.....LOL

Don't forget "ignorant" and "punk." We want to make sure that everyone is properly chastised here by the ever so polite and courteous poster.
This discussion has been closed.