Has self love gone too far?

Options

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Maybe, what she is saying is that beauty is the gift inside and not the wrapping. People who judge soley by looks, body type, etc. are truly missing out on what a person is all about.

And yes...I am not a super model
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to reach the point where I really accepted myself and loved myself before I was able to take weight loss and exercise seriously. I've spent most of my life feeling unworthy. So unworthy, that I didn't make myself a priority and felt that if I tried weight loss, again, I would fail because I thought of myself as a failure. When I started to accept myself, NOT the fat cuz I NEVER accepted that, and realized that even with my faults I'm still a worthwhile person my mindset changed. I'm doing it for me because it makes me feel good and I DESERVE to feel good and be healthy. I no longer feel the need to hide. I think I hid behind my fat. :-/
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I suppose if i were that lady and my weight was 311, I'd first have to realize as a fact that at the present, I now am 311 pounds and I now should love myself as I am.

however, i could also love myself at 250 pounds and feel a lot better and can do a heck of a lot more at 250.

I could also love myself at 175 too!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Looking for fat acceptance. Stupid way to get attention.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I don't understand "fat acceptance" honestly. I don't get how it's acceptable to love yourself in spite of your body. It's still placing too much emphasis on appearance for me.

Maybe if she posted her accomplishments and positive emotional and mental attributes everywhere I would be more supportive of her. Instead she's just putting more stock into the idea that a woman's self worth is based solely on her body, and if she doesn't love her body (even if it's fat) she doesn't love herself.

^this this this
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I like *kitten*.

I was told it's perfectly natural.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    I find it funny that if she was skinny she'd be called a mad poser sl*t, but since she's fat she's inspirational.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I did not find the pictures beautiful or attractive...but that is just me...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that if she was skinny she'd be called a mad poser sl*t, but since she's fat she's inspirational.

Actually, it depends on the perspective. If a thin woman did this, I probably would have admired her bravery also. But then, I don't view the body (or sex, for that matter) as an evil thing.

But then again, a thin woman wouldn't be called gross. Sluts usually don't care that they are sluts and like the attention. Fat people usually do care that they are fat, and don't want negative attention.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    I think the second picture on the bus is the best.
    Simply because Hank Schrader is just sitting there, wishing he was anywhere but there.
    Society as a whole can't accept FUPA.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    This entire thing has nothing to do with health - she is focusing on appearance. I choose to focus on my health. So I guess if you read the article/watch the interview with the idea of separating appearance/health...then this really has nothing to do with what I am trying to do. It really has nothing to do with me at all.

Mental health...now that is a different story. She obviously was self-conscious (as she was scared to do this, and her motives for doing this in the first place) That is HER. Not me (necessarily), and certainly not the rest of the world (though we all have our insecurities, not all of them are about our appearance).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people put on weight due to poor self image to begin with. I think that the majority of people's inner thoughts and demons show on their skin, and they can't truely get rid of the baggage until they get rid of the baggage. As long as their acceptance helps them with their overall health, what's wrong with accepting yourself?
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Simply because Hank Schrader is just sitting there, wishing he was anywhere but there.

seriously, if i get my husband's approval, would you be down for samesies?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Above posters were right, she's still making a point that a woman's self worth is based on her appearance.

Are you suggesting that one's appearance is not even a component of their self worth?

Because if that were the case, then no one would care about their appearance. The fashion industry, beauty aid industry, cosmetic surgery industry, and several others would be completely worthless. I don't think she is saying that beauty is the only thing that creates self-worth, but that it is a big part of creating one's self-esteem. And this is actually a good thing because if she learns to value her self-image, then in time, she will learn how to take better care of it.

Do you know why I got obese? Because I was a 5'11" and 170 lbs and my friends were all 5'6" and 120 lbs and I thought that I was supposed to look like them, and once I abandoned the thought that it was actually attainable for me, I stopped caring about appearance in general. Not because I loved and valued my body, but because I hated it.

Her public proclammation of "self-love" isn't about acceptance. Me deciding that if I couldn't be as thin as my friends, then why care, was fat acceptance.

Appearance should only be a fraction of someone's self worth. I used to be like you and put 100% of my own value into how I looked. I had a pretty vicious self loathing thing going on because I was not happy with my weight or how I looked - I ****ing detested myself. My point is that no one should feel like this. They should not feel that, as a person, because they are too fat or too thin or too ugly they are completely worthless. In my opinion, this woman is perpetuating this by saying she is beautiful even though she's fat. It should not be like that. Instead of saying "I am beautiful, smart, funny, kind and I also happen to be fat", she is sending the message that she has to fight to accept and love herself because of her weight. To me that's wrong.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options

seriously, if i get my husband's approval, would you be down for samesies?
    Down like a clown! And the clown is always down *throws up gang signs*
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Above posters were right, she's still making a point that a woman's self worth is based on her appearance.

Are you suggesting that one's appearance is not even a component of their self worth?

Because if that were the case, then no one would care about their appearance. The fashion industry, beauty aid industry, cosmetic surgery industry, and several others would be completely worthless. I don't think she is saying that beauty is the only thing that creates self-worth, but that it is a big part of creating one's self-esteem. And this is actually a good thing because if she learns to value her self-image, then in time, she will learn how to take better care of it.

Do you know why I got obese? Because I was a 5'11" and 170 lbs and my friends were all 5'6" and 120 lbs and I thought that I was supposed to look like them, and once I abandoned the thought that it was actually attainable for me, I stopped caring about appearance in general. Not because I loved and valued my body, but because I hated it.

Her public proclammation of "self-love" isn't about acceptance. Me deciding that if I couldn't be as thin as my friends, then why care, was fat acceptance.

Appearance should only be a fraction of someone's self worth. I used to be like you and put 100% of my own value into how I looked. I had a pretty vicious self loathing thing going on because I was not happy with my weight or how I looked - I ****ing detested myself. My point is that no one should feel like this. They should not feel that, as a person, because they are too fat or too thin or too ugly they are completely worthless. In my opinion, this woman is perpetuating this by saying she is beautiful even though she's fat. It should not be like that. Instead of saying "I am beautiful, smart, funny, kind and I also happen to be fat", she is sending the message that she has to fight to accept and love herself because of her weight. To me that's wrong.

First off, I don't believe acknowledging that appearance is part of how someone forms their self-worth gives any indication that I personally base all of my self-worth in my appearance. I am working on MBA with a 3.95 GPA, but I didn't go back to school until I was in my 30's because I didn't even believe I was smart enough to complete a financial loan application (that's a long story). All that I am saying is that this woman is working on improving her self-image. In this particular instance, she was working on the appearance aspect of her self-image, and did it through public visuals. She is an artist. That's what artists do. They create visuals for the public. Just because she has provided the world some insight into this singular aspect of working on her mental health, does not mean that the only value she places on her self is in her appearance. It just means that she is a visual person, and the easiest way to express her efforts in valuing herself to the world is through appearance.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    I wonder why she keeps on mentioning she's white, as if she thought by the time this process was over she'd be Queen Latifah.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i'm of the mindset that if you are genuinly comfortable with yourself, then you don't have to go to extraordinary lengths to prove it to the world.

Very true.

If I saw someone dressed (or rather undressed) like that in public, brave is not the word that would come to mind, crazy would be the word.

STOP THE BOAT!

Wait a minute!

I didn't even look at the article, but are you saying a woman who dresses to show off what she is proud of is crazy???

Doesn't even have to be a woman, let me rephrase - anyone walking around in public in their underwear I would think is a bit nutty, off their meds, or in other words - a bit crazy. When is the last time you walked around downtown or rode a bus or went to work in only your underwear?

....I tend to find excuses to wear my bikini in public with booty shorts. Close enough?

No, not close enough. The clothes you mention were actually made for public wearing. You might want to at least look at the pictures in the article, like the subway shot of her in bra and panties. Once again, I see someone running around in their undies where undies are not the normal attire, I would think mental health issues.

I concede.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think?

I think there is no way I'm clicking on that link.
    x2
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

And I do find it funny people are going to assume she isn't healthy...maybe she is...maybe she isn't...

She's 311 pounds. What do you think?