Has self love gone too far?

Options

Replies

• Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    And this is how we define bravery now?

2013-09-17-tumblr_inline_mt8dyxLwqO1qkifb8.jpg

The dude hanging his head is making me laugh.

Brave woman, brave, brave.
  • gangsterfurious
    Options

The dude hanging his head is making me laugh.

Brave woman, brave, brave.

Exactly, show me soldiers that have lost their limbs and still love themselves. Show me the people risking their lives to provide aid in war torn countries.

I can see women like her at any swimming pool these days.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Exhibitionism comes in all shapes and sizes. In my opinion writing all over yourself and going out in public in your underwear has nothing to do with "loving yourself," it has to do with a burning desire to be noticed at any cost. Besides, she is focusing on outward "beauty" herself and so is still pushing the idea that outward appearance is vitally important to our self-worth. In my ever so humble opinion we would all be better off to stop being so freakishly obsessed with looks and place higher value on being decent human beings.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Obsessing over appearance is still obsessing over appearance, no matter what form that takes.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    And if I stand in the middle of a train what will I get? bravery?

*I'll have to write "beautiful' all over but still. Will I be brave?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Why would any of you encourage her to not be comfortable in her skin as she is? I find it disgusting that other people want to dictate how she should feel about herself... Chances are her doc has talked to her about the health risks but there is absolutely nothing wrong with her striving to be comfortable with her image as she is in her skin NOW. No one should be made to hate themselves just because some lunks want to make themselves feel better...ugh

Did you even read through the thread?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Exhibitionism comes in all shapes and sizes. In my opinion writing all over yourself and going out in public in your underwear has nothing to do with "loving yourself," it has to do with a burning desire to be noticed at any cost. Besides, she is focusing on outward "beauty" herself and so is still pushing the idea that outward appearance is vitally important to our self-worth. In my ever so humble opinion we would all be better off to stop being so freakishly obsessed with looks and place higher value on being decent human beings.

Agreed.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

She was brave enough to act out this form of self-expression knowing that she would likely be publicly ridiculed, but she did it to force herself to see herself as she truly is, and it was what she needed to do for herself. If she can recognize that she had to put aside some of her internalized fears to see herself as she really is, then she is one step closer to loving herself, and treating her body as it needs to be treated.

This. ... was written a lot nicer and more eloquently than I would have put it.

Women are constantly objectified, we're expected to have big tits, smooth soft hair, long lean legs, a skinny waist and constantly look like models. You hear your boyfriends mention how hot someone or other is. Sure, they're hot. But it takes work to get there. We are more than what our bodies show. That's the idea.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't know. if you put a sticky note on a woman's bottom saying, nice booty its assault. If you go on the subway and write all over yourself its expression. Crazy world.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    If an anorexic girl did this people would be outraged, so why is the reverse ok?

I don't know if these two things match. If this lady talked about that she ate on purpose to look this way, and sabotaged her health to look this way, or it were her goal to look this way, and then took scantily clad pics, then I think people would be outraged by her photos (there's threads somewhere on here about the folks that go on talk shows purposefully trying to gain wait - there's a lot of outrage about them). So that's more akin to someone who is anorexic (sabotages their health to be thin).

If a naturally thin, healthy girl did this, I don't think there would be outrage, but there would be slut-shaming (which I don't find to be appropriate regardless of weight). I will also admit that if a healthy, bony person did this, there would likely be outrage because people would assume that she was anorexic, but that's probably not ok either.

I guess what I'm saying is that, I get what you're saying, but the two things don't exactly match.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Here we go again
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

If a naturally thin, healthy girl did this, I don't think there would be outrage, but there would be slut-shaming (which I don't find to be appropriate regardless of weight). I will also admit that if a healthy, bony person did this, there would likely be outrage because people would assume that she was anorexic, but that's probably not ok either.

I guess what I'm saying is that, I get what you're saying, but the two things don't exactly match.

Exactly.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    We idolize anorexics on stages, and yet one obese woman takes some pictures of herself partially nude and we're giving her crap about it?

During my fitness journey, I've figured out I don't care what other people want to do with their bodies, because it's not my body. More power to them for doing whatever makes them feel brave/pretty/sexy/confident/even just comfortable.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

She was brave enough to act out this form of self-expression knowing that she would likely be publicly ridiculed, but she did it to force herself to see herself as she truly is, and it was what she needed to do for herself. If she can recognize that she had to put aside some of her internalized fears to see herself as she really is, then she is one step closer to loving herself, and treating her body as it needs to be treated.

I dont think its very good to wear underwear as outerwear and then sit on the seats and then the next person has to sit down after you. eww.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    She really needs to sit down. When that bus takes a corner she's going to go base over apex.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    And once again if i wore a bikini on a train and wrote beautiful all over my body what would i get? Now I have the Buzzcocks song in my head, ackk!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    And if I stand in the middle of a train what will I get? bravery?

*I'll have to write "beautiful' all over but still. Will I be brave?

Um... Yes.

Because you know you will be called slutty, skanky, and gross.

*edited to add - and crazy has come up a few times in this thread.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    After having read the article and keeping in mind that I'm more obese that she is, I think this was mostly an artsy cry for attention. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. She didn't see herself as beautiful and instead of changing anything about herself to become more healthy, she changed her perception of beauty as well as trying to alter others' views. Now I'm not saying there's any reason she shouldn't have felt beautiful or comfortable about herself (other than all the health issues associated with being overweight), but standing semi-nude in public places to feel better about yourself is a bit odd/exhibitionist. Maybe it's because I'm a guy and don't quite have the same societal pressure to look pretty as women seem to.

That said I admire her courage to have actually done it all, especially with the inevitable criticism that follows, and can't wait to see what everyone has to say when an anorexic does this.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    After having read the article and keeping in mind that I'm more obese that she is, I think this was mostly an artsy cry for attention.

Totally agree - it was a piece of performance art! Evoked strong emotional reactions, got people talking - all of us bringing our own stuff to it when forming an opinion....
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    im all for being happy in your skin. but when you use that as an excuse not to be as healthy as you can- i dont think that is beautiful at all. its lazy. its disgusting. its ugly.

maybe im just a *****!
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't understand "fat acceptance" honestly. I don't get how it's acceptable to love yourself in spite of your body. It's still placing too much emphasis on appearance for me.

Maybe if she posted her accomplishments and positive emotional and mental attributes everywhere I would be more supportive of her. Instead she's just putting more stock into the idea that a woman's self worth is based solely on her body, and if she doesn't love her body (even if it's fat) she doesn't love herself.

This