well duh?
    huh?
    yeah,
    duh?
    huh?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I do continue to workout but I might do something less strenuous on those days if I'm feeling worn out. If pushed, I will get very whiney - thankfully my gym buddy knows this and puts up with it quite well. :bigsmile:
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    absolutely - it helps me with the cramping and makes me feel more 'cleansed'
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    no. the entire world ceases to exist when I have my period.

I know your comment was sarcastic, but some of the women on this thread seem to be dead serious about this sentiment. It's completely bizarre to me. I have never met someone like that in real life.

Some people have different experiences to you. For those who have it tough, why push your body and potentially make yourself worse when a couple of easier days will help?
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Not on day #1--- I'm usually too crampy & fatigued. By day 2 or 3, I can pop an ibuprofen & be okay, but the first day totally wipes me out.
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I work out! Take a midol about 20 minutes before hand, do some stretches for that area and hit it!

For running I read short intense burst are better then long runs during your monthly.

I actually ran one day with cramps and they went away about 5 minutes into it. So for me it was a double +
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do, but I am usually dragging. Always feel better afterwards. I get super bad cramps on one of the days and the stretching that comes with working out actually seems to help.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If I feel like a sluggish piece of crampy crap, I skip working out. If I feel ok, I go ahead and work out. See how you feel rather than just deciding you'll skip working out simply because you're menstruating.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    No, I'm afraid my uterus will fall out.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

I know your comment was sarcastic, but some of the women on this thread seem to be dead serious about this sentiment. It's completely bizarre to me. I have never met someone like that in real life.
    My doctor put me on Rx pain killers just so I can get to sleep when I'm on my period. When I was in school I had to miss two days a month because getting out of bed hurt so much I would vomit. I've undergone all kinds of tests and there's nothing apparently wrong with me, I just have one of the heaviest periods my gyno has ever seen.

There. Now you've met someone.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you have a standard, regular, normal menstrual cycle there is no medical reason to stop working out.

Yoga instructors may recommend you not do 1 or 2 poses, but otherwise, there's no medical reason why not.

If you feel like crap, take a day off, or take a pain reliever and power through.

I find my cramps are better after a good run.

This ^
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Instead of going for the gym for an hour I go for a walk. I get about 3 miles in, not the greatest workout but something...and since i'm out in the sunshine it generally makes me feel better emotionally...This is for the first few days after that back to normal..but if i'm randomingly hurting I dont stress myself...
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just went through my first one since starting my journey on MFP and I found that pushing through it ended up making it lighter and I wasn't as "PMS-y" with my husband because I had enough endorphins raging through my body to make up for the "go to hell" mood LOL!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, I just pop a few Tylenol ahead of time so I'm not dying.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes I do. I've run a 10k on my period. Ten minutes slower than usual... but I've run it.

I have endometriosis (sorry if that's TMI) and it's actually right BEFORE my cycle that kills me. When it starts... it's kind of like... coming down from enormous discomfort. It still hurts but it feels... "better"?

I like to run because it helps with the cramping. Sure... I'll end up sitting on the conveyor in the middle of the treadmill holding my water bottle behind my neck sometimes because of the dizziness... but that's just what you have to go through sometimes if you love running. I just make sure that those are days that I use a treadmill instead of run outside. I don't want to be stranded in the middle of no where with no energy and dizzy spells. That would suck.
  • acruelscholar
    Options
    Of course. I think it would be ridiculous not to. Those of you who say your cramps are so painful that you literally cannot do physical activity, go to the doctor! That's not normal.

If I had a week I couldn't begin to tell you all the things that are wrong with that statement.
    Edited to add: Those of you who are saying, "But in ye olden times, women could not do anything during their periods," that was because of *sexism*, not biology.

Actually it wasn't sexism at all. What the other posters are talking about, assuming they actually mean that women weren't ALLOWED to do things, mostly occurred in extremely religious cultures. They would often be excluded from household activities as they were considered, spiritually speaking, unclean.

But that was only SOME religious cultures. For example, some Hindu cultures considered a woman's menstruation was something worthy of celebration. Girls were given presents and thrown parties when they began menstruation.

So it wasn't sexism at all. It was religious exclusion based on biological factors and it was accepted as a way of life.

Might be an idea to do some research before you throw out arguments like that in future.

Are you seriously telling me that *religions cannot be sexist*? That's...hilarious! Perhaps *you* should do some research. One of the primary purposes of religion (no, not all of them, but certainly the major ones) is to keep women subordinate to men.

Don't put words in my mouth. I said that it wasn't sexism for it's own sake as we understand sexism today. It was religious exclusion. There is a difference.

What I was saying and the point the other posters were making, was that due to centuries and centuries of tradition based on religious fervor women were not ALLOWED to do these things. It wasn't right and it wasn't fair and by today's standards it WAS sexist, but BACK THEN it was the way things were. BACK THEN it wasn't sexist because they had no concept of sexism. It was just the way life was.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    For the record, working out can actually help relieve cramps. It's good to work out while on your period.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

My doctor put me on Rx pain killers just so I can get to sleep when I'm on my period. When I was in school I had to miss two days a month because getting out of bed hurt so much I would vomit. I've undergone all kinds of tests and there's nothing apparently wrong with me, I just have one of the heaviest periods my gyno has ever seen.

There. Now you've met someone.

Did your doctor recommend medication or a procedure like a D&C to ease this?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I dont take any medicine for it but I do work out the first few days for sure when I feel the worst.
    it makes the pain go away - makes me feel better too. so its a good deal ;)
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Edited to add: Those of you who are saying, "But in ye olden times, women could not do anything during their periods," that was because of *sexism*, not biology.

Actually it wasn't sexism at all. What the other posters are talking about, assuming they actually mean that women weren't ALLOWED to do things, mostly occurred in extremely religious cultures. They would often be excluded from household activities as they were considered, spiritually speaking, unclean.

But that was only SOME religious cultures. For example, some Hindu cultures considered a woman's menstruation was something worthy of celebration. Girls were given presents and thrown parties when they began menstruation.

So it wasn't sexism at all. It was religious exclusion based on biological factors and it was accepted as a way of life.

Might be an idea to do some research before you throw out arguments like that in future.

I'm part Native American. One of our most sacred ceremonies is the Strawberry Ceremony. If a girl/woman is on her period, she can sit in the circle, but cannot have a strawberry, as she is in the midst of what is considered another sacred ritual: that of creation.

Am I embarrassed to sit in that circle and pass up a strawberry? No. Because the elders will smile and wink at me, and the women will give me hugs when the ceremony ends. It's purely cultural.