Do you work out on your period?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, because if I don't my period lasts twice as long! Some days I don't have the mental energy, but I just make sure to drink enough water (helps with cramps and physical related pain 100%), and perhaps some coffee. I'll tell myself I'll only get to the gym and walk on the treadmill or do something light, and sometimes that's all I do. But most of the time, it doesn't take me long to get into the mood and go for a short run. I more often than not do more than I say I'm going to by just getting there and telling myself to do at least the minimum.
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I can't for the first few days, I am too fatigued and have bouts of nausea. I go back to normal after the first three days though.
  • maxinelopez12
    Options
    I started today and felt awful and still went and did some walking.wasn't to.bad::
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    When I had my period, depending on my symptoms I did. Yoga, lighter weights.... some cardio. Heavy weights are for after periods.
  • Krissy_b777
    Options
    Nope I bleed to heavy. Everyone is different and you need to do what feels right for you.

Mine is also very heavy. I usually lie in bed the first couple of days after work. But I try to do something even if it is parking a little further out so I can at least get a light walk in at my pace. Or walk through the grocery store or something. But the first couple of days or so, I usually can't handle it. But like someone else said a week is too long and mine usually last 6-7 days with it fading on the 5th day or so. I feel I do lose a lot of work-out time each month because I usually do 6 days per week. It is horrible! :sad:
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    First off, if a woman's period (i.e. cramps, heavy flow, headaches, nausea, dizziness, or whatever) is so debilitating that it keeps her from even going to work or school, she needs to see a doctor to rule out any major problems such as PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids, etc. There ARE treatments for these things!! If I had to take 2-4 days off every single month because of my period, I would lose my job for excessive absences. Let's face it--the world DOESN'T stop turning just because it's that TOM. My kids still need fed and taken to school, the job needs done, groceries need bought, and so on. If something is keeping me from meeting my basic responsibilities, it needs to be addressed.

That being said, if major issues have been ruled out or one just feels blah, gross, and generally icky--sure, take a day off and be good to yourself. Make smart meal choices. But that applies to any day, not just during that TOM. Maybe you've been training and working hard. Maybe you didn't sleep well last night. Maybe you have a migraine (with or without TOM). Whatever.

tl;dr version: in the absence of a major medical conditon and instructions from your doc to avoid exercise, go for it if you feel like it. If you don't feel up to it, take a day or two off, eat smart, and get back at it ASAP.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Of course. I think it would be ridiculous not to. Those of you who say your cramps are so painful that you literally cannot do physical activity, go to the doctor! That's not normal.

Edited to add: Those of you who are saying, "But in ye olden times, women could not do anything during their periods," that was because of *sexism*, not biology.

it must be nice not to suffer.. let them eat cake and all. I totally wish I was you..

Pretty sure most of us who are in extreme pain and discomfort have talked to our doctors plenty. nothing to be done, take it easy and take some pain killers. It's not just the cramps though. it's a number of other symptoms on top of that which make it pretty impossible.

Everyone is different. Some people are blessed. Some people are not.

exercise isn't something that you will die without for a few days. You can lose weight just eating at a deficit. There is no reason to suffer because you SHOULD WORK OUT ALL THE TIME NON STOP EVEN WHEN YOUR BODY FEELS FLU-LIKE FOR A FEW DAYS A MONTH BECAUSE OF HORMONES, BECAUSE THAT IS TOTALLY WHAT YOU SHOULD DO AND IT'S RIDICULOUS NOT TO DO IT..

Amen, sister! :laugh: Nothing wrong with taking a day or two off. I normally take two days off just to rest every single week. So during shark week, I just plan one of those rest days on my crampy day.

I personally think it's quite ridiculous to advocate being so crazy hardcore that you NEVER take a day off, even on days where you're not feeling quite well. But to advocate going to the gym when you're literally dizzy, faint, and nauseous to the point where you're passing out on the treadmill and throwing up on the floor next to that treadmill...well that's just sick honestly. I don't care what anyone says, that is NOT healthy. If you're fainting and throwing up on the treadmill...GO HOME! Get some rest! Seriously! Take a break and chill out, sheesh! :laugh: That's not "dedication," that's obsessive, unhealthy behavior.

It's also quite sad to see so many women in here bashing each other. Come on, ladies! We should stick together and appreciate and support our differences! We're all different and that includes are cycles. While exercise may help relieve the pain for some, it aggravates the pain for others. We all have different cycles. No one here is lazy just because they choose to rest for a couple days during their cycle instead of power through.
  • ronitigre
    ronitigre Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Of course.
    And anyone with extreme discomfort during their time of the month and it's due to ovarian cysts or endometriosis working out (and getting on birth control!) will significantly help.

And if you have ovarian cysts then you know how hard it is to to keep taking breaks just because you're bleeding since it happens ALLLL the time. When I used to play sports I still had pain but I had to power through it or else I'd have to quit. Tbh in was a lot easier to deal with when I was fitter, but now that I'm a LOT less active the first day or two of a period is 'die in a hole' time.

http://epublications.bond.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1037&context=hss_pubs&sei-redir=1&referer=http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl=en&q=exercise+while+menstruating+&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=#search="exercise while menstruating"
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If I feel like it, I do.
    If I feel like it would be nicer to lie on my couch with a hot water bottle, I do that.

I usually feel fine after the first day, but I don't force myself to work on the first day if I feel like crap.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I do what I feel up to doing. Some days I can kick box and rock out with Jillian, some days I have to do easy cardio, belly dance, or stick to yoga/pilates, some days I feel too crappy to do more than lay in bed and watch movies.
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough not to have any negative side effects at all. I barely even know it's happening. So yeah, I still work out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I may have fibroids which means heavy heavy flow, pain, bloating etc. (waiting on ultrasound to confirm)

of course I still exercise...just not outside....just in case....:laugh:
  • rmcminn89
    Options
    I normally have 1-2 "bad" days and will take those off. But I normally take 1-2 days off a week anyways. Sometimes I don't feel like doing my usual work out, but I atleast walk or use the elliptical.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that stops you from being physically active, there is no reason why you shouldn't.

I have PCOS and am on birth control and my first day is always hellish, however, I find that as much as working out can be unpleasant on those days, in the end it makes me feel better. If I don't go because of the pain on that first day, it still doesn't stop me from going the other days. I just wear extra protection when I work out.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    no. the entire world ceases to exist when I have my period.

I know your comment was sarcastic, but some of the women on this thread seem to be dead serious about this sentiment. It's completely bizarre to me. I have never met someone like that in real life.
    My doctor put me on Rx pain killers just so I can get to sleep when I'm on my period. When I was in school I had to miss two days a month because getting out of bed hurt so much I would vomit. I've undergone all kinds of tests and there's nothing apparently wrong with me, I just have one of the heaviest periods my gyno has ever seen.

There. Now you've met someone.

Did your doctor recommend medication or a procedure like a D&C to ease this?
    For me, yes, and an ablation...nothing worked - my last effort will be a hysterectomy but I have such limited sick pay at work...I have to take 6 weeks with no pay... :(
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I believe I may have PCOS since my periods are always irregular. Sometimes I could go months without one I I don't take BC for it or any kind of meds. But I have realized within the last few months they've been popping up, perhaps not every 28 days, sometimes 30+ but the first 2 days are terrible. I will cramp for like 2 weeks prior to getting my period then that first 2 days kill me. So I usually go pretty light those 2 days. I work and run around and lift at work so I'll just do a light walk or so. After day 2 I'll go right back to weights. I do avoid crunches though until the pain stops or I'll cry. Lol
  • nikkiej2012
    nikkiej2012 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes I do work it out on my period. I was prescribed a med to make my periods light I cant spell it for the life of me buts its something like lysteda(not taking it any more). But I used to have real bad cramps I would just lay and hug a pillow and cry :( but I am 100% better...