Do young adults in the UK not want to work?

Options

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Bit judgmental, I'm in full time education, have a 16 hour part time job and go to the gym for 90-120 minutes a day 6 days a week, not all young adults are lazy :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Well it is sad to say but this is not just a UK problem! The US is the same way!

It so makes me wonder why a young adult would not want to get into the workplace and have a steady wage coming in?

Glad you have the same problem and it isn`t just in the UK (not glad but you know what I mean)

It's not an excuse, but a pay rate of slightly above minimum wage is not enough to live on in the U.S. I understand the lack of enthusiasm.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate in that I have a business that is relatively successful in the UK

This last few weeks I have been holding interviews to fill a position..the wage is only slightly above minimum wage, but, it is a little above.

I am looking to train this person up into a better skill.

I have not been looking for a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, just someone that would seem to have reliability and some work ethic.

5 people never bothered to turn up for the interviews...3 were late... 1 had the mother phone up to make an excuse.. a few people turned up wearing jeans....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I was hoping to try to help someone from benefits into the workplace. Is it that young adults do not want to work?

Firstly, that is a really rude and sweeping statement. Sure there are people who don't want to work, but they range from the age of entiltement to benefits through to state pension age - it is not purely a 'young person' problem.

Do you know why those 5 people didn't turn up? Personal problems, finding other work etc. It isn't always as clear cut as "they can't be bothered".
    Did you ask why those 3 were late?
    Did you just automatically assume that person's mother was making an excuse?
    Did you wonder why those people couldn't afford to get proper interview clothes, or why they never had help in interview prepping?

Maybe the problem isn't those people, but yourself in not asking, or for outside factors not preparing them for such environments.

Plus, most unemployed 'young' people I know aren't looking for training - most of them already have qualifications from college or univerisity and want to do something in that field, something they will enjoy and will make them happy. Yes, it is easier to find work while in employment, but not a lot of people want to join a company and do something they won't enjoy in the hopes of finding something better.

Give over, one or two excuses for a couple of those people, but ALL of them???

First impressions are important during a job interview, that is one of the very first things that is advised regarding interviews.

Wearing jeans is not acceptable and please don't tell me that they are the only clothes those people had.

You were correct re you final paragraph there though, mose unemployed young people aren't looking for training - well maybe they should damn well consider it, because nearly ALL jobs require training of some sort and if the person concerned is too lazy or too proud or even so arrogant they consider they know all, well then they are best not applying and staying on their benefits.

Finding something better - yes, well we would all like that I guess eh, but in the meantime, the country needs to tick over, businesses need to be run and people need to work in them, so until that "something better" crops up, how about people take a job that at least pays them some money and they look whilst they are employed.

People may have the qualifications, but sometimes they will need to work in other fields before they can get their desired job, it may not be ideal, but it could lead to other things or even the position they want.

The OP only wanted a reliable person, somebody willing to do the job, I hope they find a good employee, because the OP's heart is in exactly the right place.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate in that I have a business that is relatively successful in the UK

This last few weeks I have been holding interviews to fill a position..the wage is only slightly above minimum wage, but, it is a little above.

I am looking to train this person up into a better skill.

I have not been looking for a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, just someone that would seem to have reliability and some work ethic.

5 people never bothered to turn up for the interviews...3 were late... 1 had the mother phone up to make an excuse.. a few people turned up wearing jeans....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I was hoping to try to help someone from benefits into the workplace. Is it that young adults do not want to work?

Firstly, that is a really rude and sweeping statement. Sure there are people who don't want to work, but they range from the age of entiltement to benefits through to state pension age - it is not purely a 'young person' problem.

Do you know why those 5 people didn't turn up? Personal problems, finding other work etc. It isn't always as clear cut as "they can't be bothered".
    Did you ask why those 3 were late?
    Did you just automatically assume that person's mother was making an excuse?
    Did you wonder why those people couldn't afford to get proper interview clothes, or why they never had help in interview prepping?

Maybe the problem isn't those people, but yourself in not asking, or for outside factors not preparing them for such environments.

Plus, most unemployed 'young' people I know aren't looking for training - most of them already have qualifications from college or univerisity and want to do something in that field, something they will enjoy and will make them happy. Yes, it is easier to find work while in employment, but not a lot of people want to join a company and do something they won't enjoy in the hopes of finding something better.

Give over, one or two excuses for a couple of those people, but ALL of them???

First impressions are important during a job interview, that is one of the very first things that is advised regarding interviews.

Wearing jeans is not acceptable and please don't tell me that they are the only clothes those people had.

You were correct re you final paragraph there though, mose unemployed young people aren't looking for training - well maybe they should damn well consider it, because nearly ALL jobs require training of some sort and if the person concerned is too lazy or too proud or even so arrogant they consider they know all, well then they are best not applying and staying on their benefits.

Finding something better - yes, well we would all like that I guess eh, but in the meantime, the country needs to tick over, businesses need to be run and people need to work in them, so until that "something better" crops up, how about people take a job that at least pays them some money and they look whilst they are employed.

People may have the qualifications, but sometimes they will need to work in other fields before they can get their desired job, it may not be ideal, but it could lead to other things or even the position they want.

The OP only wanted a reliable person, somebody willing to do the job, I hope they find a good employee, because the OP's heart is in exactly the right place.

Absolutely right!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I really think living on benefits, at least in the UK, has to be made less comfortable. I would support a system that allowed less spending freedom on benefits so that it was obvious that there were advantages to earning your own money. If benefit claimants received a proportion of their benefits in the high-tech equivalent of food stamps, perhaps that would help a similar salary to seem more attractive.

Equally, I don't believe council housing should be for life, unless there is a medical reason someone can never work. I have friends living in low-cost council housing whose family income is higher than ours, but once you have that housing, you're not obliged to ever move out. Council housing should be a 'safety net', not a home for life.

Things mustn't go back to the conditions of the 19th century, but we need to find a middle ground. Why would anyone, young or old, want to work if there is no clear benefit to them?
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I hope Labour doesn't get voted back in. Its taken time for the Tories to try and reverse things that Labour has done! I blame them for the welfare state and making benefits a too easy option for most. Say no to Red Ed Miliband who will pander to those who cant help themselves

Ok...im 25 so not young anymore (boooo) but ive worked every day from when I was 16 doing Saturday work and 5 years of horrid factory work to pay my way through Uni....and right now...im living pretty comfortably in my chosen career.

The sense of entitlement in my generation is ridiculous! Kids these days are taught not to win....everyone is a winner just by turning up. No one can be a loser! Political correctness and all that other BS. When I have kids they will be taught to be winners, to have ambition and to fulfill their potencial
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Well after I posted here the other day saying how hard I've tried to get a job... I got offered one this morning!! :D:D

Hard work and persistence is all you need if you really want a job!

I'm so excited!

And it means I might even be able to go to University next year (or the year after!) as I can now fund myself! :D:D

That is fantastic news...well done you x
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    The OP is asking a question, not making a statement
  • twinketta
    Options
    Bit judgmental, I'm in full time education, have a 16 hour part time job and go to the gym for 90-120 minutes a day 6 days a week, not all young adults are lazy :)

I never said, in any of my replies, that young people are lazy. Which is why I was wanting to employ a young person as I was looking for the enthusiasm that comes with many young people.

Also, seeing the hard time my both boys had finding work and their determination to get on the employment ladder, my intention was to give someone a start in the workplace.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I run a business in UK, I am Polish and avoiding British workers like fire...they are horrid, never on time, always having problems, they don't want to work....And lazy, really lazy...with extraordinary expectations....this is very sad but very true...that's their benefit culture...they even say we ( outsiders) are here for their benefits..because thats all they know LOL they all want to work 16h a week and make dozens of £££....
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I run a business in UK, I am Polish and avoiding British workers like fire...they are horrid, never on time, always having problems, they don't want to work....And lazy, really lazy...with extraordinary expectations....this is very sad but very true...that's their benefit culture...they even say we ( outsiders) are here for their benefits..because thats all they know LOL they all want to work 16h a week and make dozens of £££....

I'm sorry to hear a business owner who's so prejudiced against all British workers. This only adds to the them and us prejudices that already exist. While I mainly support economic migration, when it is clear that a lot of jobs are never advertised but go by word of mouth to members of the same community, when you hardly ever hear English in some work places, it is easy to understand why there is resentment.

I know you have to do whatever makes the best business sense, but I would hope that you would give the occasional Brit a chance too.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Really?

There is a word for that and it is not very complimentary to you!

I am glad you are not my boss, because if that is your attitude, then God help us all.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Why would it not be acceptable to wear jeans to an interview for a slightly above minimum wage job?

Because it shows that you have no work ethic and take no pride in being employed, it's too hard for you to dress in a non-casual manner, to appear to have put even the slightest amount of work into looking professional (even if the job is just for minimum wage). The 'job' shouldn't dictate how professional you act just like the pay shouldn't dictate how hard you are willing to work. If you can't dress nicely and put in a good day of work for minimum wage you can't be counted on to do it for more. Actually with so many people competing for the same job the person who takes that time will be the one hired all other things being equal.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I might be saying something that some may find offensive here, and my intention is not to offend anyone, but I work and hire for a contracting company and 99% of the staff we employ are on minimum wage or just above - it's a cleaning company. The sort of people you attract with minimum wage jobs are often not the same as the ones you attract with a decent wage. Our turnover is high, their unreliability is high and their work ethic low, the majority of the time.

If you are hiring someone to train them for a better role, I would offer more money. I don't know what the nature of your business is but minimum wage jobs are in abundance, which is probably why they are not taken seriously. Raise your salary a little, and you will come across as a serious employer with serious prospects.
  • twinketta
    Options
    I might be saying something that some may find offensive here, and my intention is not to offend anyone, but I work and hire for a contracting company and 99% of the staff we employ are on minimum wage or just above - it's a cleaning company. The sort of people you attract with minimum wage jobs are often not the same as the ones you attract with a decent wage. Our turnover is high, their unreliability is high and their work ethic low, the majority of the time.

If you are hiring someone to train them for a better role, I would offer more money. I don't know what the nature of your business is but minimum wage jobs are in abundance, which is probably why they are not taken seriously. Raise your salary a little, and you will come across as a serious employer with serious prospects.

I totally understand what you are saying.

I have now found a nice young lad of 17 to fill the vacancy :smile:

The NMW in UK for under 18`s is £3.72 per hour. I was offering £5.80 plus bonuses and incentives and seeking someone that was not required to have qualifications. Not a fantastic amount, but IMO it seems fair based on an entry level job, a driving course and paid relevant courses. I was also offering the prospect of supporting the candidate if they wish to take an HND in engineering.

What I find appalling is that if I had offered the vacancy as an apprenticeship I would have only been required to pay £2.68 per hour. That really is a pittance :angry:
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

The NMW in UK for under 18`s is £3.72 per hour. I was offering £5.80 plus bonuses and incentives and seeking someone that was not required to have qualifications. Not a fantastic amount, but IMO it seems fair based on an entry level job, a driving course and paid relevant courses. I was also offering the prospect of supporting the candidate if they wish to take an HND in engineering.

What I find appalling is that if I had offered the vacancy as an apprenticeship I would have only been required to pay £2.68 per hour. That really is a pittance :angry:

Most people didn't read your post, they just made the assumption that you were looking for slave labour. I'm glad you found someone who sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. I don't live in the UK but in Canada you would never even find a job that offered PAID courses for an entry level position. I'm truly amazed that you didn't have people lining up out the door for that opportunity given the economic climate and youth unemployment in the UK. The fact that you didn't as well as some of the replies in this thread make me sad for our future.
  • twinketta
    Options

Most people didn't read your post, they just made the assumption that you were looking for slave labour. I'm glad you found someone who sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. I don't live in the UK but in Canada you would never even find a job that offered PAID courses for an entry level position. I'm truly amazed that you didn't have people lining up out the door for that opportunity given the economic climate and youth unemployment in the UK. The fact that you didn't as well as some of the replies in this thread make me sad for our future.

Sadly, this is the norm today in that, people make assumptions, even when there is a job involved. Which is one of the reasons why I was so disappointed with people not turning up or taking the opportunity in a serious manner.

Especially when young people can be tarred and feathered by the older populous for just being young.

The area where I live has recently been reported as having the highest number of benefit claimants in the UK...after the experience that I have had with finding someone via a job agency...it really did make me feel that young people do not want to work...having said that is has been refreshing to see some of the posts from people that really are actively seeking work.

Thanks, also, I am sure the young lad that is due to start, will prove to be a great asset :happy:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    And £5.80 for someone living with their parents with low overheads is masses of free money, even probably compared to someone on twice as much who isn't on benefits.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options

If you hate the British people so much I suggest you buy yourself a plane ticket and get yourself back to Poland. There you can employ as many non Brits as you like since British people are not flocking to your country to take all the jobs.
    Don't bother saying goodbye - you won't be missed.
  • twinketta
    Options
    And £5.80 for someone living with their parents with low overheads is masses of free money, even probably compared to someone on twice as much who isn't on benefits.

Yeah but you can't pay someone a wage on the premise that their parents will support them and 'fill in the gap' for you ie the parents subsidise your business for free.

People get older, have kids, get married or move in with someone... Things change. What if their parents chuck them out? If you want someone to commit to a min. wage job then you need guaranteed built-in salary increments rising fairly immediately. Or wait till you can afford to pay a proper wage.

Love Alan Sugar.com, sorry for lecturing btw... it's a very bad habit. *ashamed face*

PS You work too hard wink

A very nice lady posted this, and I am not inferring that she wasn`t very nice....I am saying that it the way she feels and maybe the parents feel also.

My suggestion was that a young person may be living at home and paying some housekeeping and that they could live quite well from what was left over?