Do young adults in the UK not want to work?

Options
1171819202123»

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, are you kidding me?! That many people actually do that?! If I even got just one chance at an interview I'd cry rivers of happiness and drop the world for it because I've been applying for job after job after job since the beginning of July and haven't been asked back for one interview.

To answer the question, most of the people in my generation don't. I'm 18, just started uni and am desperately looking for a job. I heard on the radio the other day that 80ish% of uni students or young adults in general just don't want to work out of pure laziness. The few who do actually want to work are quite rare.

Just keep trying, there will be a job for you somewhere out there.

One of the young girls that posted on here a couple of days ago was so desperate for work, just like you are, then she posted to say she had got a job.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I run a business in UK, I am Polish and avoiding British workers like fire...they are horrid, never on time, always having problems, they don't want to work....And lazy, really lazy...with extraordinary expectations....this is very sad but very true...that's their benefit culture...they even say we ( outsiders) are here for their benefits..because thats all they know LOL they all want to work 16h a week and make dozens of £££....

If you hate the British people so much I suggest you buy yourself a plane ticket and get yourself back to Poland. There you can employ as many non Brits as you like since British people are not flocking to your country to take all the jobs.
    Don't bother saying goodbye - you won't be missed.

:drinker:
    I don't hate them you moron..I came here 24 years ago, it's propably more then you been around...Its the truth about culture and it's hard to take, I understand. I hope you are in full time work without benefits....LOL
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I run a business in UK, I am Polish and avoiding British workers like fire...they are horrid, never on time, always having problems, they don't want to work....And lazy, really lazy...with extraordinary expectations....this is very sad but very true...that's their benefit culture...they even say we ( outsiders) are here for their benefits..because thats all they know LOL they all want to work 16h a week and make dozens of £££....

If you hate the British people so much I suggest you buy yourself a plane ticket and get yourself back to Poland. There you can employ as many non Brits as you like since British people are not flocking to your country to take all the jobs.
    Don't bother saying goodbye - you won't be missed.

:drinker:
    I don't hate them you moron..I came here 24 years ago, it's propably more then you been around...Its the truth about culture and it's hard to take, I understand. I hope you are in full time work without benefits....LOL

It is not the truth about culture actually, there are many British people in work, who turn up on time, do their job very well and want to work.

You are fortunate, so far, that nobody has reported you for discrimination, watch that does not change.
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    There is many individuals out there that are giving the British work force a bad name.

I live in Southampton and I am desperately trying to mind myself a job. I'm at university in the week but I have always been flexible weekends and evenings etc. I'm polite and hard-working with years work experience.

I've been looking for months and nothing has come up. I understand that employers want fully flexible staff and that's why I feel I have had no luck but I have to commit to university for the 2-4 hours a day that they want me.

I have worked with the laziest people. I worked in a relatively posh department store with a girl who swore, told customers about the sexual things she did in public, she was lazy, not a team player and sat in the stock room eat sweets all day. She got fired thankfully. She didn't deserve that job.

This week I have read an article about an employer in Ringwood who has recruited from Romania as he has had no luck with British employees and now I see this. I don't blame the employers, I blame the lazy people who just can't be bothered. I'm sure those of us on here who are after work are hard working will find ourselves a job soon. We just have to show that we are better than the rest.