ARE CARBS BAD

Options

Replies

• sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    No infact sometimes when lifting they actually are helpful. Carbs are fine if you pair them with a Protein and a Veggie then it will keep your blood sugar stable. But if you are just eating all carbs or too much portion wise of them then they can raise your blood sugar n you will gain weight. Just make sure to pair them with an equal amount of protein and a veggie and you will be fine.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I google What are complex carbs and here's my answer: (PS: i NEVER knew carrots fell under the starchy carbs!!!

Complex carbohydrates are those carbohydrates that are made of three or more sugar molecules linked together. These carbohydrates are found vegetables, nuts, fruits, seeds and grains. They differ from simple carbohydrates, like sugar, that are made of only one or two linked sugar molecules. Complex carbohydrates take longer for your body to break down than simple ones, which helps to maintain a steady blood sugar level.

Which Foods Are Complex Carbohydrates?

Complex carbohydrates should make up a large portion of your diet. You should aim for roughly half of your daily caloric intake to be derived from complex carbohydrates, with over half of these coming from whole grains. Starchy carbohydrates include foods such as:

Bread
    Cereal
    Rice
    Pasta
    Corn
    Carrots
    Dry beans
    Potatoes
    Additionally, green vegetables contain less starch and more fiber, making them a great choice to fulfill your complex carbohydrate needs. This includes vegetables such as:

Green beans
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Include these healthy choices in your diet, and increase you energy levels and health.

Copying and pasting from others' blog entries and presenting it as your own is lame. Just link to the site.

While I agree that a link to the site is a good idea, mostly so people can decide for themselves whether the source is knowledgeable or not. This poster did not present this as their own. They clearly stated it was the internet and even mentioned that some of the information was surprising to them.

Ya, thank you! lol. Also, why isn't fruit listed as a complex carb? im confused......
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    NO! (well you did ask!)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I google What are complex carbs and here's my answer: (PS: i NEVER knew carrots fell under the starchy carbs!!!

Complex carbohydrates are those carbohydrates that are made of three or more sugar molecules linked together. These carbohydrates are found vegetables, nuts, fruits, seeds and grains. They differ from simple carbohydrates, like sugar, that are made of only one or two linked sugar molecules. Complex carbohydrates take longer for your body to break down than simple ones, which helps to maintain a steady blood sugar level.

Complex carbohydrates should make up a large portion of your diet. You should aim for roughly half of your daily caloric intake to be derived from complex carbohydrates, with over half of these coming from whole grains. Starchy carbohydrates include foods such as:

Bread
    Cereal
    Rice
    Pasta
    Corn
    Carrots
    Dry beans
    Potatoes
    Additionally, green vegetables contain less starch and more fiber, making them a great choice to fulfill your complex carbohydrate needs. This includes vegetables such as:

Green beans
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Include these healthy choices in your diet, and increase you energy levels and health.

Copying and pasting from others' blog entries and presenting it as your own is lame. Just link to the site.

While I agree that a link to the site is a good idea, mostly so people can decide for themselves whether the source is knowledgeable or not. This poster did not present this as their own. They clearly stated it was the internet and even mentioned that some of the information was surprising to them.

Ya, thank you! lol. Also, why isn't fruit listed as a complex carb? im confused......

"Fruit" isn't a carb. Fruit tends to contain a lot of fructose, which is a simple carb, as well as things like fiber and other complex carbs.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't think carbs are bad, but I think refined carbs are not conducive to weight loss.

And, I also think lifestyle factors into it.

I lost weight eating tons of carbs (even refined ones) in my 20's when I was working out an hour a day. Fast forward 18 years, 2 kids, a desk job, and some physical issues that prevent me from working out like I used to, and yes, carbs factor into it much more than they used to.

The people I find, on here, who say it matters not tend to be younger, work out a lot, or have more weight to lose.

Take someone with a little age, who is not doing CrossFit or PX90, and who doesn't have a whole lot to lose, and yes, I think it matters more.

Also, I know there is 1200 calorie hatred, but again (for the reasons stated above) there are those who need to eat in that range and carbs don't always factor "into the macros" as easily.

****The above opinion is not based on scientific evidence is derived fully from speculation and personal experience****

Amen. I think when most folks say "different things work for different people" they are referring more to lifestyle than diet plans. And there is nothing wrong with adjusting our plans to suit our lives as long people we don't go to dangerous extremes.

OP, carbs in general are not bad. The types of carbs you eat, and the amount, can impact your health overall though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Bread
    Cereal
    Rice
    Pasta
    Corn
    Carrots
    Dry beans
    Potatoes

Green beans
    Broccoli
    Spinach

THIS.
    And I can pick up a sentence from it and find the blog. She never said it was hers. she CLEARLY stated that she googled it.
    But yeah, easier if she linked the site (that I disagreed with).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I don't think carbs are bad, but I think refined carbs are not conducive to weight loss.

I lost weight eating tons of carbs (even refined ones) in my 20's when I was working out an hour a day. Fast forward 18 years, 2 kids, a desk job, and some physical issues that prevent me from working out like I used to, and yes, carbs factor into it much more than they used to.

The people I find, on here, who say it matters not tend to be younger, work out a lot, or have more weight to lose.

Take someone with a little age, who is not doing CrossFit or PX90, and who doesn't have a whole lot to lose, and yes, I think it matters more.

Also, I know there is 1200 calorie hatred, but again (for the reasons stated above) there are those who need to eat in that range and carbs don't always factor "into the macros" as easily.

****The above opinion is not based on scientific evidence is derived fully from speculation and personal experience****
    I completely agree that it's a bigger challenge to lose when you're older etc. And yes, the fewer calories you "get" the fewer carbs fit in it, simply put. I have my macros set at 30c/40p/30f (when I'm counting) and on non running days that puts my carbs at about100. Not a lot to play around with if you eat fruit and veg as I do.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    OP, carbs in general are not bad. The types of carbs you eat, and the amount, can impact your health overall though.

How so?

You don't think there is a difference between a bag of dorritos and a bag of baby carrots nutritionally? The OP has health issues that she is just learning about. You don't think she should try to eat the most nutritionally sound foods? I would think eating empty carbs (i.e. chips and sugary/processed foods) would negatively impact the health of someone with a thyroid condition who is also trying to lose weight. Just my .02, based on my experiences as a diabetic who has to watch not only the type of carbs but the amount. Your mileage may vary <shrug>.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus is that 30% should be protein, 25% should be fat, and the rest filled with carbs. But all articles/research I have seen says that of course, people are different and each person should adjust as necessary based on how their body processes/reacts to that combo.

One school of thought is to stay away from "fast carbs" like the breads, pastas, even bananas. I've recently read other information that says "fast carbs" are fine as long as you pair them with a "slow carb" like the green veggies, and berries.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus is that 30% should be protein, 25% should be fat, and the rest filled with carbs.

General consensus??
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

How so?

You don't think there is a difference between a bag of dorritos and a bag of baby carrots nutritionally? The OP has health issues that she is just learning about. You don't think she should try to eat the most nutritionally sound foods? I would think eating empty carbs (i.e. chips and sugary/processed foods) would negatively impact the health of someone with a thyroid condition who is also trying to lose weight. Just my .02, based on my experiences as a diabetic who has to watch not only the type of carbs but the amount. Your mileage may vary <shrug>.
    Diabetic or thyroid condition or not, I think if one routinely chooses doritos as their go to carb and fills their 40% (or whatever their magical macros are set to) to highly processed foods like doritos they'll see some health issues... but then, I'm sure that would be called a conspiracy theory or some such thing.
    cheers!:drinker:
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Yep... which is why IMO the answer to just about every diet question is... it depends.
  • mattvdh82
    Options
    Nope.

If consumed properly they are a benefit.

Are they an essential macro, I would say no......
    But again, to have some energy and not be grouchy, they do help. :smile:

The problem with carbs comes from people getting to much, and then their bodies are not able to oxidize/burn off the fat they consume.
    So the body will work to get rid of all the carbs, and by doing so, oxidizing the fat takes a back seat, so the fat gets stored.....thus people start getting fat.

So eat the amount of carbs you need, but don't go overboard.

QFT
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    hi to all,
    a question to all people who have lost weight succesfully
    does it really matter how many carbs, protein and fat do we eat.
    i mean we live in different countries and we have our own foods.
    so i see a lot of people advocating low carbs.
    i dont have enough budget to replace my carbs with protein and fats.
    i am especially concerned about bread.
    i have hypothyroidism if that matters.
    and if bread/carbs are bad for me is there any medical test that can be carried out to know this!!
    Need proper guidance

Yeah you need to go to a doctor and get on a medical diet. There are huge complications when you have thyroid problems.

"Huge complications" ... Uh, no ... Properly medicated (preferably T3/T4 combo, natural or synthetic), you should be fine ...

I am hypothyroid (euthyroid with medication) as well.

The only food that is a big NO, NO for thyroid patients is SOY ... STAY FAR, FAR AWAY FROM SOY ...

And be sure to cook your cruciferous veggies ...
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Case in point re: macros. I have mine set to 60 carbs. Other than plain greek yogurt, 2 tbs coconut milk creamer, and 1 tbs of pure maple syrup, I am pretty much left with 1 carb. There isn't room for bread or anything refined.

This makes my 2 glasses of wine tonight sort of hard to fit in there even though I have the calories for it. I think the "fit it in your macros" only works if you have a much higher calorie range.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Perhaps why I am always left with those pesky last pounds is b/c I don't care enough to not drink the wine. So, there is that!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

How so?

Diabetic or thyroid condition or not, I think if one routinely chooses doritos as their go to carb and fills their 40% (or whatever their magical macros are set to) to highly processed foods like doritos they'll see some health issues... but then, I'm sure that would be called a conspiracy theory or some such thing.
    cheers!:drinker:

That example is just a bit extreme don't you think? No one is saying to fill 40% carbs with doritos. But if an individual has a well planned out day, in caloric deficit, targeting macros then honestly your going to argue that a bag of doritos vs a bag of carrots is going to make a big difference health wise?

Link me to some readings where keeping all the things I mentioned in consideration and eating some processed carbs leads to this big list of health issues you speak of.
    Nope. Not gonna argue that. As long as we are, in fact, talking about MODERATION. I look at diaries here where I see NO carbs coming from fruits or vegetables. Only from the so-called "starchy carbs" and usually quite processed (minute rice and the like). Day after day. Will that lead to a problem? Time will tell, but my bet is yes.