ARE CARBS BAD

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Case in point re: macros. I have mine set to 60 carbs. Other than plain greek yogurt, 2 tbs coconut milk creamer, and 1 tbs of pure maple syrup, I am pretty much left with 1 carb. There isn't room for bread or anything refined.

This makes my 2 glasses of wine tonight sort of hard to fit in there even though I have the calories for it. I think the "fit it in your macros" only works if you have a much higher calorie range.
    Wine doesn't have many carbs, fwiw. Two 5oz pinot grigios would have about 7 grams of carbs. But yes, the smaller the window between BMR and TDEE the fewer discretionary calories and therefore, the fewer discretionary carbs one has, if one goes by macros.
    I have mine set to 30%c/40%p/40%f, but still, one good sandwich kinda does it, unless you ignore all fruit as many do on here.

(I plan to have 2 or 3 glasses of dry white wine tonight. And will come in under calories, (though I'm not counting these days) thanks to a good run, and a bike commute!) Enjoy yours as well!!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus is that 30% should be protein, 25% should be fat, and the rest filled with carbs.

General consensus??

I should clarify - most of the articles I've read this week suggest some kind of similar ratio. Some articles were written by fitness buffs, some by personal trainers, some by health professionals, and some just posted on websites - not sure about who the author is.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't think carbs are bad, but I think refined carbs are not conducive to weight loss.

And, I also think lifestyle factors into it.

I lost weight eating tons of carbs (even refined ones) in my 20's when I was working out an hour a day. Fast forward 18 years, 2 kids, a desk job, and some physical issues that prevent me from working out like I used to, and yes, carbs factor into it much more than they used to.

The people I find, on here, who say it matters not tend to be younger, work out a lot, or have more weight to lose.

Take someone with a little age, who is not doing CrossFit or PX90, and who doesn't have a whole lot to lose, and yes, I think it matters more.

Also, I know there is 1200 calorie hatred, but again (for the reasons stated above) there are those who need to eat in that range and carbs don't always factor "into the macros" as easily.

Yep... which is why IMO the answer to just about every diet question is... it depends.
    Ditto!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The body requires no carbs for life but you will die if you don't get sufficient protein and fat.

According to my human biology class, you are very wrong. You need carbs to live. They get broken down into glucose, which you need for cellular respiration, which you need for everything.

Before you tell others how wrong they are maybe you should take a good look at yourself? Have they covered the definition of "essential nutrient" or gluconeogenesis in your class yet? I am not advocating no or even low carb. But it the interests of accuracy, you clearly are confused. We do not need carbs to live. We need glucose which can be synthesized via gluconeogenesis. It good to understand the subject before calling others wrong.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It matters for body composition, not so much for weight loss.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Just letting you all know that I'm still alive. Didn't even wake up super obese either. Cool bananas. Therefore, carbs are not bad.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The body requires no carbs for life but you will die if you don't get sufficient protein and fat.

According to my human biology class, you are very wrong. You need carbs to live. They get broken down into glucose, which you need for cellular respiration, which you need for everything.

Before you tell others how wrong they are maybe you should take a good look at yourself? Have they covered the definition of "essential nutrient" or gluconeogenesis in your class yet? I am not advocating no or even low carb. But it the interests of accuracy, you clearly are confused. We do not need carbs to live. We need glucose which can be synthesized via gluconeogenesis. It good to understand the subject before calling others wrong.

Yes our bodies have the ability to create glucose (gluco-neogenesis) but remember, that function is also a stressor on the body. It is an adaptation to the perception of starvation which going too low carb for too long induces. Our bodies can do it if they have too... but the question is, do they have to.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It matters for body composition, not so much for weight loss.

???
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Yes our bodies have the ability to create glucose (gluco-neogenesis) but remember, that function is also a stressor on the body. It is an adaptation to the perception of starvation which going too low carb for too long induces. Our bodies can do it if they have too... but the question is, do they have to.

Agreed! And I am not in any way a proponent of low carb. However the condescension of one who is taking a "class" in telling someone who made a correct statement that they are "very wrong" I found pretty ironic. Why avoid carbs if you have no medical condition like diabetes or insulin resistance? I can't think of a single reason. There is no research that indicates that carb restriction is superior to other forms of diet for weight loss if calories and protein are held constant. Just one macro to be managed and not even the highest priority one, though that would be hard to believe based on the attention carbs get around here!
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    NO CARBS ARE NOT BAD!
    Eating too many carbs is bad!
    Eating more calories than you expend is going to make you gain weight!
    Carbs are NEEDED for energy.
    They are in fruit and veggies!
    Don't be afraid of carbs!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Perhaps why I am always left with those pesky last pounds is b/c I don't care enough to not drink the wine. So, there is that!

I :heart: you.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! Stay away from them!!!!! Carbs are evil!!!! I caught my wife in bed with carbs and it ruined our marriage. Carbs are also responsible for my taxes going up, by dog running away and everything else wrong with my life!! I HATE CARBS!!!
  • mattvdh82
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5zyqyXTQhiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_884992&feature=iv&src_vid=5zyqyXTQhiw&v=F4yfULy2RjA

It's not so much that carbs are bad, it's that foods that are high on glycemic index are bad, and they happen to be carbs.