Saying No to Vaccinations

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I should have woken up earlier. I don't know who to argue with now. :angry:

Ha, nice to see you. I like your terse and straight to the point posts.

:flowerforyou:
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Speaking strictly flu vaccinations, I say they are pointless. They vaccinate you only using last years viruses, not the current ones. I got flu-like symptoms from my flu shot, which is pretty common. Just not worth it for me.

If you're talking about childhood immunization, that's a different story and I'm all for it.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have asthma. If I DON'T get the flu shot, I might die.

^^^^ This. My allergist won't let me leave her office without it. Funny, I had just called her to make my appointment for it when I saw this thread. :P

Also, if you do not have a current tetanus shot - doctors will not let you depart their office without it. So if you're anti-vaccine, make sure you don't tell them you're 10 years out of date.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Get your people shots, folks. Not just for yourself, but for your community. If you get sick with something that you could have easily been immunized for and you end up getting someone else sick because they couldn't afford or obtain the vaccine themselves then that person could be seriously affected by it. If you're worried about possible issues that come with vaccines, read up on them. Don't rely on back alley whispers of autism and mercury.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Is it a huge, evil, megacorporation that wants everybody to be on their deathbeds. No.

Oh really.

Do you listen to the ads for medications out there? What do you think a "fatal event" is? How is it possible to get cancer, TB, go blind or what have you from taking a medication that's supposed to help a condition? How is it even right to put a drug like that into production, knowing that there are people that might die from taking it?

Do you honestly think the FDA and Big Pharma actually cares about the people who take their medication?

While I share absolutely no love for Big Pharma or the FDA, myself... vaccinations... particularly for things like Pertussis, Measles, Rotovirus, Polio... are not something that is particularly negotiable... All of things have higher risks of debilitation and even death than the vaccine does. And while I don't personally get the flu shot (nor does anyone in my household), it is still on the table if we deem it necessary. I only got the flu shot once in my known life and that was while I was pregnant and when H1N1 was prevelant in our area and there were known cases of pregnant women dying or getting very ill and staying the hospital for weeks.
  • whierd
    Options
    Speaking strictly flu vaccinations, I say they are pointless. They vaccinate you only using last years viruses, not the current ones. I got flu-like symptoms from my flu shot, which is pretty common. Just not worth it for me.

If you're talking about childhood immunization, that's a different story and I'm all for it.

No, they vaccinate you with what they project this years virus will look like based on predicted mutation patterns.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    The added chemicals that affect your brain hormones/neurotransmitters and overall function within your body. It's become a chemical **** show, and the flu shot is not the dead virus it's a watered down version of the real virus. People get scared because of this and thus become anti-vaccine. Also you never know which strain of the flu is coming and if the flu shot even protects against the virus, so it's like you are injecting yourself with a watered down virus for something that might not even help protect you. You also have a great chance of building up antibodies to the virus on your own by keeping your immune system up, and studies have shown that vaccines kill your immune system and your bodies function to be able to make crucial antibodies.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I don't know

But I've had the flu vaccination every year for the past 5, generally as soon as the flu season hits I hit the floor, since getting the flu shot I've come out unscathed every season except this one, but I would argue it was a strain that wasn't covered in this vaccination.

I work in a high risk job as well as in a high risk family for these types of things (I'm an emergency service worker and my wife is a primary school teacher, I think the best breeding places for disease ? Primary school) and if I don't get vaccinated I think I would be home sick more often than I'm at work.

But then again to my hippy friends I'm a bad parent as my kids are all up to date for all their vaccinations, I know there is a lot of talk about kids becoming Autistic after their vaccinations and I read up quite a bit before I took my eldest for all his, and I honustly dont think these claims are sustanicated

And yet, the single study ever that showed a correlation between MMR and autism has been retracted from the Lancet because after NO ONE was able to repeat his result the researcher admitted he FAKED the results. And they're killing other people's children spreading this admitted lie.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/01/anti-vaccine-parents-caused-californias-lethal-whooping-cough-epidemic/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2012/07/23/anti-vaccine-movement-causes-the-worst-whooping-cough-epidemic-in-70-years/

http://healthland.time.com/2013/09/30/parents-not-vaccinating-kids-contributed-to-whooping-cough-outbreaks/

Add this one to your list:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20130820-measles-outbreak-linked-to-tarrant-county-megachurch.ece?nclick_check=1

That church is no longer "anti-vax"... Most people that were aren't when their kids come down with a preventable by vaccine disease/illness and they have to watch their kids suffer the effects of it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, if you do not have a current tetanus shot - doctors will not let you depart their office without it.
    That is not true.

I petty much remmeber my tetanus shots based on my clumsiness.

In 1999, I accidentally spilled boiling water on my hand and they gave me a tetanus shot in the ER.

I didn't have another until this past June when I broke my arms rollerblading.
  • whierd
    Options
    Get your people shots, folks. Not just for yourself, but for your community. If you get sick with something that you could have easily been immunized for and you end up getting someone else sick because they couldn't afford or obtain the vaccine themselves then that person could be seriously affected by it. If you're worried about possible issues that come with vaccines, read up on them. Don't rely on back alley whispers of autism and mercury.

That brings up an interesting discussion.

Do we, as individuals, have a social responsibility to protect our fellow citizens from sickness by preventing sickness within ourselves?
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Had the flu once and don't ever care to repeat that. Get the flu shot every year since.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options

No, they vaccinate you with what they project this years virus will look like based on predicted mutation patterns.

When I got my only flu shot the nurse told me it's last years virus's.
  • dylanafghjkl
    dylanafghjkl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had no clue this thread was going to be so much fun!
    I wasn't even expecting a reply honestly!!

Really? Vaccine talk is almost always controversial.
    Hrrmrmrm, what else is controversial I wonder?
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    If this one hasn't been posted it's a really good pro-vaccine article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jj-keith/vaccines_b_3829948.html
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have nursed children with whooping cough - horrible disease; I am a family genealogist and so many children in my family history died of preventable diseases whilst just little - measles, etc - before vaccinations became available. Vaccination works to stop these diseases. If someone really doesn't want to do it, then OK, but don't push it onto others. I worked at a school and we had a list of all the kids who weren't immunised - if anyone got measles they had to be excluded from school, day care, etc.

Autism is a worry, but I haven't read enough to know if it is linked to / proven to be linked to getting your kids immunised.

I get the flu shot every year.

There was a single study published in the Lancet in 1998 that showed a correlation between autism and the MMR vaccine. As is usual in science, other researchers went on to try and repeat the Wakefield results and confirm this link. No one was able to repeat Wakefield's results. In 2004 the Lancet stated that the study should never have been published. Wakefield had been paid by a legal aid group seeking evidence to use to sue vaccine manufacturers and had, himself, applied for a patent on a vaccine that would have been a competitor to the MMR vaccine he tested. None of that was disclosed at the time the paper was published, and data was "manipulated" to achieve the reported results. No other study has showed a link between autism and the MMR or any other vaccine. This link has been fully discredited.
  • whierd
    Options
    The added chemicals that affect your brain hormones/neurotransmitters and overall function within your body. It's become a chemical **** show, and the flu shot is not the dead virus it's a watered down version of the real virus. People get scared because of this and thus become anti-vaccine. Also you never know which strain of the flu is coming and if the flu shot even protects against the virus, so it's like you are injecting yourself with a watered down virus for something that might not even help protect you. You also have a great chance of building up antibodies to the virus on your own by keeping your immune system up, and studies have shown that vaccines kill your immune system and your bodies function to be able to make crucial antibodies.

hD66153AA
  • k8blujay2
    Options

That brings up an interesting discussion.

Do we, as individuals, have a social responsibility to protect our fellow citizens from sickness by preventing sickness within ourselves?

I believe we do.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

References?
    Also, I'll tell my cousin with juvenile diabetes that keeping his own immune system up will keep himself alive.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options

The nurse was wrong. If last years viruses would work anybody who got the flu last year wouldn't need this year's shot because they'd be immune.
  • whierd
    Options

Your nurse likely doesn't read up on the literature for the vaccine she is using, though I'm not saying that it couldn't be last years virus. However, most vaccines contain at least 3 or 4 different predicted strains.
This discussion has been closed.