Saying No to Vaccinations

Options

Replies

• EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Also, if you do not have a current tetanus shot - doctors will not let you depart their office without it.
    That is not true.

I petty much remmeber my tetanus shots based on my clumsiness.

In 1999, I accidentally spilled boiling water on my hand and they gave me a tetanus shot in the ER.

I didn't have another until this past June when I broke my arms rollerblading.

Ah... I was physically prevented from leaving til I got mine that was .... well, I didn't remember the previous one. I think it was when I went to college, so it would have been more than 15 years. They told me it was state law. I seriously fought with them about it. So I should have caveated that... my bad.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Also, if you do not have a current tetanus shot - doctors will not let you depart their office without it.
    That is not true.

In 1999, I accidentally spilled boiling water on my hand and they gave me a tetanus shot in the ER.

Ah... I was physically prevented from leaving til I got mine that was .... well, I didn't remember the previous one. I think it was when I went to college, so it would have been more than 15 years. They told me it was state law. I seriously fought with them about it. So I should have caveated that... my bad.

Yeah it could be based on state law. In Texas, we weren't allowed to attend school unless we had one every ten years.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't know

But I've had the flu vaccination every year for the past 5, generally as soon as the flu season hits I hit the floor, since getting the flu shot I've come out unscathed every season except this one, but I would argue it was a strain that wasn't covered in this vaccination.

I work in a high risk job as well as in a high risk family for these types of things (I'm an emergency service worker and my wife is a primary school teacher, I think the best breeding places for disease ? Primary school) and if I don't get vaccinated I think I would be home sick more often than I'm at work.

But then again to my hippy friends I'm a bad parent as my kids are all up to date for all their vaccinations, I know there is a lot of talk about kids becoming Autistic after their vaccinations and I read up quite a bit before I took my eldest for all his, and I honustly dont think these claims are sustanicated

And yet, the single study ever that showed a correlation between MMR and autism has been retracted from the Lancet because after NO ONE was able to repeat his result the researcher admitted he FAKED the results. And they're killing other people's children spreading this admitted lie.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/01/anti-vaccine-parents-caused-californias-lethal-whooping-cough-epidemic/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2012/07/23/anti-vaccine-movement-causes-the-worst-whooping-cough-epidemic-in-70-years/

http://healthland.time.com/2013/09/30/parents-not-vaccinating-kids-contributed-to-whooping-cough-outbreaks/

Add this one to your list:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20130820-measles-outbreak-linked-to-tarrant-county-megachurch.ece?nclick_check=1

Paywalled link.

You're preaching to the choir. Vaccines good. Measles bad.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I had no clue this thread was going to be so much fun!
    I wasn't even expecting a reply honestly!!

Really? Vaccine talk is almost always controversial.
    Hrrmrmrm, what else is controversial I wonder?

handwashing...lol that get's em riled up too. I'm just always so impressed by all the immunologist that come out of the wood work to educate.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Get your people shots, folks. Not just for yourself, but for your community. If you get sick with something that you could have easily been immunized for and you end up getting someone else sick because they couldn't afford or obtain the vaccine themselves then that person could be seriously affected by it. If you're worried about possible issues that come with vaccines, read up on them. Don't rely on back alley whispers of autism and mercury.

That brings up an interesting discussion.

Do we, as individuals, have a social responsibility to protect our fellow citizens from sickness by preventing sickness within ourselves?

Yes. And to stay the eff home when we're ill. Took little to a movie last month. During the previews the chick behind us answers the phone and tells her mom that her strep test came back positive and the doc called in a script for her that she wanted her mom to pick up. :angry: GO HOME!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Get your people shots, folks. Not just for yourself, but for your community. If you get sick with something that you could have easily been immunized for and you end up getting someone else sick because they couldn't afford or obtain the vaccine themselves then that person could be seriously affected by it. If you're worried about possible issues that come with vaccines, read up on them. Don't rely on back alley whispers of autism and mercury.

Do we, as individuals, have a social responsibility to protect our fellow citizens from sickness by preventing sickness within ourselves?

I believe we do.

I believe we do as well. I have never gotten the flu IN MY LIFE, but it took some education and being forced to get the flu shot while in the military for me to realize why we get vaccinated. Nobody in the military contracts these horrible illnesses because we have ALL received the shots, so together we are protecting all of us.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That is not true.

Yeah it could be based on state law. In Texas, we weren't allowed to attend school unless we had one every ten years.
    I had to prove I was vaccinated for college. I was probably in the 10 years at that point. As an adult, though, I've been a bad girl about tetanus shots. I just forget and my doctor hasn't said anything to remind me.

But I'm good for the next 10 years now! lol
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Speaking strictly flu vaccinations, I say they are pointless. They vaccinate you only using last years viruses, not the current ones. I got flu-like symptoms from my flu shot, which is pretty common. Just not worth it for me.

If you're talking about childhood immunization, that's a different story and I'm all for it.

No, they vaccinate you with what they project this years virus will look like based on predicted mutation patterns.

When I got my only flu shot the nurse told me it's last years virus's.

Your nurse likely doesn't read up on the literature for the vaccine she is using, though I'm not saying that it couldn't be last years virus. However, most vaccines contain at least 3 or 4 different predicted strains.

Wouldn't they base their prediction by what's circulating the previous year? Regardless of how the virus's are selected, I don't get it for the reason that I get flu symptoms from them and ain't nobody got time for that.

I barely get sick anyways.
  • KxCoyote
    KxCoyote Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I can see why a lot of people are for it, and it is a wonderful invention, for the people it works for.
    But my family, me, my mother, her grandmother. Any time any of us got a flu shot. We got the flu. And when we didn't? We didn't get as sick. We still got the flu, but we weren't down-and-out like we were after the flu-shots. And the flu never lasted as long, generally a day or two with fever, and done. After flu shots, the flu would last about a week before breaking.

Now, please don't get me wrong, Vaccines are amazing things, but again, they don't work for everyone.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Speaking strictly flu vaccinations, I say they are pointless. They vaccinate you only using last years viruses, not the current ones. I got flu-like symptoms from my flu shot, which is pretty common. Just not worth it for me.

If you're talking about childhood immunization, that's a different story and I'm all for it.

No, they vaccinate you with what they project this years virus will look like based on predicted mutation patterns.

Your nurse likely doesn't read up on the literature for the vaccine she is using, though I'm not saying that it couldn't be last years virus. However, most vaccines contain at least 3 or 4 different predicted strains.

Wouldn't they base their prediction by what's circulating the previous year? Regardless of how the virus's are selected, I don't get it for the reason that I get flu symptoms from them and ain't nobody got time for that.

They are, yes. The virus is tracked throughout the year and monitored so that any changes are noted and the new vaccine created based on the direction they believe it is heading in.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I can see why a lot of people are for it, and it is a wonderful invention, for the people it works for.
    But my family, me, my mother, her grandmother. Any time any of us got a flu shot. We got the flu. And when we didn't? We didn't get as sick. We still got the flu, but we weren't down-and-out like we were after the flu-shots. And the flu never lasted as long, generally a day or two with fever, and done. After flu shots, the flu would last about a week before breaking.

Now, please don't get me wrong, Vaccines are amazing things, but again, they don't work for everyone.

You're right, they don't work for everyone. You can blame the reason your family got the flu on other folks you were around that DIDN'T get vaccinated. This is why it's so important that EVERYONE get vaccinated.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

They are, yes. The virus is tracked throughout the year and monitored so that any changes are noted and the new vaccine created based on the direction they believe it is heading in.

How do you know all this stuff?! :-D
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options

I feel that we do. We're all individuals, but we're also all connected in some way. We have things like laws and etiquette in place so we can live together in relative peace and harmony. I don't think helping to keep others safe from illness is too much of a step further from those things. Vaccines are a dual benefit--you have less of a chance of getting an illness when you get one and you offer that reduced risk to the people around you who couldn't get vaccinated. It's a nice thing. (:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I believe we do.

I believe we do as well. I have never gotten the flu IN MY LIFE, but it took some education and being forced to get the flu shot while in the military for me to realize why we get vaccinated. Nobody in the military contracts these horrible illnesses because we have ALL received the shots, so together we are protecting all of us.

There were a couple people a few pages back that didn't think so. One person was concerned only about looking out for #1 and the other believed that it was sort of a "cleansing" of the population to let the ones who could not have shots (old,newborn,pregs,immune compromised) just deal with it and die, I guess. Survival of the fittest and all that.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

I believe we do.

I believe we do as well.

I've had the flu twice, once being the H1N1. I had my vaccine and was warned that I was susceptible for 8-10 days before it took effect. Went to school, and a few days later I found out that my desk-mate had gotten "sick" ... the next day I was bed-ridden, and then in the hospital with H1N1.

The next year, I picked up another flu, which felt the same as the H1N1. Felt like I was going to die (I can be a little dramatic at times lol) .. that year I forgot to get the flu shot.

My daughter is fully vaccinated, but took a reaction at 6 months to her flu shot. I have a hard time finding anyone that will give her one so she hasn't had one since she was 6 months. She's 4 now. I'm still conflicted.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I would appreciate it for the health of my child if people would vaccinate their own children. Herd immunity will only work for so long for those anti vaxxers.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/30/whooping-cough-california/2877343/
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    This year there is the largest number of cases of the measles since the 90's primarily due to the "Anti-Vaccine" movement.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/12/health/worst-measles-year/index.html

We had a woman that refused to get the flu shot (it's mandatory where i work) and stated that it was because she was pregnant. Her baby died in the hospital because of the respiratory flu virus. If she would have gotten vaccinated, she could have passed her immunity onto her baby. It's preventable.

If you look at past generations, it was common for families to bury 1 or more of their children because they had died from an illness that we are now able to vaccinate against. That doesn't happen often anymore because people take the precautions, but the more and more people refuse to immunize their kids, the more likely those diseases will because more frequented.
  • whierd
    Options

How do you know all this stuff?! :-D

As I said earlier in the thread, I am really smart and read a lot. :tongue:

Plus I've discussed vaccines ad nauseum so pretty much everything that has been said in this thread I've gone through a half dozen times already.
  • whierd
    Options

I believe we do.

There were a couple people a few pages back that didn't think so. One person was concerned only about looking out for #1 and the other believed that it was sort of a "cleansing" of the population to let the ones who could not have shots (old,newborn,pregs,immune compromised) just deal with it and die, I guess. Survival of the fittest and all that.

Yeah, the whole "overpopulation" discussion is a separate one that merits its own thread. That one will get nasty quickly.
This discussion has been closed.