Saying No to Vaccinations

Options

Replies

• calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you can get a vaccine, you absolutely should. People who are immunocompromised or who have a legitimate reason for not getting vaccinated (such as being allergic to an ingredient) DEPEND on herd immunity. If you choose not to vaccinate yourself/your kids for stupid reasons like "but I heard it causes autism!" or "but I never get sick, why should I bother?" then you're endangering those people.

Also, why wouldn't you take the opportunity to protect yourself from disease? Seriously...

I'm glad to see that most MFPers are sane and don't subscribe to anti-vaccination hysteria.

/thread
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You really think Big Farma and the FDA has everyone's best interests at hear?

I don't give a crap who makes money but when there's kickbacks going around to the pharmaceutical companies for writing out prescriptions that aren't needed then I have a problem with that. When the FDA approves drugs, puts them on the market and has a whole list of side effects -- 'FATAL EVENTS MAY OCCUR' -- then yes, I have a problem with it.

One should not die, get cancer, TB, or any other disease because they took a medication to stop a disease.
    At least there's someone else with common sense in here.
    Common sense is educating onesself on the particular disease in need of treatment and the pros and cons of taking a medication.

My cholesterol is quite high. It's genetic. No one in my family has ever had a heart attack or stroke, however, and longevity is quite common. My HDL is higher than normal, my triglycerides are fine and my blood pressure is low. Taking all of that into account, I decided I would NOT risk my liver to go on cholesterol meds.

That doesn't mean someone else shouldn't under other circumstances.

And I think if the people in the drug industry were as evil as the tin foil hatters think, we would all be dropping dead left and right instead of living longer, healthier lives than ever.

Everything you do has a risk. It's all about weighing risk and reward and making your choice.

I'm grateful for what we have available now.

And that's your prerogative.

Mine is to not get a flu vaccine and to not listen to everything Big Pharma and the FDA says.
    You don't have to listen to what they say. Just look at the evidence all around of what they DO. A lot of drugs have side effects, yes. But how many people are helped vs. how many are hurt by those drugs?

The balance is HUGE.

I know countless women (including myself) who were or are on the pill for years. I know ONE who had a serious side effect from it. To me, that's worth the risk.

The pill has been shown to increae a woman's chances (by a VERY small amount) of getting breast cancer, But it decreases the risk of ovarian cancer. If I had to choose between the two cancers, I'd pick breast every time. Compare survival rates of the two.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My friend is a doctor. They offer vaccines to people, but she said she would never take any herself. They are filled with mercury. Also vaccines has been shown to cause autism in some cases!

Vaccines used to contain mercury as a preservative. They have not contained mercury in years. Mercury was linked to autism, though never proven. Your doctor friend may be a quack if he/she is still spewing that bs.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If you can get a vaccine, you absolutely should. People who are immunocompromised or who have a legitimate reason for not getting vaccinated (such as being allergic to an ingredient) DEPEND on herd immunity. If you choose not to vaccinate yourself/your kids for stupid reasons like "but I heard it causes autism!" or "but I never get sick, why should I bother?" then you're endangering those people.

Also, why wouldn't you take the opportunity to protect yourself from disease? Seriously...

I'm glad to see that most MFPers are sane and don't subscribe to anti-vaccination hysteria.

/thread

Thank you!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Is it a huge, evil, megacorporation that wants everybody to be on their deathbeds. No.

Oh really.

Do you listen to the ads for medications out there? What do you think a "fatal event" is? How is it possible to get cancer, TB, go blind or what have you from taking a medication that's supposed to help a condition? How is it even right to put a drug like that into production, knowing that there are people that might die from taking it?

Do you honestly think the FDA and Big Pharma actually cares about the people who take their medication?

Do you really believe that 'Big Pharma' want you dead?

Even if you want to be really cynical about it, a dead body is worth exactly zilch to 'Big Pharma'

Yea, medications can have harmful side affects. As someone stared before it is about weighing out the risks vs the benefits and the benefits of (particularly child) vaccination outweigh the risks every single time.
  • Benji_Applebaum
    Options
    We vaccinate our kids. With our son being deaf and having cochlear implants...meningitis is very serious for him if he were to get it.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Is it a huge, evil, megacorporation that wants everybody to be on their deathbeds. No.

Oh really.

Do you listen to the ads for medications out there? What do you think a "fatal event" is? How is it possible to get cancer, TB, go blind or what have you from taking a medication that's supposed to help a condition? How is it even right to put a drug like that into production, knowing that there are people that might die from taking it?

Do you honestly think the FDA and Big Pharma actually cares about the people who take their medication?

I had a stroke from a medication that has helped millions of people. I was the first documented case of having that reaction. Does that mean this drug shouldn't be available to those others?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Jealous that I never been fat in my life. I only have 10 lbs to lose. I never weighed over 110 in my life.
    Oh I know yup! Thank God I have and was blessed with good genes. Ba bye! Unless somebody wants me to tell fat jokes LMFAOI

crazy.gif
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Anyone who refuses to vaccinate their kids should be seen as a neglectful parent. Just my view. You shouldn't want your child to catch a disease that can be prevented nor spread that disease to other children. It's not right.

Again, just my opinion on the matter.

:flowerforyou:
  • dylanafghjkl
    dylanafghjkl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Charm has nothing to do with it. I'm a realist. Guess what; I'm also for assisted suicide. My life, my choices.
    hi friend i think you're getting realism mixed up with pessimism
  • fairyt4l3s
    Options
    I've been vaccinated against everything and I'm perfectly fine. No autism, nothing. And even if it did cause autism, I would rather have a mental condition (that can be treated/maintained) than a crippling disease.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I had no clue this thread was going to be so much fun!
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't know

But I've had the flu vaccination every year for the past 5, generally as soon as the flu season hits I hit the floor, since getting the flu shot I've come out unscathed every season except this one, but I would argue it was a strain that wasn't covered in this vaccination.

I work in a high risk job as well as in a high risk family for these types of things (I'm an emergency service worker and my wife is a primary school teacher, I think the best breeding places for disease ? Primary school) and if I don't get vaccinated I think I would be home sick more often than I'm at work.

But then again to my hippy friends I'm a bad parent as my kids are all up to date for all their vaccinations, I know there is a lot of talk about kids becoming Autistic after their vaccinations and I read up quite a bit before I took my eldest for all his, and I honustly dont think these claims are sustanicated

And yet, the single study ever that showed a correlation between MMR and autism has been retracted from the Lancet because after NO ONE was able to repeat his result the researcher admitted he FAKED the results. And they're killing other people's children spreading this admitted lie.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/01/anti-vaccine-parents-caused-californias-lethal-whooping-cough-epidemic/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2012/07/23/anti-vaccine-movement-causes-the-worst-whooping-cough-epidemic-in-70-years/

http://healthland.time.com/2013/09/30/parents-not-vaccinating-kids-contributed-to-whooping-cough-outbreaks/
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
  • dylanafghjkl
    dylanafghjkl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I wasn't even expecting a reply honestly!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I don't know

But I've had the flu vaccination every year for the past 5, generally as soon as the flu season hits I hit the floor, since getting the flu shot I've come out unscathed every season except this one, but I would argue it was a strain that wasn't covered in this vaccination.

I work in a high risk job as well as in a high risk family for these types of things (I'm an emergency service worker and my wife is a primary school teacher, I think the best breeding places for disease ? Primary school) and if I don't get vaccinated I think I would be home sick more often than I'm at work.

But then again to my hippy friends I'm a bad parent as my kids are all up to date for all their vaccinations, I know there is a lot of talk about kids becoming Autistic after their vaccinations and I read up quite a bit before I took my eldest for all his, and I honustly dont think these claims are sustanicated

And yet, the single study ever that showed a correlation between MMR and autism has been retracted from the Lancet because after NO ONE was able to repeat his result the researcher admitted he FAKED the results. And they're killing other people's children spreading this admitted lie.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/01/anti-vaccine-parents-caused-californias-lethal-whooping-cough-epidemic/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2012/07/23/anti-vaccine-movement-causes-the-worst-whooping-cough-epidemic-in-70-years/

http://healthland.time.com/2013/09/30/parents-not-vaccinating-kids-contributed-to-whooping-cough-outbreaks/

Add this one to your list:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20130820-measles-outbreak-linked-to-tarrant-county-megachurch.ece?nclick_check=1
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I wasn't even expecting a reply honestly!!

Really? Vaccine talk is almost always controversial.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I should have woken up earlier. I don't know who to argue with now. :angry:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I should have woken up earlier. I don't know who to argue with now. :angry:

Ha, nice to see you. I like your terse and straight to the point posts.
This discussion has been closed.