Be honest with me...

Options

Replies

• spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Cliff's Notes of this thread:

"I want your approval to get this piercing. I don't want people to think bad things about me."

"I DON'T NEED YOUR APPROVAL! I DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK!"

I just don't want people to think "Damn, she looks like a pig!" I do want the approval that people won't be reminded of a pig when they look at me! So I totally do care what people think of it! I never claimed I didn't....I started this thread to get the feedback.

And then you objected that you didn't like the feedback.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't it a BULL that gets this type of piercing? I haven't ever heard of a pig with a septum piercing.

All in all no matter what any if us say its up to you to decide whether you want one or not. I don't see how getting this piercing will make people think you are more or less of a "pig" if that's how you perceive yourself.

Bulls do, but so do pigs...I grew up on farm! It isn't as common but sometimes they will do it to HUGE hogs.

I have a septum piercing and the first thing my mother said was, "You look like a pig!" (I too grew up on a farm.)

That being said--DO IT. This is my favorite piercing because you can flip it up if you're annoyed with it or want to fly under the radar for a bit. DO WHAT YOU WANT! I love mine.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options

"I want your approval to get this piercing. I don't want people to think bad things about me."

LOL. You have a point.

Did you read my response back? I clearly DO need the approval that I won't trigger "pig" thoughts! I never said I don't care about what people think...I started this thread to hear WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT...but about the question I posed, not their personal opinion...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

I just don't want people to think "Damn, she looks like a pig!" I do want the approval that people won't be reminded of a pig when they look at me! So I totally do care what people think of it! I never claimed I didn't....I started this thread to get the feedback.

Feedback on a question I didn't ask. Sheesh...all I wanted was a simple answer to MY question. Hindsight...I should have stated that I wasn't interested in personal feelings of the actual piercing....I wasn't trying to start any drama.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    To answer your question: I have never looked at anyone of any size with a septum piercing and thought of farm animals. I do, however, think it's unflattering for people to have something hanging out of their nose. But maybe that's what they're going for - an "I'm not happy with how I look so I'm going to make myself even uglier" thing.

I don't mean to pick on just you because there have been several comments like this, but the "I'm going to make myself even uglier" line stood out to me. Let's all cool it with the comments comparing piercings directly to attractiveness, shall we? Bit harsh. If you don't like the piercing itself that's cool, but no need to make anyone who does have that type of piercing feel badly about themselves.

/white knight.
  • spookiefox
    Options

and for the most part we answered you...

that people probably wouldn't notice your size and think " she looks like a pierced pig" but rather people would hyper focus on the piercing and say "that's not for me"

we DID answer you...

your size has nothing to do with it. nothing...

so get the piercing and know that most people will be questioning why you did that...regardless of your size.

I know people will question it/dislike it and that is fine...but this particular answer is more what I was looking for...that overall my size won't sway their opinion...they will just wonder why the hell I did that...and that is ok...I wonder why people wear mom jeans on their flat *kitten* or have mullets or stacked haircuts or wear Crocs...I don't like that stuff and just because I don't doesn't mean they can't...

Thank-you

See, if you honestly don't care what they think you don't care if they think you look like a pig. I HONESTLY don't care what people think, and I never choose not to pierce, tattoo or otherwise change (or not change) something based on what anyone else thinks about it. If I wanted a septum piercing I could care less if people thought I look like a pig, cow, or fat girl with a septum piercing. And I like and wear crocs too, Sometimes with yoga pants. While riding my motorcycle.

And if you're asking about the appearance of something people will feel free to tell you. That's why I don't ask.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a complete *****, but I didn't ask anyone if they LIKED the piercing, I like it, that is what counts...I just want to know if people would look at me and go "Wow, why would a fat chick get a septum piercing?! She looks like a pig!"

Seriously, no sarcasm...I'm truly not being *****y by saying I didn't ask for personal liking of the piercing, I just really want honest opinions and to know if the general public would think that a fat girl with a septum piercing would trigger "pig" in their head...I would think that, but I'm hypercritical.

And I am so not averge size...I'm over 200lbs, a size 16/18 and medically speaking, obese....but good to know I'm a fooler. :-)

Most people are *kitten*, anyways, screw the general public and just do what you want!
    I've wanted one, but I always thought since I have a nose ring, it would look like I have too much going on in my face. That's just me.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Like a pig? no.

Like a bull? welllllll ... if it's a ring. But that has nothing to do with your size. I always give myself the giggles when I see a septum peircing because I always think "man, I just wanna tie a rope on that thing"

Sometimes they just look like 2 little clingy metal boogers, though.

Or a little tiny metal mustache. Then that evokes more cartoon imagery of the ol' "bone in the nose" look ..
  • spookiefox
    Options

Feedback on a question I didn't ask. Sheesh...all I wanted was a simple answer to MY question. Hindsight...I should have stated that I wasn't interested in personal feelings of the actual piercing....I wasn't trying to start any drama.

Yeah, we fat women in yoga pants and crocs on motorcycles are effing *****es that way. You DO care what people think. That's why you asked, and that's why you're upset about the answers you got.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have seen many fat people with assorted piercings and my first thought was whether or not the person looked good with it and not their weight.

Some people can carry certain piercings that are extreme to others. It is all in their personal swagger. I have loved septums on some people and not on others.

Personally i think your face is too pretty for a septum and it would only detract from your pretty eyes, clear skin, and nice jawline.

I do not think that piercing would suit you, not because of your weight, but because you have a pretty face and it may or may not spoil it, too risky.
    While I agree with this, I do think a small septum ring would be cute. or even a medusa (middle of the upper lip) or even a monroe (side upper lip, I miss mine hcore)
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    To answer your question: I have never looked at anyone of any size with a septum piercing and thought of farm animals. I do, however, think it's unflattering for people to have something hanging out of their nose. But maybe that's what they're going for - an "I'm not happy with how I look so I'm going to make myself even uglier" thing.

I don't mean to pick on just you because there have been several comments like this, but the "I'm going to make myself even uglier" line stood out to me. Let's all cool it with the comments comparing piercings directly to attractiveness, shall we? Bit harsh. If you don't like the piercing itself that's cool, but no need to make anyone who does have that type of piercing feel badly about themselves.

/white knight.

I think that is interesting some people think that and that is totally fine they do, its just weird to me. I understand THEY don't like it and they think it makes you uglier but I don't know how they don't understand that if a person likes something...it doesn't make them feel uglier, it makes them feel better. They personally find that "thing" esthetically pleasing. I know others hate tattoos but I have never felt more confident (despite my current weight/size) and some of that has to do withy my beautiful tattoos that give me great pleasure. I can only imagine how confident and sexy I would feel to bet at my ideal weight in addition to the good feelings I have about myself, now adorned with lovely art. I think lots of ways other women dress or the shoes they wear or how they wear their hair is hideous, but I never think "Wow, she is trying to make herself uglier!" just because that particular shoe/shirt/hairdo doesn't float my boat.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Cattle get ear tags and I never once was concerned that people would find it ironic if I, or anyone else who wasn't/isn't trim & fit got their ear(s) pierced. Soooo....if you want it do it. Just know that some people don't like the look and WILL make the cattle connection. That's THEIR problem, not yours.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

See, if you honestly don't care what they think you don't care if they think you look like a pig. I HONESTLY don't care what people think, and I never choose not to pierce, tattoo or otherwise change (or not change) something based on what anyone else thinks about it. If I wanted a septum piercing I could care less if people thought I look like a pig, cow, or fat girl with a septum piercing. And I like and wear crocs too, Sometimes with yoga pants. While riding my motorcycle.

And if you're asking about the appearance of something people will feel free to tell you. That's why I don't ask.

But I DO care. Well, I care NOT to hear "oink, oink" from some random *kitten*. I don't care if someone LIKES it, but I would be lying if I said that wouldn't hurt to hear an "oink" from someone....even though I know I shouldn't...its human nature and I'm not that tough...I think that is valid.
  • spookiefox
    Options
    I vote that if you like it, you get it. At the end of the day, if you don't like the way it looks, take it out. :-) The key to happiness, and being seriously sexy, is confidence. Start with that... rock it, or don't, but do either one with ALL of you.

The funny thing is...people who "know" me...like at work, school, strangers....think I'm SO confident because I do rock an off beat style and I am a big girl who dresses very feminine (dresses, skirts, heels....ALWAYS). I think it just my defense mechanism...."Please think I'm confident so you don't think you can hurt me." I "fake" confidence but like my fiance said, if you can "fake" confidence enough that people believe it, aren't you truly confident? Idk...

People who know me think I'm confident because the opposite.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

Most people are *kitten*, anyways, screw the general public and just do what you want!
    I've wanted one, but I always thought since I have a nose ring, it would look like I have too much going on in my face. That's just me.

Yeah, I feel like I will need to remove my nostril one if I do choose to do it. I agree with the "too much"...odd, since I wear fake lashes, winged liner and bright lipstick daily...lol. Apparently two metal objects in my nose crosses the line for me.
  • spookiefox
    Options

But I DO care. Well, I care NOT to hear "oink, oink" from some random *kitten*. I don't care if someone LIKES it, but I would be lying if I said that wouldn't hurt to hear an "oink" from someone....even though I know I shouldn't...its human nature and I'm not that tough...I think that is valid.

It is valid. As long as you don't keep insisting you don't care. You can tell the people who really don't care. They wear crocs, for one thing. Rebellion and tats and piercings don't make you an individual, being secure enough to do what you really like and not care if they say "oink" does.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Can't really offer you any valuable input since I think they look horrible on everyone regardless of size.

This. Exactly

Agree 100%
    yep
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

Yeah, we fat women in yoga pants and crocs on motorcycles are effing *****es that way. You DO care what people think. That's why you asked, and that's why you're upset about the answers you got.

Oh my. I have aknowledged, like, five times that I do care...never once said I didn't. Just specified what I was curious about and how I didn't need superflous comments about something I didn't ask. I'm not upset, just stating I wasn't looking for opinions on wheter people like the piercing itself. I know people don't like it, my own fiance hates it.

And your panties are quite in a bunch over the crocs comment....
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

While I agree with this, I do think a small septum ring would be cute. or even a medusa (middle of the upper lip) or even a monroe (side upper lip, I miss mine hcore)

I love the Monroe, but here in cosmetology school, they are a dime a dozen! I do love the Medusa too...I considered that if my answer to this thread was a lot of "Yeah, totally thought pig at first." Lol