Zombies are everywhere!

Options

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I think this topic should have more replies than "these forums have been sickening lately" and quite frankly, I'm sorely disappointed that there aren't.

TO KEEP THIS BALL ROLLING:

You meet a guy (or girl) who you coincidentally fall into deep love with (whether its because of your daily life or death situations, or you're really soul mates bound to be together through destruction is irrelevant). You're going to make love - but evidently everyone looted the condoms. Do you proceed to risking pregnancy, or do you do what you can to prevent this? See: THE WALKING DEAD.

This is the zombie apocalypse! Ain't no time to ride the baloney pony!
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    How do you think the zombie apocalypse will come about? I Am Legend? The Crazies? Out of nowhere? Do you have your own crazy theory?

A virus is pretty plausible, me thinks. We have different strains of viruses, new strains, coming out and going around constantly. One just happens to have a different kind of side effect. "Please beware: the H1N2 virus going around appears to be like nothing we have seen before. If you contract this virus, chances are you will die. You may even continue to walk after you are dead."

For a zombie virus to sucsessully manifest worldwide, the turn would have to be instantaneous in 85% of people, and have a multi day incubation period in the other 15% of people- to allow them to get on planes and such.

I've read that zombies are an inherently flawed species because their largest predator is also their food source and their only means of reproduction.

Zombie reproduction....gross.

According to a 2009 Carleton University and University of Ottawa epidemiological analysis, an outbreak of even Living Dead's slow zombies "is likely to lead to the collapse of civilization, unless it is dealt with quickly." Based on their mathematical modelling, the authors concluded that offensive strategies were much more reliable than quarantine strategies, due to various risks that can compromise a quarantine. They also found that developing a cure would merely leave a few humans alive, since this would do little to slow the infection rate.

On a longer time scale, the researchers found that all humans end up turned or dead. This is because the main epidemiological risk of zombies, besides the difficulties of neutralizing them, is that their population just keeps increasing; generations of humans merely "surviving" still have a tendency to feed zombie populations, resulting in gross outnumbering. The researchers explain that their methods of modelling may be applicable to the spread of political views or diseases with dormant infection.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I have a two story house.
    Gather all of the food, water, guns, ammo, ect and bring them upstairs.
    Destroy the outside staircase and barricade the inside one and simply hold out.

You would not survive the Zombie apocalypse.
    I think I would. As long as I can survive that first insane three months, I should be OK.
    I currently have enough food and water to last a year for my entire family.
    I have way too much ammunition but, it is hard to say I have enough to last for X amount of time. That depends on how much shooting I need to do.
    I figure the first three months will be the worst. After that, things should slow down a bit and I can remove the barricade from the staircase (spiral staircase BTW. Zombies can't climb it I don't think) and start on the re-enforcement of my home perimiter.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Imagine you wake up one morning and it's eerily quiet, and/or crazy havoc outside (depending on where you live). You look out of the blinds/curtains and zombies are EVERYWHERE! What do you do?

I would stay inside for probably a month SILENTLY so that everyone could get done killing and looting one another (because a 90" TV is really important when the world is ending ~ see 90% of zombie movies :P ).

We have come up with a plan to raid the nearest farm shop (seeds), book store ( books on farming/ medicine) and the pharmacy for drugs and then head out onto the moors. We even had a name for those who looted- 'TV nickers cos as you've said a tv wont get you anywhere in the post zombie world.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    How do you think the zombie apocalypse will come about? I Am Legend? The Crazies? Out of nowhere? Do you have your own crazy theory?

A virus is pretty plausible, me thinks. We have different strains of viruses, new strains, coming out and going around constantly. One just happens to have a different kind of side effect. "Please beware: the H1N2 virus going around appears to be like nothing we have seen before. If you contract this virus, chances are you will die. You may even continue to walk after you are dead."

For a zombie virus to sucsessully manifest worldwide, the turn would have to be instantaneous in 85% of people, and have a multi day incubation period in the other 15% of people- to allow them to get on planes and such.

I've read that zombies are an inherently flawed species because their largest predator is also their food source and their only means of reproduction.

I've read a book where the zombie apocalypse is brought on by parasites. They feed off the body then animate it to be able to find a new host to feed from, kind of like those zombie ants that are real.

My survival method; I've seen/read a couple of examples where if you cover yourself in zombie (gross, I know) or eat them (double-y gross!) then the smell you let off is as one of them. It's worth a try if you can walk freely with zombies! Gives you the chance to escape to somewhere safe, especially if there are a lot of surrounding zombies.

Maybe try my theory out by convincing someone you don't like to try it out first... :wink:
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Am I considered a zombie if I occasionally eat women?

hahaha
    This made my day
  • SpookyElectric
    SpookyElectric Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For UK people - you know there is an amazing street chase game so you can test how you would do in an ACTUAL zombie apocalypse...?

http://www.2.8hourslater.com/

Absolutely amazing - I always thought I would totally be a survivor... but I got INFECTED. Must train harder!!

But I urge you all to try it when it comes to a town near you - it's brilliantly done and you will absolutely scare yourself silly.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'd go to my island and live there.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    For UK people - you know there is an amazing street chase game so you can test how you would do in an ACTUAL zombie apocalypse...?

http://www.2.8hourslater.com/

Absolutely amazing - I always thought I would totally be a survivor... but I got INFECTED. Must train harder!!

But I urge you all to try it when it comes to a town near you - it's brilliantly done and you will absolutely scare yourself silly.

^^That is so cool!!
  • kevineneal
    kevineneal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are they the slow moving zombies like from Walking Dead? Or the fast moving ones like from World War Z.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

CDC Level 6 breach.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I would try to get to the coast as quickly as possible, find a boat, get off land as quickly as possible. I live 2 hours from the coast, and even if we're talking about zoombies (fast zombies) they aren't going to be swimming a mile off shore to come get me.

Fishing pole + desalinator + sailboat = long-term win.

Find an island or a well secured/fenced marina or port and you could make yourself a pretty good life there, with no chance of ever being surrounded.

If I am stuck on shore in a 'The Walking Dead' situation, I would not run around firing guns to sound the dinner bell for every zombie in a 3 mile radius if I could help it. I would get/make myself a spear and shield. Spear is long hand to hand range, easy targets,silent, simple to use against a zombie target, easy head shot every time, easy to make/improvise, easy to use safely in a choke-point like a hallway/doorway/window/fence. The Spartans had a pretty good idea!

the-battle-of-thermopylae-300.-movie-film-print-poster-canvas.-sizes-a3-a2-a1-360-p.jpg

Does nobody else get seriously annoyed watching TWD, knowing that if they had a sharp, sturdy stick and a chain-link fence you could literally clear the entire prison by yourself in a day?

In all honesty though, if you get caught in traffic, and the Z's are in traffic with a bunch of crazed people, you could have a SWAT team with you and your just going to get pulled down in time like everyone else.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    2vun60z.jpg

I'm just gonna stay this close to Daryl! He is so bad *kitten*! :heart:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I LOVE zombie films and all thing related.

My partner and I have discussed this before (in jest), we would stay indoors for a while as there's always food in the freezer and let everyone outside battle it out. We would keep an eye on the news and radio to listen out for possible 'safe zones'. We wouldn't bother to find any family or friends as it's always other people that let you down in the films. :laugh:

However, if they were the zombies in 28 days later or even worse, World War Z, I would probably just cry in a corner and lose control of all my bodily functions.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Plan B would be to gather the family and retreat to Peanut Island. (google it.
    Peanut Island Riveria Beach)

It is close to the West Palm Beach inlet so the strong currents should sweep away any walkers out into the Atlantic.
    Plus, the old JFK bunker is there just in case I need to hunker down for a while...
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    It seems that almost everyone plans to find an island.
    I picture numerous boats lining the coasts of the islands and lots of people.
    Either running out of resources super quickly, becoming more like the show Lost instead of The Walking Dead or someone dying from some other cause, turning and the disaster starts over.
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Calling all you fit and fab MFP'ers to get your food, hatchet, and weapon of choice and join me on a tour bus ride with the Partridge Family to the nearest Island. It will be easy to guard. We get to take turns shooting zombies (swimmers) in the surrounding water...and let there be coconuts and pineapple :)
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Even if you just stay off coast on a boat and go ashore to forage, at least you have a secure place to sleep and recover. If the area isn't a good scene, just sail on up/down the coast and find a better area.

Still though, whenever I see slow zombies sticking their heads through doors/windows/fences, I just think "Spear, spear, spear, SPEAR!!!"

Zoombies are infinitely more scary though.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Calling all you fit and fab MFP'ers to get your food, hatchet, and weapon of choice and join me on a tour bus ride with the Partridge Family to the nearest Island. It will be easy to guard. We get to take turns shooting zombies (swimmers) in the surrounding water...and let there be coconuts and pineapple :)

LOL! I am all in on this plan.

bus2000.jpg
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Revive! REVIVE FROM THE DEAD, I tell you!