my husband isn't supportive...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you need support, there are plenty of amazing people on here (myself included) who will be there to cheer you on along the way.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    So, I just started working out and eating better 4 days ago.. any time I talk about it to my husband he says "why are you trying me this? You're not going to lose any weight..." or says he gives it knew week... or I won't go back after my rest day... or that we're wastefully spending our money on the gym.. just a bunch of mean ****..

It's hard being motivated when he acts this way. How do I get him to realize I'm determined?

This really hurts my feelings more than anything.. I'm a pretty girl.. I just want the body to complete it.. I don't like being put down this way.

Sorry.. just venting.

The charitable view would be that he's trying to instigate anger, not depression - and is hoping to inspire (ignite) you into proving him wrong.

the uncharitable view would be that you married a total c**nt and it's time to stop letting your emotions be dragged around by the rotten stuff that comes out of his mouth. That's HIS soul he's showing you, not yours. :D

the even more uncharitable view would be that you've done this many times before and he's jaded.

Either way the answer is the same.

1. don't tell him about it. Don't talk to him about it, don't discuss it. I would never tell a man I was dieting anyway. it never works.
    2. carry on doing it.
    3. prove him wrong.

Editing: your'e 23. That means he's probably around that age too. Don't take that stuff seriously. If he was forty and saying it that'd be a big deal, but men in their 20's talk all sorts of crap.

Just ignore it. :p do what you decide to do.

I always get my boyfriend in on it when I'm dieting. He's a great sport about it as he really thinks a lot about his own healthy too. He cheats on the diets a lot, and that's fine, I am not trying to force anything on him. But when he wants to cook things or make plans to go out to eat, I just let him know that I need enough notice to plan my day and we are good. I tell him I need his support and he gives it by having me check the menu ahead of time to make sure there is something I can eat and by asking me if something he wants to cook will work for me. It's really great. So I don't agree that it never works to tell a guy you are dieting, that's all. It's more about him understanding that it's important to me and that he doesn't do things to throw me off, like bring home cheesecake or something. I would stress that to your husband. He doesn't have to participate or believe you can do it, he just needs to know it's not ok to do anything distructive to plan.