Do you let your partner tell you what to wear?

Options

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, never. I don't tell him what he should wear and I expect the same.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's all about the respect. I respect his will, he respects mine.
    In a perfect world.
    But in reality he's sometimes too vocal and wants me to look perfect all the time, perfect hair, perfect make up, perfect clothes. He wants me to look the best and the hottest but not available. Kind of like everyone would be jealous of him having a hot girlfriend, not a hooker. So I do wear tide dresses but not too much cleavage or short skirts, so it's sexy but classy.
    It is my style but I do want to relax sometimes and just wear pj all weekend long. But not with him around.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Nope not at all, just my mom because you know what they say "Momma knows best".
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It seems that boyfriends=husbands in this thread....hmmm:huh:
    My best friend has been married twice. Both her marriages put together didn't last as long as my relationship with him and we live together. Close enough.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Nope not at all, just my mom because you know what they say "Momma knows best".

+1 to the power n ,where n tends to infinity :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Once, my ex told me I dressed 'old' (of which I am aware) So I asked him along on a business apparel shopping trip. He picked out an outfit, down to the shoes.

I laughed, brought him home, and pulled out the EXACT outfit from the closet!

It was interesting to know he even noticed I was wearing clothes at all quite honestly as he looked right through me for years.

When I get a boyfriend/husband/significant other I will respect his opinion but he will be none of the above if he DEMANDS I not wear it. :flowerforyou:

( NOT that I am insinuating you leave!! :noway: just that I am at THAT place in MY life)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Once, my ex told me I dressed 'old' (of which I am aware) So I asked him along on a business apparel shopping trip. He picked out an outfit, down to the shoes.

I laughed, brought him home, and pulled out the EXACT outfit from the closet!

It was interesting to know he even noticed I was wearing clothes at all quite honestly as he looked right through me for years.

When I get a boyfriend/husband/significant other I will respect his opinion but he will be none of the above if he DEMANDS I not wear it. :flowerforyou:

( NOT that I am insinuating you leave!! :noway: just that I am at THAT place in MY life)

My ex husband used to sometimes say I dressed "old" too. He liked me best in a hoodie and jeans, which is funny because I am not a hoodie wearer and detest Converse All-Stars (his fav footwear on me). I feel cuter in a skirt, top, and flats or a dress and leggings and boots. I just feel better dressed up a little bit. My fiance (who is younger) thinks anything i wear looks good. Sometimes I will say "does this look too old?" about some business wear and he laughs at me and says some version of "You're hot, you're 36 years old...and you look younger than that, no matter what you wear...but you don't need to be in a hoodie and sneakers to look younger!" I like that attitude.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Fashion advice no...but I do think your partner should be able to voice his opinion on whether or not he finds your outfit to be too sexy.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    He never has. If he did, I would smile and nod, be polite and *kitten*. Then do whatever I wanted anyway.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    The only comment I ever got out of him was about my corset I wore when I went to New Orleans last October with friends. And even then all he said was "it doesn't cover up much does it?"
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I ain't scared to say it, but he probably thought you looked like a Hooker in your outfit & that's why he said not to wear it.

Are hookers wearing formal gowns now?

Depends on how classy the hooker.

Julia Roberts in Pretty woman.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    Fashion advice no...but I do think your partner should be able to voice his opinion on whether or not he finds your outfit to be too sexy.

I think your partner has the right to voice his opinion on it, sure.

I dont think he has the right to tell you, you are not allowed to wear it though.

Ultimately that is up to you.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I do value his opinion on my choice of outfit, ultimately the decision is mine.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I would tell my ex husband when he looked like a homeless man. He has a penchant for wearing ripped jeans. Drove me crazy.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    no way, even when I ask for my husbands opinion he doesn't like to say much, "i dunno women's style, you look good to me". I think sometimes he just doesn't want to get me upset lol
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I can't think of single time my bf has said anything about what I was wearing, but I don't dress up too often. I think he likes it when I look a little sexy, but that's only because he smacks my rear, not because he says it.

I think if your partner was objecting because he thought the dress was inappropriate for the occasion it might be one thing, but if it was just because he was worried about the attention you would be getting that's unfortunate. If he trusts you, people thinking you are sexy shouldn't be a problem.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm a guy with little to no fashion sense. She helps me look good lol otherwise I'd be in black t-shirts and sweatshirts 24/7
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    My husband buys me clothes to wear (I love it when those packages arrive) and if we go out he'll say something like 'Wear something sexy. And by sexy I mean NOT JEANS!" Lol.

I'll ask his opinion on how I look or what I'm wearing and he always gives an honest answer. If I put something on and he said "Why don't you wear X instead" it wouldn't bother me at all.

On the flip side I will let him know if something he has on doesn't look right and suggest another item to wear.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I ain't scared to say it, but he probably thought you looked like a Hooker in your outfit & that's why he said not to wear it.

Have you ever watched cops? Most of the hookers they're arresting or who they set up sting operations for are wearing jeans and sweatshirts. They're definitely NOT what one would think a hooker looks like.

Just sayin'.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    With the way the OP said, that definitely sounds controlling and I wouldn't be ok with that.

I do value my fiance's opinion and often ask should I wear this or this when getting ready to go out. Some clothes I have are really hideous that I only wear for dirty work and sometimes he'll make a little fun, but it's always something I've pointed out as being absolutely hideous myself before (I have a pair of jeans that make me look 20 years older and 20 pounds heavier, for example).

If anything, he likes it when I wear stuff that attracts attention. He likes to show me off and is confident enough to where he isn't worried about me getting attention from other guys.