The Skinny on Obesity (or: "Calories are not created equal")

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

ETA: best stop with the prepackaged chocolate chip cookies and chocolate protein bars where "sugar" and "corn Syrup" are listed on the label.

<<<stalks open diary's when people claim bogus crap.

Yes I know.. my first cookie in so long I can't remember. and yes.. i am stopping the protein bars. I thought they were healthy and low sugar, esp that one, but realized they are not. You can't diary shame me btw.. I own my choices. lol.

Anyway, I would argue that your ticker is substantial proof that ... you've had a calorie deficit for some time.

yep . my point was tickers have nothing to do with your opinion or consumption of sugar. since the person i was responding to claims to eat it all, and I eat very little.
    So you eat the occasional chocolate or pastry even though you think added sugar is evil? Any compromise with evil is still evil, isn't it?
    and yea.. but I also live in the real world, where added sugar happens. It just doesn't happen often in mine.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

ETA: best stop with the prepackaged chocolate chip cookies and chocolate protein bars where "sugar" and "corn Syrup" are listed on the label.

Yes I know.. my first cookie in so long I can't remember. and yes.. i am stopping the protein bars. I thought they were healthy and low sugar, esp that one, but realized they are not. You can't diary shame me btw.. I own my choices. lol.

Anyway, I would argue that your ticker is substantial proof that ... you've had a calorie deficit for some time.

yep . my point was tickers have nothing to do with your opinion or consumption of sugar. since the person i was responding to claims to eat it all, and I eat very little.
    So you eat the occasional chocolate or pastry even though you think added sugar is evil? Any compromise with evil is still evil, isn't it?
    and yea.. but I also live in the real world, where added sugar happens. It just doesn't happen often in mine.

How exactly does "added sugar" effect your body differently than sugar from fruits and vegetables?
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

But... but... it's evil? Why would you want to put something evil, vile, and unequivocally (you say) into your body, ever? if it's as bad as you think, any of it is detrimental to your progress.

Maybe you just better stick to fruit. I hear those sugars are good for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not evil...doesn't matter where you get it from...and I am one of those people who does eat sugar...chocolate bars, candy, ice cream, fudge sticks, drumsticks, pie, cookies, donuts etc...and lose weight, I am healthy, I do not have diabetes, blood work is all good, exercise and I am not young...

And for all the white knights coming in call people mean or rude or whatever...why because there are those of us who disagree..and even poke fun of this stuff...ever wonder why???? Think about it...look at the tickers and time here and then decide who actually knows the scoop and who doesn't.

Yay. I say added sugar is evil and I've got the ticker to prove it works, so I must know the scoop too (even though i have the opposite opinion of many of you). LOL and i do eat the occasional chocolate or pastry. Oh and I am also healthy, with a clean bill of health and no diabetes. :flowerforyou:

and yea.. maybe they just didn't' like my sauce.. maybe they've never had real homemade sauce before. (which is exactly it)

so let me get this straight...regular sugar in tomatoes is OK...added sugar is "evil" ....please explain how you square that one?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    People act like sucrose is pure evil, and fructose is the healthiest thing in the world. Sugar from fruit, and "added sugar" has the same effect on your body. Sucrose(added sugar) is a disaccharide consisting of a glucose chain and a fructose chain. Most fruit contains both fructose and glucose. If you don't have a medical reason to avoid sugar like diabetes or PCOS, then sugar is perfectly fine for you, as long as you're eating enough protein, fat, fiber, and vitamins and minerals. This can all be accomplished, and sugar can be enjoyed. Free your minds people

amen brother!

I have been saying the same thing for months..
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    *sigh* How about this? I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe and we all go on our merry way? I never said anyone else should or should not do anything else. In *my* world added sugar is not a friend. I never tried to claim anything else.

All i know.. is if I eat added sugar I feel like crap, i can't sleep and I get a headache. I also crave more sugar. So.. I cut as much of it out as I can. That doesn't happen when it's sugar from fruit. And yes.. those 2 cookies i had last week.. (or whenever that was) gave me a headache. If it doesn't do that for you. Then good for you. I will maintain my belief that added sugar is bad, esp in the quantity most people get it in. (since it's in pretty much everything you don't make yourself). You can maintain whatever you want.

And no.. not pre-diabetic, diabetic or anything. I get tested for it often because diabetes runs in my family.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    7ef.gif

So you eat the occasional chocolate or pastry even though you think added sugar is evil? Any compromise with evil is still evil, isn't it? Anyway, I would argue that your ticker is substantial proof that ... you've had a calorie deficit for some time. That's great! Just because you've lost weight by cutting out sugar (that is, the extra calories from sugar), doesn't make sugar the devil.

Also, just to weigh in on this, I don't put any sugar in my homemade spaghetti sauce, either; not only have I never had any complaints... I routinely receive compliments.

I think we are as equally as crazy perhaps.....:drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    And yes.. those 2 cookies i had last week.. (or whenever that was) gave me a headache.

Yeah, no. Well, yes, but it's psychosomatic.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What I find most amusing about the the sugar threads and the sugar thread addicts is looking at people's diaries. With the exception of the chick who eats candy for breakfast, the vast majority of the people who refute sugar is a problem, aren't actually eating it. Oh, I know there is the occasional small piece of candy, the quarter cup of ice cream, small portion of rice pudding, but on balance, they eat good food. Balanced diets without a lot of junk - even 1200 calorie diets! Now, before I get blasted, I have a life (at least I try). I could only look at so many diaries and a couple days each. Props to the guy who was in for a bowl of ice cream. He actually ate a bowl of ice cream.

If you feel you are the exception to the above generalization - I am sure you are and preemptively believe you.

Aren't actually eating it, or are eating it in moderation?

3EGP6.gif

What kind of lunatic wants a moderate amount of ice cream? Great, 200 calories of ice cream. A whole 1/4 of a pint. That really hit the spot. Yawn.

See that's the problem. Who wants a 1/4 cup. If you look at the container on the Ben & Jerry's ice cream that is a serving size. And most are around 300 calories. So by your logic it doesn't count if I don't eat the whole thing?

And yes that does satisfy me. You know why? Because I can have 1/4 cup today, and tomorrow and the next day.

And in case you think I'm talking some bs here is my freezer. I won't even show you my Count Chocula and Pop Tart closet.

20131004_221731_zps005c5712.jpg

I am not interested in quibbling over how much or how little sugar people eat or don't eat - moderation or not. Nor am I the guy who logged a quarter cup of ice cream - for real, I didn't make that up. You want to step up about how much sugar you eat, feel free - be loud and proud. Like I said, I don't really give a **** about what other people eat. I care what I eat. I may brag, but it won't be over anything in my freezer.
  • RivenV
    Options

Very much perhaps! :D
    And yes.. those 2 cookies i had last week.. (or whenever that was) gave me a headache.

I found this picture oddly fitting at this point.
    10f.gif

So, sort of like a physical manifestation of confirmation bias?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    *sigh* How about this? I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe and we all go on our merry way? I never said anyone else should or should not do anything else. In *my* world added sugar is not a friend. I never tried to claim anything else.

All i know.. is if I eat added sugar I feel like crap, i can't sleep and I get a headache. I also crave more sugar. So.. I cut as much of it out as I can. That doesn't happen when it's sugar from fruit. And yes.. those 2 cookies i had last week.. (or whenever that was) gave me a headache. If it doesn't do that for you. Then good for you. I will maintain my belief that added sugar is bad, esp in the quantity most people get it in. (since it's in pretty much everything you don't make yourself). You can maintain whatever you want.

Well that's a different story, some people may feel differently when they eat sugar, but this has nothing to do with how it affects your body. Sugar from fruit is ingested with fiber which for the most part prevents increased levels of blood glucose and corresponding insulin spikes, which most likely cause your cravings, and possibly your headaches. If you were to eat added sugar along with protein, or fiber, or both, you most likely would not have the same problems. Either way, it's completely fine if you avoid added sugar because you're personally not a fan of it, or how it makes you feel, but as far as the effect it has on your body, you can believe whatever you'd like, but unfortunately in this case you're mistaken. I believe in one thing and one thing only when it comes to nutrition: Published, peer reviewed, scientific studies, and they all point to added sugar being completely fine for you, as part of a balanced diet, as long as you do not have a predisposed medical reason to avoid it.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Very much perhaps! :D

I found this picture oddly fitting at this point.
    10f.gif

So, sort of like a physical manifestation of confirmation bias?

Whenever you post a JLaw gif, I totally skip the text and just watch her do the same thing a hundred times in a row.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I am not interested in quibbling over how much or how little sugar people eat or don't eat - moderation or not. Nor am I the guy who logged a quarter cup of ice cream - for real, I didn't make that up. You want to step up about how much sugar you eat, feel free - be loud and proud. Like I said, I don't really give a **** about what other people eat. I care what I eat. I may brag, but it won't be over anything in my freezer.

Huh...I thought that's what your first post was about.

"What I find most amusing about the sugar threads and the sugar thread addicts is looking at people's diaries. With the exception of the chick who eats candy for breakfast, the vast majority of the people who refute sugar is a problem, aren't actually eating it"
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I am not interested in quibbling over how much or how little sugar people eat or don't eat

Dude your first post in this thread was specifically about how much or how little sugar people eat.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Sure does seem like you care.

I have plenty to brag about. Today it's ice cream. Tomorrow? The skies the limit!!!
    [/quote]

I am quite sure you do. And who doesn't admire a freezer full of ice cream? Seriously
  • RivenV
    Options
    snip

Whenever you post a JLaw gif, I totally skip the text and just watch her do the same thing a hundred times in a row.

Testing this theory.

659.gif
    The McDouble Down is an abomination of nature.
    82e.gif
  • RivenV
    Options
    . I'm a spaz. Here's some more Jlaw.
    e54.gif

Sorry for the confusion.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What I find most amusing about the the sugar threads and the sugar thread addicts is looking at people's diaries. With the exception of the chick who eats candy for breakfast, the vast majority of the people who refute sugar is a problem, aren't actually eating it. Oh, I know there is the occasional small piece of candy, the quarter cup of ice cream, small portion of rice pudding, but on balance, they eat good food. Balanced diets without a lot of junk - even 1200 calorie diets! Now, before I get blasted, I have a life (at least I try). I could only look at so many diaries and a couple days each. Props to the guy who was in for a bowl of ice cream. He actually ate a bowl of ice cream.

If you feel you are the exception to the above generalization - I am sure you are and preemptively believe you.

Aren't actually eating it, or are eating it in moderation?

3EGP6.gif

What kind of lunatic wants a moderate amount of ice cream? Great, 200 calories of ice cream. A whole 1/4 of a pint. That really hit the spot. Yawn.

See that's the problem. Who wants a 1/4 cup. If you look at the container on the Ben & Jerry's ice cream that is a serving size. And most are around 300 calories. So by your logic it doesn't count if I don't eat the whole thing?

And yes that does satisfy me. You know why? Because I can have 1/4 cup today, and tomorrow and the next day.

And in case you think I'm talking some bs here is my freezer. I won't even show you my Count Chocula and Pop Tart closet.

20131004_221731_zps005c5712.jpg

So you're mentioning how a 1/4 cup of ice cream is a serving, and you have 8 pints of B&J's in your freezer?

Do you have your groceries airlifted to you?