The Skinny on Obesity (or: "Calories are not created equal")

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

if you drink 14 12 oz bottle a day for a year yes you will get Cancer the Rats provided that information BUT...

if you are human and drink that much

1 your body can not process that much fluid in a day..

2 in a week your lungs will fill with fluid and you will drowned from the extra water..

so on the bottom like your body will kill you with water that it can not dump out of you as fast as you can drink it..

You can't process 48 oz of fluid per day? (i drink way more then that!) and I spend about half my day in the bathroom. LOL

I'm not a soda advocate.. but apparently I am going to drown due to fluid intake.

Feel bad for the soda drinkers..

(ok I read that as 4 12 oz bottles... 14 makes a bit more sense, that's a ridiculous amount of fluid.. LOL)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    There have been dozens of threads about this. Personally, I believe it, but it doesn't change anything for me. I still need to eat my 'junk' food or I'd never stick to any kind of 'diet'. If it means I lose 1 less lb every 2 months, I couldn't care less.

Exactly! Ice cream, cookies, cake.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What I find most amusing about the the sugar threads and the sugar thread addicts is looking at people's diaries. With the exception of the chick who eats candy for breakfast, the vast majority of the people who refute sugar is a problem, aren't actually eating it. Oh, I know there is the occasional small piece of candy, the quarter cup of ice cream, small portion of rice pudding, but on balance, they eat good food. Balanced diets without a lot of junk - even 1200 calorie diets! Now, before I get blasted, I have a life (at least I try). I could only look at so many diaries and a couple days each. Props to the guy who was in for a bowl of ice cream. He actually ate a bowl of ice cream.

If you feel you are the exception to the above generalization - I am sure you are and preemptively believe you.

I feel like this is an odd statement considering I know for a fact half these people are over their sugar "goal" daily. Also consider my diary: at least a half cup of ice cream or geleto nightly (who eats a quarter cup. So unsatisfying.) Usually with cookies or brownies or cake or some nutella on top.

I wonder which diaries you actually looked at.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    In...

...because I just can't help myself around sugar threads.

seems%20legit.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What I find most amusing about the the sugar threads and the sugar thread addicts is looking at people's diaries. With the exception of the chick who eats candy for breakfast, the vast majority of the people who refute sugar is a problem, aren't actually eating it. Oh, I know there is the occasional small piece of candy, the quarter cup of ice cream, small portion of rice pudding, but on balance, they eat good food. Balanced diets without a lot of junk - even 1200 calorie diets! Now, before I get blasted, I have a life (at least I try). I could only look at so many diaries and a couple days each. Props to the guy who was in for a bowl of ice cream. He actually ate a bowl of ice cream.

If you feel you are the exception to the above generalization - I am sure you are and preemptively believe you.

I feel like this is an odd statement considering I know for a fact half these people are over their sugar "goal" daily. Also consider my diary: at least a half cup of ice cream or geleto nightly (who eats a quarter cup. So unsatisfying.) Usually with cookies or brownies or cake or some nutella on top.

I'm only rarely over my sugar goal. Days that I do go over are great successes.

Of course, my sugar goal is 160 grams.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    SMDH...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I don't mess with the sugar numbers. It defaults to whatever MFP decides.. which is so low. I watch it just because I know what added sugar does to me. But i'm not worried about staying under the goal. I wouldn't know what to change it too anyway.

This is what I go by.. "1 teaspoon of sugar is 4 grams. Current recommendations are for no more than 6-8 teaspoons of added sugars each day, that is 16-32 grams per day of sweeteners."
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I recently tweaked my goals, which put sugar back at its default. A check on the app tells me I'm only 12 grams over for the week, which is actually pretty amazing for me.

I must be off my game.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I don't mess with the sugar numbers. It defaults to whatever MFP decides.. which is so low. I watch it just because I know what added sugar does to me. But i'm not worried about staying under the goal. I wouldn't know what to change it too anyway.

This is what I go by.. "1 teaspoon of sugar is 4 grams. Current recommendations are for no more than 6-8 teaspoons of added sugars each day, that is 16-32 grams per day of sweeteners."

And remind me, what is that?
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    OMG, that is hilarious. YES, the right TWIX is the evil one. :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

And remind me, what is that?

I read that line, and almost posted a response to it. Then didn't. I'm glad someone did, though.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

I skipped lunch yesterday and went for a walk so I could eat a big bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce. Sugar rocks my world. :-D
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this epic fail propaganda thread?

IN!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

FYI.

sugar2.png

vader-impressive.jpg
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    People are so rude! wow, why can't someone post something and not get all of the sarcasm and speculation. if you aren't interested just don't post it...even if it's alreay in the threads 1000 times you don't have to be rude.

OP, thanks for sharing, I have not seen this yet
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

if you drink 14 12 oz bottle a day for a year yes you will get Cancer the Rats provided that information BUT...

if you are human and drink that much

1 your body can not process that much fluid in a day..

2 in a week your lungs will fill with fluid and you will drowned from the extra water..

so on the bottom like your body will kill you with water that it can not dump out of you as fast as you can drink it..

WHAT?! Where in the world did you pull this information from? Do you even think about what you're typing?

14 * 12 = 168 oz

EVERY day this is the minimum I drink and have for over two years

Water: 19 8 oz cups a day 19*8 = 152 oz
    Soda: 4-5 (we'll say 4) 12 oz diet sodas 4*12 = 48 oz
    Coffee: 4-6 (we'll say 5) 5 oz cups 5*5 = 25 oz

Add that together and that's 225 oz of liquid on top of anything ingested from food. Sometimes I even drink more than that. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I don't eat a ton of sugar and eat a pretty nutrient dense and balanced diet...it has nothing to do with some irrational fear of sugar...it has everything to do with the fact that I'd rather spend my calories elsewhere...I'm much more of a "savory" than a "sweet" kinda guy. I can eat meat for dessert and absolutely feel awesome about it. But I don't have some kind of irrational fear of sugar...I eat it when I want to eat it...if I want a soda, I have a soda...if i want to steel my kids fruit snacks, I steel my kid's fruit snacks...

Also, I drink beer...which is where most of my sugar intake comes from...delicious, delicious beer.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    People are so rude! wow, why can't someone post something and not get all of the sarcasm and speculation. if you aren't interested just don't post it...even if it's alreay in the threads 1000 times you don't have to be rude.

OP, thanks for sharing, I have not seen this yet

It's not rude to disprove inaccurate information. We ARE interested and we DO post because we don't want bad information getting passed around to people who don't know the real science behind weight loss. And I wouldn't really call it speculation. It's science.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    OR0L5Tk.png