The Skinny on Obesity (or: "Calories are not created equal")

Options

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I actually just watched this.

While I think a lot of the science presented is valid, it doesn't take in to account individual choices. It is an insipid and defeatist view of the world that we are all mindless drones incapable of making our own choices with respect to lifestyle and that we are all slaves to the corporate empires that shovel us unhealthy foods.

Calories ARE equal. A calorie is a unit of energy.

The effect of certain foods on hormones and behaviour is also real, but it doesn't change the physics of energy.

The simple fact remains that despite their predetermined physiology, every person has the ability to make a choice and regulate their own caloric intake and levels of activity.

To say that sugar is evil achieves absolutely nothing - it provides no answer, no solution.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    batman_om_nom_nom_nom.gif
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Let's make it about Bronies!

hC0EC7891

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Est3UNs-LIk
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar everyday....I am fat as f**k srs
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    OP, you need to understand that regardless of any potential issues with sugar consumption (or fat, etc., pick your "poison"), it simply isn't practical to expect individuals to eliminate this from their diet.

Many on here have struggled with weight issues for their whole life, and there is no way that something as enjoyable as sugar would be sacrificed (especially for those who are highly susceptible to food gratification, which most here are).

You're fighting a losing battle.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    This is why I only eat the left twix. The right twix calories cause cancer of the diabeetus.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    mmmNO
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    OP, there are some people that are so deeply rooted in their beliefs that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie and weight loss is simply "calories in vs. calories out" that they won't just to skip over this post, but instead will make a complete mockery of it. I didn't watch the video. No need to. I understand that the food we eat has a profound effect on our hormones, inflammation, metabolism...etc. without any consideration to "calories." I hope you weren't expecting to have an intelligent conversation on this subject, because it won't happen here, unfortunately.

I'm guessing you are a hoot at the snack buffet at parties, domonating the veggie tray while the ranch dip just sits there, unloved like a red-headed step child...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    OP, there are some people that are so deeply rooted in their beliefs that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie and weight loss is simply "calories in vs. calories out" that they won't just to skip over this post, but instead will make a complete mockery of it. I didn't watch the video. No need to. I understand that the food we eat has a profound effect on our hormones, inflammation, metabolism...etc. without any consideration to "calories." I hope you weren't expecting to have an intelligent conversation on this subject, because it won't happen here, unfortunately.

I'm guessing you are a hoot at the snack buffet at parties, domonating the veggie tray while the ranch dip just sits there, unloved like a red-headed step child...

Wait . . . I'm a red headed step child . . . what are you trying to say about me?!?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you want something more legit, read this article about calorie partitioning, or Partitioning ratio. It explains why a person genetically gifted with a favorable P-ratio will burn more calories from fat than muscle when in a deficit and add more calories in muscle than fat when assuming a surplus. Someone with a less favorable P-ratio will experience the opposite in both scenarios.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/calorie-partitioning-part-1.html

Interesting read-- thanks for posting!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Good post.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those who warn me of the dire sarcasm *shudder* that would follow. I expected it. *yawn*

I posted it for those people who are like me, scouring these forums for actual information based in science. I knew that it would be buried in ponies and unicorns, but figured that others out there looking for this information would still see it, so that accomplishes my goal. You can play word games with the facts, but they remain facts.

I actually enjoy(ed) reading the 'backlash' banter ... it's kind of like watching Fox News. :drinker:

You are all Special Snowflakes in my book! :heart:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...because I just can't help myself around sugar threads.
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    There is so much to be said about weight loss. As for the sugar part of it, that can be a difficult part for many. It's not just sugary foods, white sugar. It's in a lot of foods, fruits too. Your body breaks down carbs into sugar. Which is also why people like the no carb diet. It's not just the carbs you are cutting out, but the sugar that your body has turned the carbs into. There are so many complicated things when it comes to figuring out the body and how it works. Just about everything is linked together. Taking away from one thing effects another and another so on and so on. So in a way not all calories are created equal. To deprive yourself of no sugar or no carbs can in turn hurt you in another way. It's finding the balance to it all that is key to weight loss and living healthy. There is no way in HELLo that I am giving up sugar. Cut back maybe, but give it up nope, nada, not gonna happen. Not all calories are created equal and yes some will benefit the body better than others, DUH. My slice of lemon meringue pie doesn't have the same vitamins or minerals as the bowl of fruit that is next to it. Both have calories and tons of sugar. Its all about choices.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    um yeah...

Thinking the OP feels like:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15027-1381259015-63.gif

These threads never go well.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar everyday....I am fat as f**k srs

:O!
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm so addicted to sugar (threads).
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    God man good thing I just ate all the puddin!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those who warn me of the dire sarcasm *shudder* that would follow. I expected it. *yawn*

I posted it for those people who are like me, scouring these forums for actual information based in science. I knew that it would be buried in ponies and unicorns, but figured that others out there looking for this information would still see it, so that accomplishes my goal. You can play word games with the facts, but they remain facts.

I actually enjoy(ed) reading the 'backlash' banter ... it's kind of like watching Fox News. :drinker:

funny what you believe are facts
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options

The reason people are responding with derision is because what you linked is absolute horse****, it's pseudo-science and any studies done by people who actually know what they're talking about (see: actual nutritionists and dietary scientists) will completely and utterly disagree with the fear mongering. If your diet is otherwise healthy, you do not have to worry about sugar, if you are a lifter, someone who runs, or someone who engages in any sort of mild activity, sugar is a necessary part of your diet, processed sugars will not overly hamper you unless you eat them in excess and this goes for nearly everything. Your body needs sugar like it needs nearly every other kind of food, like fat, or protein, or even sodium, or carbs (those last two are another pair that is constantly hounded by idiots who have no idea what they're talking about).

Look at your sources, don't look at random worthless videos and base your ignorant opinions off of those, go to websites that actually understand what's going on, or take a class on nutrition done by someone with actual credentials, I'll guarantee you that your viewpoint regarding crap like this will change instantly.