The Skinny on Obesity (or: "Calories are not created equal")

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those who warn me of the dire sarcasm *shudder* that would follow. I expected it. *yawn*

I posted it for those people who are like me, scouring these forums for actual information based in science. I knew that it would be buried in ponies and unicorns, but figured that others out there looking for this information would still see it, so that accomplishes my goal. You can play word games with the facts, but they remain facts.

I actually enjoy(ed) reading the 'backlash' banter ... it's kind of like watching Fox News. :drinker:

You are all Special Snowflakes in my book! :heart:
    funny what you believe are facts

MFP Logical Property #3: I believe it, thus it is a fact. If you won't agree or show up with some proof of otherwise you work for big food/lack the will power to eat clean and/or cut out what it is I'm talking about/are a meanie head.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in....for the show...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ohnoes-4270.jpg

^ this is awesome! LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options
    now we just need the "my buddy" guy to show up ...and we will have the whole "sugar is evil" crew together...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP, there are some people that are so deeply rooted in their beliefs that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie and weight loss is simply "calories in vs. calories out" that they won't just to skip over this post, but instead will make a complete mockery of it. I didn't watch the video. No need to. I understand that the food we eat has a profound effect on our hormones, inflammation, metabolism...etc. without any consideration to "calories." I hope you weren't expecting to have an intelligent conversation on this subject, because it won't happen here, unfortunately.

so if a calorie is not a calorie you are saying I can eat 1000 cals over maintenance a day and still lose weight????? heads for dunkin donuts to get four blueberry muffins and a dozen donuts....
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Tell me more, tell me more... like does he have a car??
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    in....for the show...

http://youtu.be/IwSTe9uit48
  • ndj1979
    Options
    In...

...because I just can't help myself around sugar threads.

bro you are totally addicted...!!! we need to have an intervention and get you into Sugar Thread Anonymous...or STA .....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In to read tomorrow and see where this crazy train is headed.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The youtubes are scientific research now?
    I guess, if you take your cues from internet research scientists like Jenny McCarthy...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks for those who warn me of the dire sarcasm *shudder* that would follow. I expected it. *yawn*

I posted it for those people who are like me, scouring these forums for actual information based in science. I knew that it would be buried in ponies and unicorns, but figured that others out there looking for this information would still see it, so that accomplishes my goal. You can play word games with the facts, but they remain facts.

I actually enjoy(ed) reading the 'backlash' banter ... it's kind of like watching Fox News. :drinker:

only in MFP land can "fact" be someones "opinion"...I wish I could live in that world, where everything I say is fact....

oh and *yawns* at this topic, as it is only about the millionth thread on this topic....but hey, originality and facts seem to be OP's specialty...
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There have been dozens of threads about this. Personally, I believe it, but it doesn't change anything for me. I still need to eat my 'junk' food or I'd never stick to any kind of 'diet'. If it means I lose 1 less lb every 2 months, I couldn't care less.

Thank you for saying "couldn't care less" instead of the ever-popular (and incorrect) "could care less". :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    Wow, OP, you are getting attacked big time...and I don't think it's fair. I agree with you that different calories have a different affect on me and my weight loss. It's a lot easier for me to eat a normal (for me) # of calories when I eat whole foods. Actually, one of the primary changes I made that jump started me on my road to weight loss was to start having oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. Before I would usually have cereal, or pancakes+syrup, and while neither typical unhealthy food, I found oatmeal to keep me more full for longer. Pretty sweet tool to have while losing weight.
    I also found that going to no sugar made me crave it less (after a while), and again, eating less calories became easier. Hope you can read through all the pony garbage, and just see a post for riding your original topic. (sorry, couldn't resist getting on that horse too. :oD )

Have a good day!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The youtubes are scientific research now?
    I guess, if you take your cues from internet research scientists like Jenny McCarthy...

"On the Internet" is synonymous with "trufax." Everyone knows this.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I knew that it would be buried in ponies and unicorns, but figured that others out there looking for this information would still see it, so that accomplishes my goal.

Yeah but the responses in the thread (which most reasonable people would also read) contradict the OP so you really didn't accomplish anything.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    In to read tomorrow and see where this crazy train is headed.

this train is headed straight to sugar land! Oh yeaaaaaaaaa LOL

Actually, derail city is about ten miles ahead on the left....
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Wow, OP, you are getting attacked big time...and I don't think it's fair. I agree with you that different calories have a different affect on me and my weight loss. It's a lot easier for me to eat a normal (for me) # of calories when I eat whole foods. Actually, one of the primary changes I made that jump started me on my road to weight loss was to start having oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. Before I would usually have cereal, or pancakes+syrup, and while neither typical unhealthy food, I found oatmeal to keep me more full for longer. Pretty sweet tool to have while losing weight.
    I also found that going to no sugar made me crave it less (after a while), and again, eating less calories became easier. Hope you can read through all the pony garbage, and just see a post for riding your original topic. (sorry, couldn't resist getting on that horse too. :oD )

Have a good day!

I often feel like people who tlak about how the only way they can adhere to their diet/eat the right number of calories is by eating 'whole' food (Which always seems to mean high volume+low calorie) are eating a frightfully low amount.

That's just my opinion thought. Even though I said it on the internet it's not a fact.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

Somebody get Godwin on the phone! I think we've discovered a possible expansion to his law!

(That said, I have nothing meaningful to contribute to the scientific veracity of either side of the issue. I'm sure solid arguments will be presented on both sides though. Carry on good people.)