The Skinny on Obesity (or: "Calories are not created equal")

Options
Quieau
Quieau Posts: 428 Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKxfImHkFI

Documentary mini-series on the dangers of sugar, the Industrial Age diet and how it impacts y/our struggle with weight.

NOTE: While a calorie may be a calorie in terms of energy burn, there are a LOT of other variables like how they burn and their impact on the rest of the body (and its systems) that make some calories a much better choice than others. For those who wonder, here's why.

Replies

• aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Oh, Lord.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There have been dozens of threads about this. Personally, I believe it, but it doesn't change anything for me. I still need to eat my 'junk' food or I'd never stick to any kind of 'diet'. If it means I lose 1 less lb every 2 months, I couldn't care less.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mghc4yYxaK1ry10fwo1_400.gif
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This thread is now about Ponies.

Applejack_So_Much_pony.gif
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    tumblr_movyecziBC1sqjm6do1_500.gif
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Yawn
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ohnoes-4270.jpg
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I much prefer ponies :)
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKxfImHkFI

Documentary mini-series on the dangers of sugar, the Industrial Age diet and how it impacts y/our struggle with weight.

NOTE: While a calorie may be a calorie in terms of energy burn, there are a LOT of other variables like how they burn and their impact on the rest of the body (and its systems) that make some calories a much better choice than others. For those who wonder, here's why.

The only danger of sugar is that if I don't get some every day in a very tasty way, someone is going to get hurt. Jus' sayin'.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    OP, there are some people that are so deeply rooted in their beliefs that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie and weight loss is simply "calories in vs. calories out" that they won't just to skip over this post, but instead will make a complete mockery of it. I didn't watch the video. No need to. I understand that the food we eat has a profound effect on our hormones, inflammation, metabolism...etc. without any consideration to "calories." I hope you weren't expecting to have an intelligent conversation on this subject, because it won't happen here, unfortunately.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you want something more legit, read this article about calorie partitioning, or Partitioning ratio. It explains why a person genetically gifted with a favorable P-ratio will burn more calories from fat than muscle when in a deficit and add more calories in muscle than fat when assuming a surplus. Someone with a less favorable P-ratio will experience the opposite in both scenarios.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/calorie-partitioning-part-1.html
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP, you can try the search utility to look for previous discussions. This thread will soon take off like a runaway train, so hang on tight. LOL

wbzd7c.jpg
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    There have been dozens of threads about this. Personally, I believe it, but it doesn't change anything for me. I still need to eat my 'junk' food or I'd never stick to any kind of 'diet'. If it means I lose 1 less lb every 2 months, I couldn't care less.
    :drinker: Ditto.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options

What's the scientific, official, conclusive definition of "junk food?" :)
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    In. For ponies.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This probably will not end well.....
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Calories are simply a unit of measurement... so of course they're equal. Otherwise, physics must be a huge hoax.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Calories are simply a unit of measurement... so of course they're equal. Otherwise, physics must be a huge hoax.

ssssshhhhhhhhh!

Don't let them in on it. Next you will be telling them all that the Hadron Collider was actually an experiment to manipulate energy to create negative calorie foods. I've said too much...
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

qft! calories are a measure of heat, the amount of heat to raise a gram of water one degree in Celsius degrees (freshmen chemistry).
    Nutritional value is a different matter, of course.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Bump