The Skinny on Obesity (or: "Calories are not created equal")

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I don't mess with the sugar numbers. It defaults to whatever MFP decides.. which is so low. I watch it just because I know what added sugar does to me. But i'm not worried about staying under the goal. I wouldn't know what to change it too anyway.

This is what I go by.. "1 teaspoon of sugar is 4 grams. Current recommendations are for no more than 6-8 teaspoons of added sugars each day, that is 16-32 grams per day of sweeteners."

And remind me, what is that?

I read that line, and almost posted a response to it. Then didn't. I'm glad someone did, though.

It makes me crave sugar

It makes me feel bad

It assists in my not losing (not necessarily gaining either though)

It interferes with my sleep patterns.

I actually get headaches and irritable from eating too much sugar. And then more-so when I stop again.

I didn't grow up eating a lot of sugary foods, so I don't really like them either.

I actually do believe it is not good for a person to consume a lot of added sugar, but do not care if you believe it or not.

Hence why I said *what it does to me* Not what it does to everyone.

mmmkay?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    That's like saying it's the grocery store's fault for putting the candy bars right next to the cash registers.
    But the location is their fault. I didn't choose to put it there.. the store owners did. Of course they aren't forcing me to put it in my basket.. but when I worked retail we had a saying. "You could put lint on the cart rail and people will buy it" So it's totally a marketing strategy and it works. :)

I'm not sure it's the responsibility of food manufacturers to not add sugar to stuff.
    sugar sells. I cant' believe how many of my friends didn't like my spaghetti sauce. and then when I added some sugar to it and served them the same sauce they loved it. Sad really. We have to mask the taste of our foods. And that did start with the large companies trying to sell more. Give them sugar and they are hooked. Not this person, but lots of people. Hence why headaches occur when you stop consuming added sugars. Thankfully they only last a few days before your body adjusts.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I asked WHY do they put it in there in the first place? I, personally don't find it any tastier with or without it. I do think it makes it more difficult for those who limit their sugar intake (because of health issues or whatever reason) to do so. I'd much rather have a piece of chocolate than have extra sugar in my spaghetti sauce. I'd really rather have a spoonful of honey :love:

This may come as a shock to you, but you are not everyone. The big pasta sauce manufacturers do a lot of focus groups and comparison testing. They add the sugar because people like it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    That's like saying it's the grocery store's fault for putting the candy bars right next to the cash registers.
    But the location is their fault. I didn't choose to put it there.. the store owners did. Of course they aren't forcing me to put it in my basket.. but when I worked retail we had a saying. "You could but lint on the cart rail and people will buy it" So it's totally a marketing strategy and it works. :)

Agreed that it is totally a marketing strategy and it works. I guess I should have said it's like saying it's the grocery store's fault that I'm fat because they line the cash registers with candy.

Edited for bad grammar. Yuck.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    I'm still going to get fattie foods to lose weight =)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I asked WHY do they put it in there in the first place?

This is why:
    I cant' believe how many of my friends didn't like my spaghetti sauce. and then when I added some sugar to it and served them the same sauce they loved it.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Sugar is delicious. Lack of willpower isn't a good excuse to demonize it.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's the responsibility of food manufacturers to not add sugar to stuff.
    sugar sells. I cant' believe how many of my friends didn't like my spaghetti sauce. and then when I added some sugar to it and served them the same sauce they loved it. Sad really. We have to mask the taste of our foods. And that did start with the large companies trying to sell more. Give them sugar and they are hooked. Not this person, but lots of people. Hence why headaches occur when you stop consuming added sugars. Thankfully they only last a few days before your body adjusts.
    [/quote]

Many people don't like the acidity of cooked tomatoes. It actually is as simple as flavor for many people, so sauting sweet onions before adding the tomatoes may help. With canned goods i can't imagine the flavor would be the same so they add sugar. Would you keep making things that don't sell?_
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    people didnt get diabetic from eating berries and apples

It take 8 feet of sugar cane, imagine chewing on that , to get the equivalent amt. of sugar of one can of soda

ahhh yes the "fruit sugar is good " argument but "soda sugar" is bad argument...tried and tested as absolute garbage...

I don't think it's that some sugar is "good" while others are "bad". I think it's more of it's a lot harder to eat too much sugar from fruit than it is to eat too much sugar from oreos & snickers bars. Also, it IS a little frustrating that sugar is added to so many foods unnecessarily. For example, look at spaghetti sauces next time you're in the grocery store. You'll have a hard time finding one without sugar added. If you make your own without sugar in it, or find a jar that doesn't have sugar added, you'll find that it tastes just fine without the sugar added. So... WHY do so many food producers add it? Tomatoes have enough sugar in them to make the sauce sweet, it's totally unnecessary. Again, I didn't watch the video (although I've seen parts of it in the past), I'm sure it takes the whole sugar thing to the extreme, but that doesn't discount the fact that sugar consumption is a bit out of control these days and it won't hurt the majority of people to make an effort to cut back on their sugar consumption.

I'm not sure it's the responsibility of food manufacturers to not add sugar to stuff. That's like saying it's the grocery store's fault for putting the candy bars right next to the cash registers.

I didn't question who's responsibility it is, I asked WHY do they put it in there in the first place? I, personally don't find it any tastier with or without it. I do think it makes it more difficult for those who limit their sugar intake (because of health issues or whatever reason) to do so. I'd much rather have a piece of chocolate than have extra sugar in my spaghetti sauce. I'd really rather have a spoonful of honey :love:

would you buy spaghetti sauce that tasted like crap? Some people like to add sugar to their sauce some do not. I am northern Italian and we typically do not do it that way, but southern Italians do ..it is a matter of personal preference not some global conspiracy...

I personally prefer to make my own, but that is just me...
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I asked WHY do they put it in there in the first place? I, personally don't find it any tastier with or without it. I do think it makes it more difficult for those who limit their sugar intake (because of health issues or whatever reason) to do so. I'd much rather have a piece of chocolate than have extra sugar in my spaghetti sauce. I'd really rather have a spoonful of honey :love:

This may come as a shock to you, but you are not everyone. The big pasta sauce manufacturers do a lot of focus groups and comparison testing. They add the sugar because people like it.

This is not a shock to me. I am fully aware that everyone is different and preferences are vast. I guess I just have sympathy for those who's health depends on keeping their sugar consumption low because it's added to nearly everything. Pickles, dressings, sauces...etc. For those who need to keep their sugar intake to a minimum, I'm sure they'd rather not waste it on those things. I'm willing to bet they'd rather enjoy some ice cream or something that's meant to be sugary in the first place.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The American Journal of Nutrition appears to disagree with you.

Study: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/899S.full

Actually, this study doesn't appear to refute anything stated explicitly in the video. We're not just talking about thermogenesis, but a bunch of OTHER biological processes in the body as well. Please note, excerpted from the abstract of the study you linked,

"Further research on differences in the composition of weight loss and on the influence of satiety on compliance with energy-restricted diets is needed to explain the observed increase in weight loss with diets high in protein and/or low in carbohydrate."

And I don't recall the narrators ever saying once that sugar is inherently evil in all its forms.

The two information sources are not mutually exclusive in their contentions.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKxfImHkFI

Documentary mini-series on the dangers of sugar, the Industrial Age diet and how it impacts y/our struggle with weight.

NOTE: While a calorie may be a calorie in terms of energy burn, there are a LOT of other variables like how they burn and their impact on the rest of the body (and its systems) that make some calories a much better choice than others. For those who wonder, here's why.

Posting any information in the general forums, that even remotely suggests that the quality of food we ingest affects our body/health, is futile. Because huge percentage of the people here (at least the ones that bother commenting) can't follow the logic that the human body is a complex system and that WHAT we eat does affect how our body operates. The answer to anything and everything is merely the simplistic "calories in/calories out" and those of us that report health improvements by changing WHAT we eat are completely ridiculed, even though there are so many of us reporting the same experience that many doctors can no longer ignore it. I suspect that it's because most of the "calories in/calories out/eat anything/avoid fat crowd are so malnourished that their brains are just no longer functioning optimally. I just can't follow the "logic" that what we eat does NOT affect health. Besides that my own real life experience blows that theory to shreds; as well as the multi-generational experiences of the many aboriginal groups that I have lived amongst.

Everything you post here is completely contrary to fact.

NO ONE says that calories are all that matter. NO ONE.

A ton of people here say that NUTRIENTS matter. It's not whether something is "refined" or "clean" or "dirty" or "processed" or "natural." What matters is the nutrients you provide your body.

You know the drill...those who believe that CICO is the principal/primary driver in weight gain/loss automatically believe that the nutrient quality of the food is irrelevant. Don't bother correcting that...because everyone *knows* it to be true...

...because strawmen are easier (and more fun) to tear down.

Edit: because homonym abuse must stop.

here, I found this for you:

exposestraw.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    people didnt get diabetic from eating berries and apples

It take 8 feet of sugar cane, imagine chewing on that , to get the equivalent amt. of sugar of one can of soda

ahhh yes the "fruit sugar is good " argument but "soda sugar" is bad argument...tried and tested as absolute garbage...

I don't think it's that some sugar is "good" while others are "bad". I think it's more of it's a lot harder to eat too much sugar from fruit than it is to eat too much sugar from oreos & snickers bars. Also, it IS a little frustrating that sugar is added to so many foods unnecessarily. For example, look at spaghetti sauces next time you're in the grocery store. You'll have a hard time finding one without sugar added. If you make your own without sugar in it, or find a jar that doesn't have sugar added, you'll find that it tastes just fine without the sugar added. So... WHY do so many food producers add it? Tomatoes have enough sugar in them to make the sauce sweet, it's totally unnecessary. Again, I didn't watch the video (although I've seen parts of it in the past), I'm sure it takes the whole sugar thing to the extreme, but that doesn't discount the fact that sugar consumption is a bit out of control these days and it won't hurt the majority of people to make an effort to cut back on their sugar consumption.

I'm not sure it's the responsibility of food manufacturers to not add sugar to stuff. That's like saying it's the grocery store's fault for putting the candy bars right next to the cash registers.

I didn't question who's responsibility it is, I asked WHY do they put it in there in the first place? I, personally don't find it any tastier with or without it. I do think it makes it more difficult for those who limit their sugar intake (because of health issues or whatever reason) to do so. I'd much rather have a piece of chocolate than have extra sugar in my spaghetti sauce. I'd really rather have a spoonful of honey :love:

Besides all the other answers above, my main point was that even if the taste is the same with or without sugar, food manufacturers aren't going to have some grand enlightenment and decide to not add sugar because it would be better for their customers' health. If people want to monitor sugar or not have added sugar, they can make their own foods and avoid the candy aisle. That doesn't make sugar a demon.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

Many people don't like the acidity of cooked tomatoes. It actually is as simple as flavor for many people, so sauting sweet onions before adding the tomatoes may help. With canned goods i can't imagine the flavor would be the same so they add sugar. Would you keep making things that don't sell?_
    [/quote]

I saute the peppers, garlic, onions and mushrooms. I add more garlic too. I also use fresh herbs and a little more water then most recipes call for. I don't taste the acidity and my family love the recipe. I know real Italian chefs add a pinch of sugar to their sauces to cut the acidity out but I had to add a tablespoon or two before they liked it. That's what sad. No sauce should need that much sugar. My mother did sell this sauce for awhile and it sold well. I use her exact recipe.

You can caramelize the onions too.. but the same as adding sugar to them.

I know a few chefs who put sugar on their dishes at restaurants so patrons will like the food and come back. Even dishes described as healthy, low cal, good for diabetics, weight watcher friendly, etc.... That's why i always overestimate when I go out to eat. You never know what little tricks they employ to create repeat customers.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What I find most amusing about the the sugar threads and the sugar thread addicts is looking at people's diaries. With the exception of the chick who eats candy for breakfast, the vast majority of the people who refute sugar is a problem, aren't actually eating it. Oh, I know there is the occasional small piece of candy, the quarter cup of ice cream, small portion of rice pudding, but on balance, they eat good food. Balanced diets without a lot of junk - even 1200 calorie diets! Now, before I get blasted, I have a life (at least I try). I could only look at so many diaries and a couple days each. Props to the guy who was in for a bowl of ice cream. He actually ate a bowl of ice cream.

If you feel you are the exception to the above generalization - I am sure you are and preemptively believe you.

Aren't actually eating it, or are eating it in moderation?

3EGP6.gif
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    What I find most amusing about the the sugar threads and the sugar thread addicts is looking at people's diaries. With the exception of the chick who eats candy for breakfast, the vast majority of the people who refute sugar is a problem, aren't actually eating it. Oh, I know there is the occasional small piece of candy, the quarter cup of ice cream, small portion of rice pudding, but on balance, they eat good food. Balanced diets without a lot of junk - even 1200 calorie diets! Now, before I get blasted, I have a life (at least I try). I could only look at so many diaries and a couple days each. Props to the guy who was in for a bowl of ice cream. He actually ate a bowl of ice cream.

If you feel you are the exception to the above generalization - I am sure you are and preemptively believe you.

3EGP6.gif

Exactly!
    [/thread]
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    TL:DW

There better be the Jennifer Lawrence gif in here
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options

3EGP6.gif

What kind of lunatic wants a moderate amount of ice cream? Great, 200 calories of ice cream. A whole 1/4 of a pint. That really hit the spot. Yawn.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Sugar is a flavor enhancer, just like salt is. Not a 'masker'. People get used to less flavorful food, true. But just because some aren't used to the same food you are, doesn't mean that sugar or salt have some woowoo powers to draw people to them. They just make stuff more savory.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

3EGP6.gif

What kind of lunatic wants a moderate amount of ice cream? Great, 200 calories of ice cream. A whole 1/4 of a pint. That really hit the spot. Yawn.

Yep, pretty much what I didn't say.....but good one.