The Skinny on Obesity (or: "Calories are not created equal")

Options
167891012»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    *sigh* How about this? I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe and we all go on our merry way? I never said anyone else should or should not do anything else. In *my* world added sugar is not a friend. I never tried to claim anything else.

All i know.. is if I eat added sugar I feel like crap, i can't sleep and I get a headache. I also crave more sugar. So.. I cut as much of it out as I can. That doesn't happen when it's sugar from fruit. And yes.. those 2 cookies i had last week.. (or whenever that was) gave me a headache. If it doesn't do that for you. Then good for you. I will maintain my belief that added sugar is bad, esp in the quantity most people get it in. (since it's in pretty much everything you don't make yourself). You can maintain whatever you want.

And no.. not pre-diabetic, diabetic or anything. I get tested for it often because diabetes runs in my family.

I was not trying to "diary shame" you..just pointing out you eat added sugar...which based on what I can see is a relatively new thing since you probably just started the 17 day diet...if that is why...know this...c3 and c4 add in other foods and maitenance says...and I am quoting from the book...

"on the weekends eat 4 of your favorite meals"...doesn't matter if it's brown sugar pork chops or a hot fudge sunday...even the author knows it is not reasonable to expect people to reject the food they like and/or love to eat...as it is not sustainable .

yep. it's a constant struggle. i don't always realize what i'm eating has the added sugar in it until it's too late and i had cut out most of it prior to the 17 day diet. I only started it, because it is chock full of the food I already eat, so fairly easy to follow. I'm aware of what the author says. that does not mean that I am going to eat those foods or that i would even want to. I don't eat enough.. i think that's where the unhealthy choice came from the other day. I was starving and needed something quick, so i grabbed those stupid bars and the cookies (did it twice actually if i remember right) My son is currently bulking so he needs all that stuff in the house or I wouldn't even have it.

Prepackaged/high-sugar foods are required for a bulk?

And yet you acknowledged that you yourself aren't eating enough calories.

Might I suggest that you eat more prepackaged/high-sugar foods to hit your calorie totals?

Perhaps you missed the fact that sugar causes her issues (e.g. headaches).

Although with these forums, I'm starting to think it's intentional.

I missed where she said the quantity of sugar she consumed in the form of these bars (accidentally, that is) caused her headaches. I didn't assume that her general reference to sugar causing headaches applied to this specific instance as you did. (Interesting that the first bar apparently didn't cause a problem for her as she then consumed a second bar before realizing it had sugar.)

I'll admit, I'm still suspicious of sugar causing headaches at all, so perhaps that lead me to look past it to the more obvious points I made above.

Nonetheless, I would like to thank you for standing up on her behalf. I'm sure she appreciates it.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    *sigh* How about this? I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe and we all go on our merry way? I never said anyone else should or should not do anything else. In *my* world added sugar is not a friend. I never tried to claim anything else.

All i know.. is if I eat added sugar I feel like crap, i can't sleep and I get a headache. I also crave more sugar. So.. I cut as much of it out as I can. That doesn't happen when it's sugar from fruit. And yes.. those 2 cookies i had last week.. (or whenever that was) gave me a headache. If it doesn't do that for you. Then good for you. I will maintain my belief that added sugar is bad, esp in the quantity most people get it in. (since it's in pretty much everything you don't make yourself). You can maintain whatever you want.

And no.. not pre-diabetic, diabetic or anything. I get tested for it often because diabetes runs in my family.

I was not trying to "diary shame" you..just pointing out you eat added sugar...which based on what I can see is a relatively new thing since you probably just started the 17 day diet...if that is why...know this...c3 and c4 add in other foods and maitenance says...and I am quoting from the book...

"on the weekends eat 4 of your favorite meals"...doesn't matter if it's brown sugar pork chops or a hot fudge sunday...even the author knows it is not reasonable to expect people to reject the food they like and/or love to eat...as it is not sustainable .

yep. it's a constant struggle. i don't always realize what i'm eating has the added sugar in it until it's too late and i had cut out most of it prior to the 17 day diet. I only started it, because it is chock full of the food I already eat, so fairly easy to follow. I'm aware of what the author says. that does not mean that I am going to eat those foods or that i would even want to. I don't eat enough.. i think that's where the unhealthy choice came from the other day. I was starving and needed something quick, so i grabbed those stupid bars and the cookies (did it twice actually if i remember right) My son is currently bulking so he needs all that stuff in the house or I wouldn't even have it.

Might I suggest that you eat more prepackaged/high-sugar foods to hit your calorie totals?

I missed where she said the quantity of sugar she consumed in the form of these bars (accidentally, that is) caused her headaches. I didn't assume that her general reference to sugar causing headaches applied to this specific instance as you did. (Interesting that the first bar apparently didn't cause a problem for her as she then consumed a second bar before realizing it had sugar.)

I'll admit, I'm still suspicious of sugar causing headaches at all, so perhaps that lead me to look past it to the more obvious points I made above.

Nonetheless, I would like to thank you for standing up on her behalf. I'm sure she appreciates it.

Well, she's no less special to me than you are, so there's that...
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    pony_gross.gif
    About damn time someone got this thread back on track!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Anybody who thinks that you need to eat sugary foods to bulk has obviously never heard of peanut butter...

Are you talking about real peanut butter or "peanut butter"? I believe that most "peanut butter" is really sugary.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I just need to be involved in this thread...so...bump.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Anybody who thinks that you need to eat sugary foods to bulk has obviously never heard of peanut butter...

Are you talking about real peanut butter or "peanut butter"? I believe that most "peanut butter" is really sugary.

All peanut butter has sugar in it, but it's mainly a source of fat, most peanut butter has 144 calories from fat per serving, and 28 or 32 calories from sugar per serving, and 28 calories of protein per serving. Almost everything has sugar in it, but peanut butter is a great way to add calories.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Think about it...look at the tickers and time here and then decide who actually knows the scoop and who doesn't.

So... what works for you must work for everyone? Why is everyone so extreme about these topics?! It's OK to reduce your sugar intake if you want or need to. If you don't, then don't. I've been on here a few years and am maintaining a decent loss and I don't think that makes me smarter than anyone here.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    ....this thread is still alive??? :yawn: :indifferent:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    ....this thread is still alive??? :yawn: :indifferent:

My thoughts exactly.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

All peanut butter has sugar in it, but it's mainly a source of fat, most peanut butter has 144 calories from fat per serving, and 28 or 32 calories from sugar per serving, and 28 calories of protein per serving. Almost everything has sugar in it, but peanut butter is a great way to add calories.

So I guess peanut butter isn't an option for her either.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Joff, Joff, Joff...when will you understand that it is not the Sugar that is the problem it is the ADDED Sugar that is the problem....is it that difficult to understand? I mean everyone knows you can eat as much sugar as possible, but when you start adding it that is when all the problems kick in...
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

So I guess peanut butter isn't an option for her either.

I hope this isn't a misdirected jab at me, because I said nothing about peanut butter.

I doubt it, but, then again, why would you repeat my sentence verbatim otherwise? Hmmm...?

Well, maybe it's a misdirected jab at the other guy...

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
    (I think I read that somewhere once.)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    This thread accomplished one thing.

It proves you can't have too many Jennifer Lawrence Gifs.

Fact!

What if they're tenuously related to the topic?
    60c.gif

I will allow it!
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKxfImHkFI

Documentary mini-series on the dangers of sugar, the Industrial Age diet and how it impacts y/our struggle with weight.

NOTE: While a calorie may be a calorie in terms of energy burn, there are a LOT of other variables like how they burn and their impact on the rest of the body (and its systems) that make some calories a much better choice than others. For those who wonder, here's why.

Posting any information in the general forums, that even remotely suggests that the quality of food we ingest affects our body/health, is futile. Because huge percentage of the people here (at least the ones that bother commenting) can't follow the logic that the human body is a complex system and that WHAT we eat does affect how our body operates. The answer to anything and everything is merely the simplistic "calories in/calories out" and those of us that report health improvements by changing WHAT we eat are completely ridiculed, even though there are so many of us reporting the same experience that many doctors can no longer ignore it. I suspect that it's because most of the "calories in/calories out/eat anything/avoid fat crowd are so malnourished that their brains are just no longer functioning optimally. I just can't follow the "logic" that what we eat does NOT affect health. Besides that my own real life experience blows that theory to shreds; as well as the multi-generational experiences of the many aboriginal groups that I have lived amongst.

Just gotta to say that I hear you on this. I do think there are aspects where a calorie is a unit of measurement, and just like any measurement it's only good for a few things. It doesn't talk about motivation, interaction effects or the like. I could talk about how I like only ~30 cubic inches of food and how that was the most important thing to me, and I'd get the 'calories are all that matter' back at me. Maybe calories are all that matter to you, but I like feeling full too. I'm amazed at how much upping protein to 30% has helped me in that regard for instance. To 'fill in' my calories I often have sugar snacks, and ugh, it's a habit that is getting some negative feedback (not feeling as good as after I eat my more normal meals for instance) associated with it!
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    The American Journal of Nutrition appears to disagree with you.

Study: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/899S.full

Toaster, nice find! That is only one study, but neat to skim some of it nonetheless. Thank you for posting!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just gotta to say that I hear you on this. I do think there are aspects where a calorie is a unit of measurement, and just like any measurement it's only good for a few things. It doesn't talk about motivation, interaction effects or the like. I could talk about how I like only ~30 cubic inches of food and how that was the most important thing to me, and I'd get the 'calories are all that matter' back at me. Maybe calories are all that matter to you, but I like feeling full too. I'm amazed at how much upping protein to 30% has helped me in that regard for instance. To 'fill in' my calories I often have sugar snacks, and ugh, it's a habit that is getting some negative feedback (not feeling as good as after I eat my more normal meals for instance) associated with it!

Motivation, compliance, etc., are definitely important.

Whether the food is "clean" is not important.

The entire point is to eat whatever food satisfies you in all the necessary ways that you enjoy as long as they fit your nutrient goals. Just because someone tells you that a food is not "clean" or that it's "processed" or has "chemicals" doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it if you want to and it fits your nutrient goals.

If you're happier eating nothing but grilled chicken and vegetables, fine. If you like to eat ice cream, that's fine too. If you want to hit Taco Bell for dinner, go right ahead. Don't feel guilty, or feel that you've failed, or that you did something bad. You didn't. If you hit your nutrient goals for the day, then the day was a success. End of story.

"Clean" implies that other foods are "unclean" and therefore bad. That's false and counterproductive.

None of this means "avoid clean food" or "eat unclean food."
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

The entire point is to eat whatever food satisfies you in all the necessary ways that you enjoy as long as they fit your nutrient goals. Just because someone tells you that a food is not "clean" or that it's "processed" or has "chemicals" doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it if you want to and it fits your nutrient goals.

If you're happier eating nothing but grilled chicken and vegetables, fine. If you like to eat ice cream, that's fine too. If you want to hit Taco Bell for dinner, go right ahead. Don't feel guilty, or feel that you've failed, or that you did something bad. You didn't. If you hit your nutrient goals for the day, then the day was a success. End of story.

"Clean" implies that other foods are "unclean" and therefore bad. That's false and counterproductive.

Amen! :drinker: Here's to success!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Amen! :drinker: Here's to success!

Agreed. This post has all the truth