Group LLC (Livin Low Carb) - August 2010

Options

Replies

• pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    One of the few advantages of being more mature in years is that the TOM's go away. I must tell you though the cravings don't and they are still as strong.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    One of the few advantages of being more mature in years is that the TOM's go away. I must tell you though the cravings don't and they are still as strong.

Can I say how envious I am right now?! :laugh: Having TOM every 2 flippin' weeks is driving me up one wall and down the next. For the most part the cravings are fine...I just might get a bit hungrier and pig out on my can of nuts or decide to splurge and eat that darn ice cream. :bigsmile:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hey all........meal planning here as we are down to the week before pay and cash is getting low....so I still have a ton of stuff in the pantry that is full of carbs....waiting to find someone who eats this *kitten* to give it to.....may donate to the church or something, hate to promote crap eating but, its all good *kitten*.

So as i am planning I pulled out a few things that I may make. We are so low on cash that we cannot afford to just go shopping right now.

So I have a 7 carb per serving spaghetti sauce....2 carb meatballs.....my husband wants to know what we can put it on if not pasta.....egg plant is out. Slimy squash....he won't eat it.....any ideas? Heading for the store now.....

Thanks
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,
    I am Sandi and I would like to join your group and the challenge for September 1st!
    will enjoy getting to know you all
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Okay gals, I forgot to address the sugar sweetener problem. I do not like truvia or stevia, they both have an awful after taste that overpowers the sweetness. I even tried Stevia's flavored sweeteners to add to your drinks. Could not do it so took the unopened bottle back! I am in a real quandry about what to do....had tea today NUDE... that is the tea not me! HA.
    I want to be able to get off both the sweetener and the sugar .... any more ideas? Is EQUAL any less bad?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hey all........meal planning here as we are down to the week before pay and cash is getting low....so I still have a ton of stuff in the pantry that is full of carbs....waiting to find someone who eats this *kitten* to give it to.....may donate to the church or something, hate to promote crap eating but, its all good *kitten*.

So as i am planning I pulled out a few things that I may make. We are so low on cash that we cannot afford to just go shopping right now.

So I have a 7 carb per serving spaghetti sauce....2 carb meatballs.....my husband wants to know what we can put it on if not pasta.....egg plant is out. Slimy squash....he won't eat it.....any ideas? Heading for the store now.....

Thanks

Dreamsfield Pasta or Spaghetti Squash.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have that excuse. What is mine?
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandie. Hey good to see you here. Barbs, Phoebe is here and me. So you will be right at home here.

All the girls are doing so good here I just had to gie it a whirl. Liking it so far.The Challenge starts The st. but a lot are already posting. So come on over. Is your vacation days all over with? Marie
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, and Welcome, Sandi! Just a quick minute to post, gotta get ready for work.

QUESTION TO EVERYONE! Shall I start a new thread for September, and would anyone like to have some sort of challenge for September?

Or is everyone happy with the status quo right now, and keep this current thread?
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Hey everyone, and Welcome, Sandi! Just a quick minute to post, gotta get ready for work.

QUESTION TO EVERYONE! Shall I start a new thread for September, and would anyone like to have some sort of challenge for September?

Or is everyone happy with the status quo right now, and keep this current thread?

Hey res! Let's just keep this thread going until we hit 500 posts, then I think it automatically creates a new one for us. :smile:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    For those questioning Truvia or the likes - what about AGAVE Nectar?
    I tried Xylitol as well - I felt like I had to use a lot to get a "sweetness" factor.

Nicole - I've come to the group late, but I see you've mentioned it a few times already: what's with the bi-weekly menses? I was all over the map too - bi- weekly, none at all, 10 days long... started Glumetza for IR and I'm back to "my" regular schedule - 27 day cycle.
    :grumble: speaking of cycles - TOM rang my doorbell at 6 this morning:indifferent:

Lion - Is dreamfields okay? Again, it's not something we have up here in Canada, but I may pick it up when I'm in Vermont this weekend. I've been looking for Al Dente Carba-nada (http://www.aldentepasta.com/carbanada/carbanada.html) I love their artisan noodles and my husband loves them too - and 3 minutes in boiling water and it's ready!

Just a quick question about preparing spaghetti squash: what's the most optimal cooking method? I always do it in the microwave and it's never just right - some uncooked parts, hard to shred... What am I doing wrong. If I can figure this out I'd take the time to prepare it more often because I do like the taste!

I did a pot roast last night and it was fall-apart, melt in your mouth delish! I served it with a spinach/feta bake (added potato just to thicken it a little and for my husbands benefit!)

Well, I need to get my girls to pre-school, then fit a workout in, clean my house, see if my hair stylist can see me... and I'd love to lounge in the pool and soak up this late summer sun/heat.... so better get my tushie moving!:glasses:
    Have a great day!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I got the challenge part taken care of for us. Everyone is stating their own challenge and we are just going to track it there.
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    I tried Xylitol as well - I felt like I had to use a lot to get a "sweetness" factor.

Nicole - I've come to the group late, but I see you've mentioned it a few times already: what's with the bi-weekly menses? I was all over the map too - bi- weekly, none at all, 10 days long... started Glumetza for IR and I'm back to "my" regular schedule - 27 day cycle.
    :grumble: speaking of cycles - TOM rang my doorbell at 6 this morning:indifferent:

Lion - Is dreamfields okay? Again, it's not something we have up here in Canada, but I may pick it up when I'm in Vermont this weekend. I've been looking for Al Dente Carba-nada (http://www.aldentepasta.com/carbanada/carbanada.html) I love their artisan noodles and my husband loves them too - and 3 minutes in boiling water and it's ready!

Just a quick question about preparing spaghetti squash: what's the most optimal cooking method? I always do it in the microwave and it's never just right - some uncooked parts, hard to shred... What am I doing wrong. If I can figure this out I'd take the time to prepare it more often because I do like the taste!

I did a pot roast last night and it was fall-apart, melt in your mouth delish! I served it with a spinach/feta bake (added potato just to thicken it a little and for my husbands benefit!)

Well, I need to get my girls to pre-school, then fit a workout in, clean my house, see if my hair stylist can see me... and I'd love to lounge in the pool and soak up this late summer sun/heat.... so better get my tushie moving!:glasses:
    Have a great day!

mojogurl - I don't have a clue what's going on with my TOM. When my TOM first started 12 years ago they were always really heavy 7-10 days long, killer cramps, blood clots etc etc but I was never really irregular. When I was 18, I went on the pill to try and fix some of those issues and it took care of most of it with the exception of the cramps-nothing has ever touched those. Well during the past 2 years I've been on and off of different pills but haven't had any luck because I inevitably start to have breakthrough bleeding no matter what I do-so earlier this year I stopped taking everything-now coming off of it has made me realize I don't want to go back on it-I feel more like myself than I have in years. On the flip side, my periods are heavy, bleeding through in an hour, killer cramps and then the crazy irregularity...my past 3 cycles have been 2 weeks apart and since March I've average a TOM about every 15-23 days...I know some women don't get a full 28 days or whatever, but this is just getting nuts! I don't know if my body needs time to catch up from being off of the pill, plus crazy change in diet, weight loss and exercise or if this is my new "normal" or if there's something wrong. Sorry to write a book, but I don't know how else to explain it!

And I'm hoping someone else will answer your question about the dreamfields pasta-I've seen it but never tried it and I'm still not sure I understand how they get their effective carb count or whatever they call it...
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Okay gals, I forgot to address the sugar sweetener problem. I do not like truvia or stevia, they both have an awful after taste that overpowers the sweetness. I even tried Stevia's flavored sweeteners to add to your drinks. Could not do it so took the unopened bottle back! I am in a real quandry about what to do....had tea today NUDE... that is the tea not me! HA.
    I want to be able to get off both the sweetener and the sugar .... any more ideas? Is EQUAL any less bad?

Hi Sandi and Welcome!! :flowerforyou:

As you'll see a lot of us say, your choice in sweetener is personal! There are a lot of natural options out there, and I would ask Cora and Barb about those.
    If you prefer the artificial ones, like Equal and Splenda, I truly don't see much harm in it so long as you only use a small amount every day. But that's just my 2 cents worth and we all have different thoughts on this topic. :wink:
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
  • Poot1971
    Poot1971 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to thank everyone for you answers on how to handle naysayers. I must tell you I spoke to one of them and tried to explain that this is what works for me and her answer was as long as its working keep up the good work.:happy:
  • Resalyn
    Options
    MOJO - Here's how I cook my spaghetti squash in the micro, and it comes out perfect almost every time! Cut it in half longways, clean out the guts. Get out an 8 x 8 baking dish, and put some water in the bottom - I usually do about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Then put the squash half in there facedown, flat side down. Them pierce the skin several times deep with a sharp knife. Put in the microwave and do on high. I cook it til it feels soft when I grab it with a pair of tongs. When done, dump the water, hold one end with the tongs, and use a fork to shred it into a bowl.

You can tell by the color. When it goes in, it's almost a light yellow - when it's truly done, the "meat" changes all through to a darker color. If any of it is still light, it's not done. You can always scrape out the parts that are done and continue micro-ing the rest.... Mine usually take anywhere from 7 to 10 mins, depending on the size, but I have an industrial-size micro (we use it a lot - could probably go a month without using the oven.... makes the house too hot!)

If it's cooking unevenly, it might be your micro - if it's an older version or a cheaper model without a turntable, it may not be cooking evenly....

Another way is to do the same and put it in the oven, but it takes a LONG time that way - and while patience is a virtue, it certainly is not one of mine, LOL! I use this as a spaghetti substitute all the time, hubby loves it - daughter, not so much....
  • Resalyn
    Options
    MARIE! I must have missed your post about the challenge. Did you start a different thread somewhere, or we'll post our personal challenge here?
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Ok, ladies, have to share my NSV from yesterday. Hubby and I bought some kayaks on Sunday. I've only been in a canoe twice in my life - and NEVER in a kayak. Something I've always wanted to do "when I got thin."

Well, we took the kayaks to the lake last night - and after some initial unsteadiness, I was getting the hang of it! AND, I didn't dump it or fall in the water!

The only problem was getting out when I was done - that was a little tough, and boy, are my shoulders achy today! It was a beautiful evening - watched the sun set over the lake - it was like glass, and there was no one out there but us. Probably a few people watching the comedy show when I first tried to get in and paddle, but hey - they're entitled to entertainment too, right? LOL.
  • saverys_gal
    Options

Have a great day!

mojogurl - I don't have a clue what's going on with my TOM. When my TOM first started 12 years ago they were always really heavy 7-10 days long, killer cramps, blood clots etc etc but I was never really irregular. When I was 18, I went on the pill to try and fix some of those issues and it took care of most of it with the exception of the cramps-nothing has ever touched those. Well during the past 2 years I've been on and off of different pills but haven't had any luck because I inevitably start to have breakthrough bleeding no matter what I do-so earlier this year I stopped taking everything-now coming off of it has made me realize I don't want to go back on it-I feel more like myself than I have in years. On the flip side, my periods are heavy, bleeding through in an hour, killer cramps and then the crazy irregularity...my past 3 cycles have been 2 weeks apart and since March I've average a TOM about every 15-23 days...I know some women don't get a full 28 days or whatever, but this is just getting nuts! I don't know if my body needs time to catch up from being off of the pill, plus crazy change in diet, weight loss and exercise or if this is my new "normal" or if there's something wrong. Sorry to write a book, but I don't know how else to explain it!

And I'm hoping someone else will answer your question about the dreamfields pasta-I've seen it but never tried it and I'm still not sure I understand how they get their effective carb count or whatever they call it...

Have you had a scan for fibroids or endometriosis. These can be the cause of heavy bleeding and cramps. Don't suffer with it, it can make your life miserable working stuff around TOM's. I wish I had acted sooner and got more investigative work done rather than being put onto different pills. Have you had a recent internal.

Thanks pickledilly...every one of my yearly appointments has turned up fine, but then again they've never gone in looking for anything if you know what I mean. My mom has fibroids so I do know I have a good chance of that. I'm due for my yearly next month and am most certainly not looking forward to this one because it's going to be a long drawn out process! LOL.