Do Not Eat Chia Seeds!!!

Options
Quasita
Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
As good as they sound like they will be for you, please, take heed of this warning!!!:

"The FDA concluded early this week that the ingestion of Chia seed may result in serious health hazards.

Marketed as a healthy addition to the average diet, Chia seed is touted as providing a complex sampling of vitamins and minerals, as well as one of the most complete, plant-based amino acids available. Labeled a "super food" by the diet and weightloss community, nutritionists and dieticians, this ancient grain and its use has spread with fervor throughout many online communities.

An FDA representative stated the following: "While this seed was used in ancient times to provide long-term sustenance as well as reliable hydration for military troops, it has become clear to us that in our current climate, the risks of ingestion outweigh the benefits. We do not recommend that anyone regularly ingest this plant product..."

Although it is acknowledged that there is some relevance of use in third world countries, scientists conclude that Chia seed used in the Western civilized communities, particularly in the United States and Canada, could have detrimental health effects.

These details came to light after it was revealed that the Chia seed provided as a food source was indeed directly related to the seed used in the popular product "Chia Pet," a plant and herb growing item popularized in the 1980s.

Potential health hazards include: inability to eat a full and varied diet due to lack of space in the stomach, extended periods of satiation, overabundance of vitamins and minerals in the bloodstream, and the possibility of the seeds implanting into the lining of the stomach and intestines, thereby growing an internal herb garden that cannot be controlled by traditional means. This list is not a comprehensive list of side effects that may occur from the regular ingestion of Chia.

More information will be provided as it becomes available."

SO SCARY!!!

Replies

• Quasita
    Options
    bump.. seriously guys!!
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing out there to validate what you just posted.

You would have to eat a horrible amount in order for them to cause any kind of problems. You are only supposed to eat a couple of tablespoons at at time.

You cannot have an overabundance of vitamins and minerals in the bloodstream because your body absorbs what it needs and the rest is flushed away.....besides with all the garbage we eat everyday chances are extremely high that we would still not be getting enough.

I'm not even going to comment on the internal herb garden :laugh:

Worst that would happen would be a bad case of gas or an allergic reaction.

This is all I could find when I googled..... http://www.buzzle.com/articles/chia-seeds-side-effects.html

PS.....If this is tongue in cheek.....please disregard this post :happy:
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    Did you call that number? :bigsmile:
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I only tried chia seeds once. That was in one of those healthy drinks were they left them in their whole and floating around. I could only do one mouth full...It was like drinking little fish eggs!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    thats what ive been saying who wants to eat little black balls of snot death. (dont believe me soak chia seeds)
  • Quasita
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing out there to validate what you just posted.

You would have to eat a horrible amount in order for them to cause any kind of problems. You are only supposed to eat a couple of tablespoons at at time.

You cannot have an overabundance of vitamins and minerals in the bloodstream because your body absorbs what it needs and the rest is flushed away.....besides with all the garbage we eat everyday chances are extremely high that we would still not be getting enough.

I'm not even going to comment on the internal herb garden :laugh:

Worst that would happen would be a bad case of gas or an allergic reaction.

This is all I could find when I googled..... http://www.buzzle.com/articles/chia-seeds-side-effects.html

PS.....If this is tongue in cheek.....please disregard this post :happy:

Thankfully my research has provided me reason to believe that I don't need de-herbing so I haven't called the number.
    I don't know what this "buzzle" site is but I don't trust it.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    link to the article:

www.theonion.com/chiaseeds
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    omg really?

Call the number. :grumble:
  • Quasita
    Options
    link to the article:

www.theonion.com/chiaseeds

There is no such article there! I didn't get this from a satire site, thank you very much!
  • Quasita
    Options
    omg really?

I don't believe in keeping a telephone.
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    Would you kindly tell us where you did then?
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    false. I eat what I want. go have a sammich, because I love me my chia seeds.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Omg I'm so stoked for my cruise now!
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    I called the number and I have won an all expense paid trip to......THE BAHAMAS!!! :laugh:

Seriously...that's what it said. :bigsmile:
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think I'm more shocked that they didn't realize it was the same stuff from the Chia pets. I knew INSTANTLY.
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Omg I'm so stoked for my cruise now!

ROFLMAO :drinker:
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    omg really?

I don't believe in keeping a telephone.

Wait.

But you believe in the internet?

This is obviously a joke.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I would like a chia puppy to grow inside me. I don't have time for a real one. :sad:

puppy200.jpg
  • Quasita
    Options
    false. I eat what I want. go have a sammich, because I love me my chia seeds.

Haven't you read, sammiches are poison!!!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Nothing on the FDA website about this. I call shenanigans.