Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but the thing I find most wrong with the pic is the suggestion that every woman could look like that if they just stopped making excuses. That woman is gorgeous. If all she is flaunting is her fitness, then what is with the glamour makeup and hair?

And the caption is more than a little narcissistic. "What is your excuse?" It implies that she imagines every woman wants to look like her.

The caption was "What's your excuse" Not - "Everybody should look like me and if you don't you are bad and make excuses" Why put your own thoughts into her words? I would never look like that (not the age or the DNA), but so what?? Why see it as a personal injury? .I don't get people.

Um, whose thoughts should I put into it?

Mine would be best.

"What is my excuse for not having a hot wife with beautiful kids?"
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Here I fixed it.

Now there is nothing to compare yourself to.

yes I ended on a preposition.

tumblr_murv6xCBSP1socmjgo1_400.jpg
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    well, then it doesnt apply to them and they wont notice the advertising that isnt aimed at them, right? I never notice diaper commercials and I dont know jack about cars - cause neither of these are on my radar. shrug.

This. Being offended because it's not your goal would be like me being offended by John Frieda Sheer Blonde hair color commercials. Maybe I should pitch a fit because I don't want to be blonde (aside from wearing a wig for Halloween).
    Nobody is offended by what she looks like. The "offense" (and I'm not really offended at all) is the idea that ALL women have the same goal.

but it doesnt say that anywhere :( i dont understand where that sentiment keeps coming from

WHEIRD SAID IT.

:laugh:

That was even quoted before the responses. I'm not getting the confusion here. lol

I am laughing because only two people caught it and got frustrated by it. :P
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    well, then it doesnt apply to them and they wont notice the advertising that isnt aimed at them, right? I never notice diaper commercials and I dont know jack about cars - cause neither of these are on my radar. shrug.

This. Being offended because it's not your goal would be like me being offended by John Frieda Sheer Blonde hair color commercials. Maybe I should pitch a fit because I don't want to be blonde (aside from wearing a wig for Halloween).
    Nobody is offended by what she looks like. The "offense" (and I'm not really offended at all) is the idea that ALL women have the same goal.

This ^^ and, I think, the suggestion that her life is comparable to every woman with 3 kids. Income level, support network, health of the children, health of the woman, responsibilities beyond the children and home, as well as many other "excuses" can be very valid.
    Income level isn't an excuse.

I agree health of children, etc., can be. But I know enough women who are in the upper levels of income with healthy families who "don't have time" because they have a couple kids. BS. I think that's the point of the photo.

It really has become fashionable to be "oh so busy" these days.

Yes, income level would not be a valid excuse for women in the upper levels of income. But it absolutely can be for others. That level of fitness takes work.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

This ^^ and, I think, the suggestion that her life is comparable to every woman with 3 kids. Income level, support network, health of the children, health of the woman, responsibilities beyond the children and home, as well as many other "excuses" can be very valid.

I agree health of children, etc., can be. But I know enough women who are in the upper levels of income with healthy families who "don't have time" because they have a couple kids. BS. I think that's the point of the photo.

Yes, income level would not be a valid excuse for women in the upper levels of income. But it absolutely can be for others. That level of fitness takes work.

See my earlier responses: Single teenage mother in college. I was in pretty darned good shape and back to pre-pregnancy weight in six months.

You don't need to spend a dime to get into that kind of shape.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but the thing I find most wrong with the pic is the suggestion that every woman could look like that if they just stopped making excuses. That woman is gorgeous. If all she is flaunting is her fitness, then what is with the glamour makeup and hair?

And the caption is more than a little narcissistic. "What is your excuse?" It implies that she imagines every woman wants to look like her.

The caption was "What's your excuse" Not - "Everybody should look like me and if you don't you are bad and make excuses" Why put your own thoughts into her words? I would never look like that (not the age or the DNA), but so what?? Why see it as a personal injury? .I don't get people.

No one's.

You take her words at face value, if they apply to you - then apply them to yourself with your own thoughts.

but taking someone's words- adding your thoughts to them and then stating that this is the original message - is shenanigans.

because when i saw this picture, your thoughts didnt pop into my head.

because when i saw this picture, it didnt say anything about looking just like her.

that part lives in your head. so it's subjective.

you cant argue subjective points as fact :(

:drinker:
  • yoovie
    Options

I live off $500/wk in the middle of NYC and a 65 hour workweek.
    Im fit as frak.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Im fit as frak.

That's awesome. Are you saying that means no other mother of three has any excuse for not doing the same? Even if they live elsewhere or work more hours or have more expenses or make less? Because otherwise, I don't see your point.
  • rml_16
    Options
    That's awesome. Are you saying that means no other mother of three has any excuse for not doing the same? Even if they live elsewhere or work more hours or have more expenses or make less? Because otherwise, I don't see your point.

It costs $0 to get in shape. ZERO. DOLLARS.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No one's.

You take her words at face value, if they apply to you - then apply them to yourself with your own thoughts.

but taking someone's words- adding your thoughts to them and then stating that this is the original message - is shenanigans.

because when i saw this picture, your thoughts didnt pop into my head.

because when i saw this picture, it didnt say anything about looking just like her.

that part lives in your head. so it's subjective.

you cant argue subjective points as fact :(

:drinker:

Because you applied your thoughts. The whole point of this post would suggest more people applied thoughts along the same line as me.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Unless you consider that time is money, and the level of fitness depicted in the pic is not something that achieved without time.
  • rml_16
    Options

Unless you consider that time is money, and the level of fitness depicted in the pic is not something that achieved without time.
    So what do you think these women are doing instead? Because I had a job, full-time classes and a small child and found time to exercise.
  • yoovie
    Options

Im fit as frak.

My point was that it takes WORK NOT MONEY. Im not in the upper levels of income and i dont use that as an excuse to reach high levels of fitness.

I dont care about excuses. Only reasons. and yes - that is exactly what I am saying.

here - i will put it in a complete sentence again.

No human being, of sound mind and body, has any excuse why they are not able to work toward their own optimum level of personal fitness.

if you can do some kind of bodyweight strentgh exercises (like pushups and dips and squats) and shadowbox - you can be fit.

Both of those are free and can be done in a very small amount of space and require no additional equipment.

Reasons exist. Reasons are everywhere. Reasons are things like - being pregnant and on bed rest- but that is still not an excuse to eat whatever you want and give up. Injuries, chronic illnesses, children or family with special needs, clinical depression, abusive situations at home - these are REASONS. No one will judge you for having actual reasons why you cant take care of yourself physically.

But excuses... it costs too much, i dont have time, im a mom with young kids, i dont have a gym membership, my husband wont eat like me, my mother in law sabotages me, i cant wake up early, i got in a fight with my boyfriend, i binged yesterday :( - these are excuses. If these are the reasons you arent working toward being physically fit, then please dont come here and complain that something is impossible.
  • bcattoes
    Options

So what do you think these women are doing instead? Because I had a job, full-time classes and a small child and found time to exercise.

And I was at one time a single mom with 2 kids and 2 jobs and I exercised. But my situation is mine, and I certainly don't think it means that others that can't manage do the same are making lame excuses.
  • yoovie
    Options

It actually takes a lot less time than trying to lose weight does.
  • rml_16
    Options

And I was at one time a single mom with 2 kids and 2 jobs and I exercised. But my situation is mine, and I certainly don't think it means that others that can't manage do the same are making lame excuses.
    Give me a situation where exercise is not an option due to financial issues. I can't think of one.
  • yoovie
    Options

You are determined to prove that it is impossible for you to get to your personal best level of fitness.

Okay. No problem. You are exempt.

No one will expect greatness. I promise.

if you dont want an awesome fit body - no one will make you get one. its ok.

tina-fey-alec-baldwin-there-there.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's more disheartening:

Seeing all the excuses people are continuing to use to keep themselves down or the butthurt from a fitspo (which makes me wonder how they really feel about the MFP Fitspiration thread) that they've managed to project their issues on.

:frown: :cry:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

The vast majority of people are not in professions where they could be working from home and charging by the hour. If they've got an extra 20 minutes in their day at home, they can exercise.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's more disheartening:

Seeing all the excuses people are continuing to use to keep themselves down or the butthurt from a fitspo (which makes me wonder how they really feel about the MFP Fitspiration thread) that they've managed to project their issues on.

:frown: :cry:
    It's equally disheartening. *sigh*