Relationship advice please!

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Lives with his parents....bad at relationships....sounds like George Costanza!

In all seriousness, it's time to move on - the relationship has run it's course.

Wait... IS it George Costanza, OP? It's OK... You can tell us...

3pmtut.jpg
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I think you know the answer - you're just seeking validation that you will be making the right decision. (I don't mean that in a nasty way - I'm sorry if that comes across as harsh.)

He likes things the way they are and you want to move forward. Obvious incongruency, there. Are you going to hold yourself back because that's where he's comfortable, or are you going to free yourself from this situation and move on?

You can only control YOU - you can't "make" him do anything; you can only control how you respond to what he does/says. You don't need a significant other to validate you as a person - do what's best for you. Might be painful, but in the long run you'll probably be better off.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    you're dating a 38 year old child. You don't have a relationship, just play time

This pretty much sums it up
  • whatkatydidnext
    Options
    I suppose I'm scared to finish things as I am so in love with him. I can't imagine ending a relationship when I feel that way. I did go through a '**** him' phase a few weeks after the talk and distanced myself for a bit and even applied for a couple of jobs miles away from home (I would have had to have relocated if successful). Things are just as they were again now though.

I'm terrible at having serious talks. It took me 4 months to build up the courage to ask him about moving in.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Oh dear God, I guess you've been in the monkey house so long that you don't even notice the stench anymore. Please believe all of us - it stinks to high heaven.

I know it's hard to flush 5 years down the drain but this guy is a Peter Pan of the highest order. Even if you could shoehorn him out of his parent's house and into yours, what do you think would change? Do you think he would suddenly become a responsible adult and contribute equally toward the household? No, he wouldn't. He would just expect you to take over the role of caretaker. He is lacking some of the main characteristics of a functioning adult: ambition, independence, pride in one's self, and apparently the ability to love. Start disengaging yourself from this guy immediately before you wake up and find another 5 years gone and your stock in the dating world has dropped along with it.

Just thought that bore repeating.

The only time anyone should date a man over 25 who lives with his parents is if they are elderly and in poor health and he is taking care of them or if it is a very short term "My new house is not quite done but I already sold my other house so I'm living here for the next 6 weeks" sort of thing.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You know the answer in your heart of hearts. Men=simple creatures of action

Hope your situation improves

that's a highly generalised and misandrist statement.

it's kind of offensive and not true.

You're probably right it is offensive, but in my experience men express their emotions by what they "DO" it's black and white. So if he hasnt taken the steps to do A or B then he probably isnt interested.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm scared to finish things as I am so in love with him. I can't imagine ending a relationship when I feel that way. I did go through a '**** him' phase a few weeks after the talk and distanced myself for a bit and even applied for a couple of jobs miles away from home (I would have had to have relocated if successful). Things are just as they were again now though.

I'm terrible at having serious talks. It took me 4 months to build up the courage to ask him about moving in.

This isn't a relationship. It is completely one sided. I hate these relationship threads because the viewpoints are always so one sided, but I think this one is pretty damn clear. You need to move on.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Listen I was with the wrong guy for six years. There is life after a dead end relationship. I promise. I know the courage is hard to find, but you gotta. You owe it to yourself and you deserve better. Believe that please because it's true.
  • whatkatydidnext
    Options
    Lives with his parents....bad at relationships....sounds like George Costanza!

In all seriousness, it's time to move on - the relationship has run it's course.

Wait... IS it George Costanza, OP? It's OK... You can tell us...

3pmtut.jpg

Nah, I'm a Kramer girl.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    making me feel like I'm in a teenage boy's room)! I

You are. He maybe 38, but he's a boy mentally and emotionally.
  • whatkatydidnext
    Options

Listen I was with the wrong guy for six years. There is life after a dead end relationship. I promise. I know the courage is hard to find, but you gotta. You owe it to yourself and you deserve better. Believe that please because it's true.

I do understand that. I was with someone for 9 years and for half of that was unhappy and I didn't love him any more, but carried on as things 'weren't that bad'. This time though, my feelings are very different, which is why I'm so confused.
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other replies that there some red flags. But the bigger picture is that you each have different visions of a future together. Five years is a long time, and you love him. I get why that's hard. But it's only going to eat away at you more and more because you aren't getting what you need.

If you decide to part ways, know that heartache heals. You have others in your support system, right? Family and friends? He's not supporting you financially and you don't have children, so you're with him by choice. You don't really NEED him to live; obviously you are a capable and independant woman. Is this relationship really, honestly making you happy? It's not about finding someone else (though you will) but it's about a relationship making your life better. It sounds like he confuses and frustrates you, and he shows no signs of compromise. Is this situation really good enough for you, for the whole rest of your life?
  • sevfam
    sevfam Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    run....
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

I do understand that. I was with someone for 9 years and for half of that was unhappy and I didn't love him any more, but carried on as things 'weren't that bad'. This time though, my feelings are very different, which is why I'm so confused.

Sounds like the problem isn't the men you choose then. That's 14 years of bs down the drain and for what? Don't mean to be harsh but maybe you should start evaluating what you want in a "MAN" and don't accept anything less than that. Unless what you want is highly unrealistic (e.g. Edward from Twilight or some soap opera perfect guy).
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options

And are you sensing a pattern here? Because I sure as hell am.

Not trying to be a d!ck but land sakes, woman. This dude is a massive tool. Why waste your life?
  • whatkatydidnext
    Options

And are you sensing a pattern here? Because I sure as hell am.

Not trying to be a d!ck but land sakes, woman. This dude is a massive tool. Why waste your life?

They were two completely different issues though. It was my fault that I stayed in the other relationship for so long - he didn't want to break up and I broke his heart when I finished it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Your feelings are not reciprocated, so what is the confusion? Just because you have these feelings for him does not mean he has them for you. Do you want to be in a one sided relationship?
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I'm looking for some relationship advice, so thought I'd try here. I'm a fairly regular poster, so for anonymity, I've opened a new account.

I've been with my boyfriend for over 5 years. I'm 35 and he's 38 and we've no plans to ever have kids or get married (this is a mutual agreement). 18 months ago, I asked if he would consider moving in with me in the future. Big mistake. Without hesitating, he said he would never live with me. I was gobsmacked and was pretty upset by his reply. I asked him why and he said he loves living on his own. Now, this would make sense, but he doesn't live on his own - he lives with his parents (his bedroom is tiny and I hate going round there as there's only room to sit on the bed, making me feel like I'm in a teenage boy's room)! I questioned him about this statement and he said he never saw them. They never leave the house! He also pays no contribution towards the bills and never does any housework. I do wonder if this has something to do with him not leaving...

I've since tried to explain to him how much this upsets me, as this is as far as our relationship will progress. As I said before, I don't want kids or marriage, so this was the next and final step for me. He was adamant this was his stance, so in order not to ruin our relationship, I've never brought it up again. Unfortunately, it plays on my mind all the time. I wish I could ignore it, but it's always there in the back of my mind, torturing me. We have a good relationship and he's really kind to me and has recently helped me through an long illness, so I'm not willing to give it all up for this, but it eats away at me. :(

Has anyone got any advice for me? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Sorry it's so long...

Edit: He also won't tell me he loves me. I'm pretty certain he does, in the way he acts towards me, but recently, when I asked him if he did, he just told me that he doesn't know what love means. Sigh.

I can't tell you what to do, if if I were in this situation, I would end the relationship. I am an adult woman and want loving relationships with other adults -- that means a man who acts like an adult, doesn't live in a little room with mom and dad (unless they are really ill and he takes care of them), contributes to bills, is trustworthy, and wants the same things I want -- to be happy and share our lives. I would give the boot to a guy who couldn't tell me if he loved me. Just not worth it. There are other people in the world.

This is an entitled guy who has been taken care of by mom and dad all his life and doesn't have good values.
  • whatkatydidnext
    Options

Sounds like the problem isn't the men you choose then. That's 14 years of bs down the drain and for what? Don't mean to be harsh but maybe you should start evaluating what you want in a "MAN" and don't accept anything less than that. Unless what you want is highly unrealistic (e.g. Edward from Twilight or some soap opera perfect guy).

I don't like to look at it as years down the drain, when that's simply not true. It makes me sad when friends' relationships break up and they bemoan the wasted years. There's plenty of good memories to be taken that people forget when they've been hurt.

If I did finish this relationship and found another man, I'm not going to find everything I want. There's no perfect man out there. I'm not one to dream about the unattainable perfect guy.