Does "Hot Mom" Need to Apologize?

Options

Replies

• wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm not nearly as irked as a lot of people are, but I wonder if the reaction would be the same if her achievement was something else that a lot of people wouldn't be able to attain no matter how hard they worked.

Imagine a woman holding a degree from her doctorate in microbiology with her three kids sitting around her with the tagline "What's Your Excuse?"

Or a woman standing in a perfect Martha Stewart-style house with the tagline "What's Your Excuse?"

I don't think this was meant to be fat-shaming, but it does play into the idea that women are supposed to be perfect. We're supposed to be beautiful, with a perfect body, even if we have small children. And that's just not possible for a lot of people. I'm never going to be beautiful, no matter what my weight is. At best I'll be cute or nice looking.

And, frankly, my priorities are not hers. I want to be a healthy weight. You can be healthy and not have rock-hard abs. And that's okay.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Shes-82-Years-old-300x300.png
    7a7ed3e1d47f2e17a058008548aa0c62.jpg
    16097_v0_600x.jpg
    Whats-your-excuse-resizecrop--.png

It's all good !! It's great to be supportive in other's achievements !!!
    Doesn't not matter if someone else's goals are the same as ours.
    why oh why are SOME people are so easily offended, and so easily become jeolous, and self-centered that they are INCAPABLE of being supportive of someone else. so sad.
  • Amy11108
    Options
    I'm not nearly as irked as a lot of people are, but I wonder if the reaction would be the same if her achievement was something else that a lot of people wouldn't be able to attain no matter how hard they worked.

Imagine a woman holding a degree from her doctorate in microbiology with her three kids sitting around her with the tagline "What's Your Excuse?"

Or a woman standing in a perfect Martha Stewart-style house with the tagline "What's Your Excuse?"

I don't think this was meant to be fat-shaming, but it does play into the idea that women are supposed to be perfect. We're supposed to be beautiful, with a perfect body, even if we have small children. And that's just not possible for a lot of people. I'm never going to be beautiful, no matter what my weight is. At best I'll be cute or nice looking.

And, frankly, my priorities are not hers. I want to be a healthy weight. You can be healthy and not have rock-hard abs. And that's okay.

Exactly my point. She is making the assumption that if you don't look like her you are making excuses. Maybe someone doesn't want to look like her. They are good where they're at.
  • xraygal84
    xraygal84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think this is awesome she was able to do what she did. I know that I have weight to lose and my journey is for me. People complain about other people no matter what they do. If she was fat, people would say something and if she was skinny people would say something. You cannot live your life worrying about other people. Go head girl and do you!

I am still a big girl but I am not going to hate on all you ladies that look great out there. Y'all are just further along on this journey than me. No biggies. I have been bullied as a kid and have heard hurtful things as a big person. So I know what "fat shamming" is and this is not it. I like this picture because it shows me you don't have to be big after kids. I know it is taking me long because I am just learning the right way to diet and exercise.

Ladies there are enough ways in society today that we put each other down and we instead need to be building each other up. This mom does not have to apologize and in fact I believe those people should apologize to her. From a big momma to you girl, you look good!

^This
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

She is making the assumption that if you don't look like her you are making excuses.
    No she is not.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options

Exactly my point. She is making the assumption that if you don't look like her you are making excuses. Maybe someone doesn't want to look like her. They are good where they're at.

oh, my.my so we should not be proud of an accomplishments, because we're afraid we might offend some one's else that isn't interested in the same goals ? or we may offend someone that is incapable of the same goals/accomplishments ?

shall we tippy-toe around others like they're a 3 year old toddler ? ... gotta make sure the toddler doesn't have a tantrum.
    come on people, grow up !!

btw~ she did not invent the "What's your excuse" tag line. She simply personalized it for her particular situation .
  • kjauthier
    kjauthier Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey, I get it everyone wants to look good. Unfortunately not everyone are not blessed with her genetics. Case in point , my brother and I are triathletes. He trains his *kitten* off, not so much for me. I remain thinner. I see many body types in my races. Ive met a lot of really awesome people in my races, so what you look like and motivation is complete bull****. No, she shouldnt apologize just maybe think before putting her foot in her mouth.
  • buckmeatball
    buckmeatball Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the point she is trying to make. Who is her audience and what is she gaining by posting this photo? Maybe I'm old fashioned but I believe in a little bit of humility. I'd really like to see before photos too. Did she lose 100 lbs, 50, 10? Was she rock hard before the kids?
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    Hey, I get it everyone wants to look good. Unfortunately not everyone are not blessed with her genetics. Case in point , my brother and I are triathletes. He trains his *kitten* off, not so much for me. I remain thinner. I see many body types in my races. Ive met a lot of really awesome people in my races, so what you look like and motivation is complete bull****.
    No, she shouldnt apologize just maybe think before putting her foot in her mouth.

btw~ she did not invent the "What's your excuse" tag line. She simply personalized it for her particular situation
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the whole Martha Stewart and Doctorate comparison. It is saying that being a home maker and getting your education is just as important as being healthy for a woman. That is not true. Being healthy should be every woman's goal.

Now with that being said I think people would find this more socially acceptable if there were more than one person and more than one body type showing what healthy looks like. I say people are way too sensitive and can't see this for what it is. She is asking you what your excuse is for your own personal health goals. Yes, your goals are not going to be the same as hers and your body is not going to look like hers but you should have at least have a goal of being healthy.
  • Amy11108
    Options

oh, my.my so we should not be proud of an accomplishments, because we're afraind we might offend some one's else that isn't interested in the same goals ? or we may offend someone that is incapable of the same goals/accomplishments ?

shall we tippy-toe around others like they're a 3 year old toddler ? ... gotta make sure the toddler doesn't have a tantrum.

btw~ she did not invent the "What's your excuse" tag line. She simply personalized it for her particular situation .

No, we shouldn't censor ourselves as to not offend someone. Her goals are not my goals, and I am NOT offended. I am simply saying I can see the point of view where someone might be.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i say no because if she has to so do all singers like pink and so on plus through in some holly wood actress and other models. they work there butts off good for them
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I think it's fat shaming, personally. I agree with the person above who said that it's not necessarily an excuse, but a different priority for a lot of people... And IMO it's not her place to label people's priorities as 'excuses'. And looking like she does really is not necessary to be healthy (and probably impossible for a lot of women).. so I think it's a bit uncalled for.

For what it's worth, I found her apology even worse, lol.

I do not know what she is needs to apologize for, if people are so fat and thin skinned that they are upset, so much the better.

Before you all blast me, I am fat and doing something about it, however slow it may seem. I am saying to all fat people, get over fat self and take charge of your life however small that may be. We have become nothing but a nation of whiners.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    She doesn't have to apologise, and I'm sure she meant it to be motivating. There are far too many women who believe that they lose control of their body the day they fall pregnant, and in many cases it's not true, and perhaps this photo could encourage them not to give up.

But at the same time, it's none of anybody else's business what "excuses" people come up with. So I do see why some get annoyed.

No apology needed though, I understand her intention.
  • wiscck
    Options
    oh, my.my so we should not be proud of an accomplishments, because we're afraind we might offend some one's else that isn't interested in the same goals ? or we may offend someone that is incapable of the same goals/accomplishments ?

No, we should definitely be proud of our accomplishments. She should be proud of her body --it's pretty spectacular. But the "What's your excuse" slogan isn't the best. The vast majority of women won't be able to look like her, no matter how hard they work. Especially if they had three small children. Just like the vast majority of people won't be able to earn a microbiology Ph.D or have a perfect Martha Stewart house, or own a Ferrari, or whatever your choice of likely unobtainable goals is. Should she apologize? No. But should she think about her next promotional photo a little more carefully? Yes.
  • suuta
    suuta Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In high school, I was known as Mimi (as in the Drew Carey show) because of my body and my lipstick... I know how people can be. The difference between us and them is that we have all taken the first step: thrown out our excuses and committed to loosing weight. Not everyone is ready to do that yet. They are still angry and envious of who have achieved more than them. It's a defense mechanism. Really they are just mad at themselves and lashing out. Its one of my reasons for getting fit: I do not like negativity in my life. Self hatred, anger and jealousy. I want to loose all that by losing pounds.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What excuses do we continue to make?

Personally my excuse for not having three kids is that I don't want kids. Can't be doing with the whole passive aggressive breeder thing...

:)

LOL!!
    It's only an implication. If you take it to mean that you have no excuse not to look exactly like her if you have 3 kids, then you're taking it far too literally. It's a suggestion that even if you're busy with three kids you can still be fit and healthy.

Let's look at it a different way--is having kids really the only thing that keeps people busy and away from being fit and healthy? No. I can't tell you how many times I see ads and motivational memes that are aimed to moms. Just saw one yesterday that said "Your body made children. You can put one foot in front of the other for 13.1 miles". Whaaat? So, if I didn't make children, I can't? Or somehow I'm more awesome cause I didn't make kids but I can still do a half? Just weird.
    You could see an implications all over that people without kids have all the time in the world, don't care how healthy their food is, or how clean their houses are. Think about it.
    (No she does not need to apologize.)
  • wiscck
    Options
    I don't buy the whole Martha Stewart and Doctorate comparison. It is saying that being a home maker and getting your education is just as important as being healthy for a woman. That is not true. Being healthy should be every woman's goal.

Now with that being said I think people would find this more socially acceptable if there were more than one person and more than one body type showing what healthy looks like. I say people are way too sensitive and can't see this for what it is. She is asking you what your excuse is for your own personal health goals. Yes, your goals are not going to be the same as hers and your body is not going to look like hers but you should have at least have a goal of being healthy.
    I do have the goal of being healthy. But there's a whole lot of territory between "healthy" and "rock hard abs". Just like there's a lot of territory between a clean, functional house and a Martha Stewart house, and a lot of territory between "educated enough to get a decent job" and "doctorate". We should all aim for the first of those things, but we shouldn't be shamed if we don't attain the second.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So... this woman has been in the news this week. Former model, 3 kids under 3, rockin' bod, posts this picture, and hate mail ensued.

kWGHBXL.jpg

Apparently, this has caused many people to get their proverbial panties in a bunch.
    They claim she's fat shaming.

Is she?
    Where is the line between fat shaming, health, and non-model reality?

What excuses have we made for ourselves?

What excuses do we continue to make?

Does she owe an apology?

I say no.

What if Hot mom's significant other earns a 7 figure quarterly bonus on top of a 7 figure salary, , can afford a team of child minders for each kid and not have a job to go to?

"Hot Mom" is basically saying that regardless of your circumstances, you should be embarrassed for not being fit, healthy and hot.

If ' hot mom' worked a job, was a full time parent as well as a full time employee, then maybe she could rightly say she found a way. For every day people, who is anyone to judge the reasons preventing a person from being hot,fit and healthy?

I don't think she's all that to be honest...I have had better.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    apology for self-promotion maybe.

One of my friends is a mom of 6 and looks great! She has the same attitude (what's your excuse?). She gets on me all the time and I love her for it. :love:

I say if you are upset and hurt by an ad like that, something is bothering YOU, and it ain't her, LOL.