Push gift

Options

Replies

• metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Make sure she has tons of support afterward. Take the baby out so she can sleep, clean or get others to help with cleaning, laundry, cooking, etc. The first six weeks with a new baby and recovering from childbirth makes for an exhausted, emotional mother. Feeling bad about the housework not getting done just magnifies it. The two biggest rules: when baby sleeps, make sure the mother is sleeping, and don't let her sweep floors (that movement really engages the abdominal muscles)

A love note and extra help is a wonderful gift.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have had five kids ;) never heard of a push gift.. ;) hmmm.. perhaps I should get him to give me back pay in gifts? lol
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I think it's some weird competitive Pinterest phenomenon, myself... another way to show everyone what an absolutely perfect life and perfect husband you have... I can just imagine the tweets and facebook updates now.

Oh, and don't forget to arrange to have a friend with an almost-professional-photography business come to the birth so they can stage a family photo shoot immediately after the baby emerges and right before the cord is cut. You should probably wear an outfit that coordinates with your wife's hospital gown and the nurses' scrubs so the photos will come out perfect.

I hope your wife has been saving mason jars, toilet paper tubes, corks and burlap sacks since she found out that she's pregnant. I'm sure that she'll want to use her time in between contractions to whip up some wonderful crafts and baby announcements during the downtime.

After the baby arrives, all your friends can rush into the delivery room with a pot-luck array of semi-homemade treats and cocktails and you can present the push present while everyone oohs and ahhs over your fabulous taste in jewelry. You should probably call ahead to let the nurses know your color-scheme so they can decorate the delivery suite accordingly.

I'm pretty sure that the doctor will even okay some labor-inducing drugs so you can send out invitations with the correct date and time of your fabulous birth day.

But, seriously, if you feel in your heart that you should get your wife a gift, by all means do so. But I do think it plays into the whole mama-drama competitive thing. The whole social media pregnancy is just as bad as the modern bridezilla phenomenon.

Bringing a beautiful baby into this world together is the greatest gift you could give to each other. Maybe you should focus on that for a day or so.

Save your money for diapers. LOL

Apparently you didn't read and/or understand my post. I am against the push gift, I had never heard of it until a coworker said something and I think it is a pretty ridiculous. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't oblivious to something that has become the norm like many other things I am oblivious too.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I think it's some weird competitive Pinterest phenomenon, myself... another way to show everyone what an absolutely perfect life and perfect husband you have... I can just imagine the tweets and facebook updates now.

Oh, and don't forget to arrange to have a friend with an almost-professional-photography business come to the birth so they can stage a family photo shoot immediately after the baby emerges and right before the cord is cut. You should probably wear an outfit that coordinates with your wife's hospital gown and the nurses' scrubs so the photos will come out perfect.

I hope your wife has been saving mason jars, toilet paper tubes, corks and burlap sacks since she found out that she's pregnant. I'm sure that she'll want to use her time in between contractions to whip up some wonderful crafts and baby announcements during the downtime.

After the baby arrives, all your friends can rush into the delivery room with a pot-luck array of semi-homemade treats and cocktails and you can present the push present while everyone oohs and ahhs over your fabulous taste in jewelry. You should probably call ahead to let the nurses know your color-scheme so they can decorate the delivery suite accordingly.

I'm pretty sure that the doctor will even okay some labor-inducing drugs so you can send out invitations with the correct date and time of your fabulous birth day.

But, seriously, if you feel in your heart that you should get your wife a gift, by all means do so. But I do think it plays into the whole mama-drama competitive thing. The whole social media pregnancy is just as bad as the modern bridezilla phenomenon.

Bringing a beautiful baby into this world together is the greatest gift you could give to each other. Maybe you should focus on that for a day or so.

Couldn't have said it better! I would add that thanks to pinterest, women gotta have a party and announcements for everything now. "We're gonna have a baby" announcements and party, gender reveal parties and announcements, then however many baby shower parties you're going to have, and THEN the baby announcements/pictures. Geez, I get exhausted just thinking about all the time and money spent.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Apparently you didn't read and/or understand my post. I am against the push gift, I had never heard of it until a coworker said something and I think it is a pretty ridiculous. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't oblivious to something that has become the norm like many other things I am oblivious too.

I was just being facetious. Have you looked at Pinterest and the perfect lives women construct there? It's just goddamn ridiculous!

Just be a good dad and a good husband. It will be the most amazing day of your lives and you don't need to buy anything to make it better. :-)
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'll be getting myself one when we finally manage our 2nd/final baby :) A necklace with both their initials etched in jade. But no, I don't remember a push present happening here. 'Course, maybe it did? We were both too tired to think for the first month lol
  • Sandia_Sweetie
    Sandia_Sweetie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that push gifts were given among the wealthy and aristocracy as a thank you to the woman for carrying on the genetic line, ensuring that all titles and land would stay within the family for another generation.

I think it is a lovely gesture to tell your wife that she did an amazing job!

On another note, I didn't get any for the three I had either!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I've now told my husband he's owing me 5 push gifts :laugh: The poor man is cussing at whomever's idea it was in the first place :laugh: :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Wat? I didn't get a gift. What I did get was my husband making sure I was drinking enough water, preparing or picking up high protein meals, reminding me some more about drinking enough water, doing dishes, doing laundry, being my cheerleader when my nips were raw and I was crying through feedings (I can't tell you how much it helps to hear "I'm proud of you. You're doing great"), running to the store to get more lanolin, nursing pads, diaper rash cream, nursing bras and tanks, pads, etc. Then he'd bring me MORE water. He'd peel my soaking shirt off of me (little had reflux and would projectile spew all over after feedings) and try not to get any in my hair, and clean up little while I rinsed off and got dressed.

All of that was the best gift my husband could have given me and I appreciate it so much. If you want to get her something tangible, go ahead, but I don't think it's expected or necessary.

I'm officially jealous
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

If you give her gift, do it because you really want to, not because someone told you that you are supposed to.

Other than that, just be the best husband and father you can be. I'm sure your wife is just ready for the whole pregnancy-thing to be over with.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    ... and just to add to my anti-Pinterest, anti-push present, anti-mama-drama rant:

I'll bet that Maria Kang with her rock hard abs, super model smile and 3 perfectly dressed and groomed babies (who are probably far ahead of all expected developmental milestones) received at least a carat for each of her perfectly natural, no epidural, three-pushes-and-they're-out births.

I so don't measure up in this world.

Best wishes for a safe birth for your wife and new baby, OP. It is the greatest miracle you'll ever witness and truly the best gift you'll receive.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am 100% childfree by choice and my husband had a vasectomy to prevent such a purchase from being on his radar ;-)

However, I think it's a really sweet idea to give your wife a token gift when she gives birth. Something meaningful, or something just for her that is not baby-related, would be nice.

I think it's sort of creepy and awful though, that it's referred to as a "push present" (the term I have heard used). Eww.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You should get her one. Something she can have immediately there in the hospital. Something to make her feel pretty or nice because **** gets real those few days. I went with a really nice TAG watch I knew she had been eyeing for a long time bc women love jewelry(go figure) and kind of a back meaning with the start of our sons life and time. I'm kind of a sob when it comes to stuff like that. But yeah, something nice and will last for years upon years, just don't skimp out.

As a side note I didn't know it was a thing until like a week before due date. Funny how her friends made sure to bring it up just in time.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    There is nothing weird or snotty about it and it isn't a new fad or phenomenon.

If you would like to give your wife a gift to signify the birth of your child, then go for it.

If you feel it is unnecessary, then don't.

It's a nice gesture if you do, but you won't be the first or last man who didn't.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    ... and just to add to my anti-Pinterest, anti-push present, anti-mama-drama rant:

I'll bet that Maria Kang with her rock hard abs, super model smile and 3 perfectly dressed and groomed babies (who are probably far ahead of all expected developmental milestones) received at least a carat for each of her perfectly natural, no epidural, three-pushes-and-they're-out births.

I so don't measure up in this world.

Best wishes for a safe birth for your wife and new baby, OP. It is the greatest miracle you'll ever witness and truly the best gift you'll receive.

LOL! No there's gotta be something wrong and I bet it's really juicy and filthy.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My husband gave me a small heart pendant with our first's birthstone and a small pair of birthstone earrings...nothing expensive or extravagant. Yeah, you "gave" her the kid...but let's be brutally honest...her role in this is going to be a lot harder and more painful than yours. Giving her a small token to celebrate the hard work she did is a nice thing. No, you don't have to. -shrugs- But would you want to give birth?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Buy her an extra few stitches. Good for both of you.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    A “push gift”? Da *kitten*?!?!…all I got both times were: an incredibly painful vagina (and a special thank you on that the 2nd time around to my 9lb 6.5oz son with his 13” cranium and broad shoulder that got stuck and required 2 nurses pushing on my abdomen to get it out), a pair of mesh underwear, a maxi pad that went from my nose to the back of my head and was approximately a foot thick, and Tucks medicated pads. Ok…so the medicated pads did become my new best friend for a week or so.

Oh wait, does McDonald’s count?

Oh sweet, so I guess I did get a gift, after all. Except I don't recall there being any McDonalds. :grumble:

I was gonna say...if you didn't get the mesh panties & elephant pad, your hospital was rather stingy...

I think that was the only time that McDonald's ever tasted like gourmet cuisine...they were planning for an emergency C-section just in case; so I wasn't allowed to eat before I was induced with my son. I was in labor for all of 3 hours...apparently my uterus wanted him to GTFO in a fuqin hurry; so there was no C-section...my vagina still hasn't forgiven me & he'll be 9 in 2 weeks. Anyways, I was in dire need of grubbage by then...so I got hospital breakfast, followed almost immediately by McDonald's lunch. I think I chewed; but I can't be certain...I was in "devour everything edible in sight" mode by then.
  • Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    A push gift? I was lucky to get a ride to the hospital, he was tired and had to find his sammich before we could go :laugh:
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    A push gift? I was lucky to get a ride to the hospital, he was tired and had to find his sammich before we could go :laugh:
    Sounds about right... Cant be driving to the hospital sleepy and without a sammich