To share or not to share your food journal

Options

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    @Rhon - You are headed down the road to a path of misery and despair and pizza LOL :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :smile: :flowerforyou:

Can we put bacon on the pizza??? :laugh:

@Oh Yeah - That is a given! - Also Wait until you see one of my famous Spaghetti-O's sandwhiches on White Bread next month too! :drinker:
    Is that gonna be our daily challenge for next month instead of pizza and/or ice cream everyday? :laugh:
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i don't share. mine is for me personally and to know where i went wrong. i don't need other peoples 2 cents when everyone is different.

^^^^^I keep mine private also ^^^^^
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I share mine. I don't have any friends who judge (luckily for me). I also think it helps keep me more honest... I don't want anyone to see me fall off the wagon. It took me a while to decide to do it, but its worked out ok. If you don't like sharing, you can always change it back to private.
  • JAyers27
    JAyers27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have gone back and forth on this. I am about 3 months into my weight loss journey on MFP. At first I thought it was no one's business but my own and I would never comment or look at other diaries. I go over quite often, don't eat perfect, and I like to have a drink or three occasionally. Then I got curious about what others were logging and interested in how open they were with their food. So, I stared checking out their food diaries. That's when I decided to open mine to friends. It felt like I was hiding or cheating keeping it closed and I am trying to change my feelings about food. No one is perfect and we are all doing this for ourselves, if you feel like having it closed than that is your business. When you feel comfortable about it, open it up. I have not gotten any feedback but positive and if I did get some, I think, as stated by others, I would just delete them as my 'friends". Good luck!
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I share mine. I love getting new ideas from open journals.:smile:
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I say log it all and keep your diary open. You can also lock it with a key and only give the key to people you feel like you trust. For me, if you are really serious about losing weight or getting healthy, there's not a lot of reason to hide it. If you have friends that are judgmental, delete them!

I personally won't add people who have closed diaries. I am putting my heart and soul in my diaries...good, bad, and ugly. I feel cheated if my friend can't share with me their struggles like I am sharing mine.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my MFP friends, which include my BFF, BF and two coworkers. this really keeps me accountable. i do like to get new meal ideas from their journals.
  • Andibenni
    Andibenni Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I share mine. It helps to get ideas for menus from other people and if I'm looking at theirs I don't mind if they see mine :blushing: I know I've shared recipes etc after people have viewed my diary and vice versa. No-one judges but if they do everyone's entitled to their opinion however it's my decision at the end of the day to let their judgements get to me...and I choose not to.
  • robinmmurphy3
    robinmmurphy3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mine is visible to my friends. It doesn't bother me either way. I eat some weird breakfast food (Michelina's salisbury steak and mashed potatoes is one of my faves), so I'm sure that I raise some eyebrows with my food choices.
    I like to look at other people's diaries to get ideas for different meals. However, I never judge and I would never say anything harsh to anyone.
  • ryske
    ryske Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You don't have to share if you're scared. But you need to learn not to care what others think. Particularly most people don't care what we eat anyways.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    @Oh Yeah - That is a given! - Also Wait until you see one of my famous Spaghetti-O's sandwhiches on White Bread next month too! :drinker:
    Is that gonna be our daily challenge for next month instead of pizza and/or ice cream everyday? :laugh:
    [/quote]

Of course with alternating days of the 10 worst foods LOL! :drinker:
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    Screw what other people think, as long as you're sticking to your calorie goal, you're winning
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I share mine with my friends. Should there come a time when I stall and need advice of other users, I will open it to the public. I do this for several reasons. The main one simply being that I can get ideas from other people's journals and they from mine. Although there are times when I look at an entry and start drooling on my computer. I don't expect my friends to share theirs with me, and if they never look at mine, it doesn't affect my day. If they are overly critical in a non-helpful manor, they may get de-friended. Bottom line it is your journey, it is your life and at the end of the day, you are the only one that will win, lose, or draw from this endeavor.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private. I prefer to be brutally honest with myself, and don't want the temptation to omit or fudge less-wise items. If I eat it, I log it. I also log quickly from my phone when I'm traveling. Some of those entries may be the first thing that comes up and I go back later and find better matches.
  • LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    I have decided not to share it because there are days in which I fast which is going to make the numbers look really low. I'm also really shy and very aware of what I am eating. Though if I do get to know someone and there's a positive connection established over time, I do release my journal for feedback by giving out the password to the journal. That way I can still share it and get positive and constructive feedback, without feeling "exposed."
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    Mine is only open to my friends, not because I'm worried about what people will say about what I eat, but because I've already received a few disturbing messages through MFP in just a couple of months on the site, so I don't see any need to be more open.

More importantly, I think we're all prone to sharing TMI on the Internet without realizing how it can be used. Many people on MFP have a user name that appears to include parts of their actual names, many reveal in message board posts what country, state, or city they live in, and many have photos that could be used to identify them through facial recognition technology (the kind that Facebook uses to automatically tag you in photos on other people's pages). There are companies that are in the business of gathering every scrap of data they can about individuals online and off, connecting the information about you from all these sources, and reselling it. Do you want current and future employers knowing how often, how much, and when you drink? Do you want insurance companies knowing exactly what you're eating, any health concerns you might have mentioned anywhere on MFP, etc.? Then there are less reputable data miners who can make good guesses about when you're traveling based on changes in your eating pattern. Are you someone who generally only logs one or two meals a week of restaurant food, and now all of a sudden you're logging three meals a day from restaurants? Now they know your house is empty. (Or maybe you save them the detective work by mentioning that you're going on vacation and asking for advice in the message boards on how to stay on course with your calories and macros.)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I share. It's not perfect and sometimes (this weekend, cough, cough) it's awful but it's open. I don't ask for opinions on my eating though, well at least here on the boards. I'd maybe ask my friends but I don't open myself up by asking for public opinion. When my loss slows down, I know what I need to change or tweak.
  • my100plan
    Options
    I'm on a high protein, vlcd. I'm skipping the peanut gallery and keeping mine private :) I would love more friends though because I do enjoy seeing other's success!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Mine is open- I feel like it keeps me more accountable. I think twice about eating something when I know I have to log it and other critical eyes might be looking.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to hide. Anyone can look at my food diary. They will quickly become bored and leave.