Wedding Ring Debate

Options
123457»

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Did your wife tell you her reason for why it is important to her?

If my husband wanted me to change how I wear my wedding and engagement bands, I probably would in the interest of making him happy. It seems like a small thing to do. By agreeing to the rings in the first place, you pretty much agreed to the symbolism of them, too. It makes sense that she'd be upset that you're changing that. By carrying this out, you may run the risk of hurting her or creating doubts in the relationship. I think if I were her, I'd wonder if I'd become less important for this to be dragged out.

She might just hate the way the rings look on the middle fingers, too. If my husband really liked the way his wedding band looked on a different finger, I don't think I'd go so far as to ask him to change it back, but I don't think I'd love the look.
  • Sugarfiend29
    Options
    It matters to her. That's all that should matter to you.
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Happy wife, happy life...go get your rings sized.

As a wife, I agree. Resize them.
  • BigCupOTea
    Options
    It matters to her. That's all that should matter to you.

^^Amen^^
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    It's not a big deal to you but it is to her. Wearing your ring might mean something to her so I think you should get it resized. My husband never takes his off ring because rings mean a lot to us and what they represent.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 pounds and started wearing mine on my middle finger about 7 years ago. I moved them from my left ring finger to my right ring finger and when that got too big, moved them to my left, middle finger. People will occasionally ask, and like you, I explain that its due to weight loss. I had them made bigger when I gained the weight. I don't want to make them smaller until I hit my goal weight and stay there. My husband doesn't care.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Your wife shouldn't care until you are at goal weight.

It's a silly expense to have to keep resizing a wedding ring, and it weakens the band. Wait and do it once. If this bothers her, then be polite but firm in your stance.

Personally, if I saw rings on the middle fingers, I'd presume the person lost a ton of weight and was still trying to lose, but still trying to wear the wedding bands. I wouldn't think the person was trying to "fool" anyone by moving it to a middle finger. Most guys aren't going to wear a wedding band on a middle finger as a fashion statement. Besides, a claddagh is what it is. Its meaning doesn't change by wearing it someplace different.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've heard about arguments is to see who it really matters to, and that person should get more consideration. I get the impression that it matters more to your wife than to you, so why not compromise. When something really matters to you, your wife should give you more consideration.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Your wife shouldn't care until you are at goal weight.

It's a silly expense to have to keep resizing a wedding ring, and it weakens the band. Wait and do it once. If this bothers her, then be polite but firm in your stance.

Personally, if I saw rings on the middle fingers, I'd presume the person lost a ton of weight and was still trying to lose, but still trying to wear the wedding bands. I wouldn't think the person was trying to "fool" anyone by moving it to a middle finger. Most guys aren't going to wear a wedding band on a middle finger as a fashion statement. Besides, a claddagh is what it is. Its meaning doesn't change by wearing it someplace different.

Yep. My ring is too big now, I've been nervous about losing it. After reading your post, I went "duh" and moved it over to my middle finger. Problem solved :flowerforyou: