Inconsiderate coworkers wrecking my hard work

Options

Replies

• pabroughton1
    Options
    What I've learned and you should consider is that the only environment that you can control is your personal space. The office kitchen is there for the pleasure and convenience of everyone in the office. If temptation is that great for you than get a small Keurig for your desk and bring a case of water that you keep at your desk. If you don't want to do that or if office policy prevents you from bringing in a personal coffee maker, than you will have to trust that your will and desire to loose weight or continue with a healthy eating habit will out weigh any temptation to indulge in office treats brought in by others for the pleasure and enjoyment of others. The only person that can wreck your hard work, fortunately is you! You have choices. Indulge in the office junk or make sure that you have with you, what you need to continue on your healthy path.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a few coworkers who are on the larger side and continually bring in *kitten* food, leave it on the counter in the kitchen and then send out an email telling us to help ourselves. Today there were two partial cakes from two different people. I have no problem avoiding or limiting my cake (or other nasty snack) consumption when it isn't around the house and I don't miss it. But when somebody shoves it right in my face I crack. Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? The kitchen is the only place I can get water and coffee so there's no way I can just be big and avoid it.

Are you really serious...Then control your environment, bring in your own healthy snacks Quest Bars, Carrot sticks whatever floats your boat but my god,let people do their own thing and worry about you and your diet .
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

No one is stopping you from not eating the cake. Stop trying to pawn off your personal responsibility.

my experiences with food in the office are different. I recall the times I flat turned things down with a lot of peer pressure. I never minded the food being there but I did mind the peer pressure part.

It's called boundaries, and knowing it is okay to say no.
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    I have some very generous colleagues who are always bringing in cakes, crisps and sweets and leaving them out for everyone. I try to balance this out by bringing in nuts, seeds and fruit so that everyone (me included!) has a slightly healthier alternative, at least by my definition, if they get an attack of the nibbles!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you're blaming everyone else for your failures, you're doing it wrong.
  • DaniNicole321
    Options
    Have you ever consider that maybe if you don't want what they bring, you could bring a plate to share things that you feel are healthy. A bowl of fruit, veggies and dip, nuts, cheese and sausage. Be an example. You can only control yourself not the people around you. They are just trying to be nice.

This. I was going to say the same thing. Bring healthy snacks, for you or for everyone.
    But I'm still hoping this is a joke and you're not delusional enough to think that you have a right to throw away other people's food because you're dieting. Bring your own damn water to work. If there's room for cakes on people's desks like you want then there's room for you to keep extra water. And if you lack self control so severely maybe you need to figure out a way to work a small treat into your calories. Or get a new job.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Oh man...I'm usually the one who brings in the treats for the office!! I try and make them as healthy as possible, but I also realize my co-workers do not eat like I do. Yes, some of them should, but then again some of them are in fine shape and don't need to worry about an occasional treat. Guess I've been doing it all wrong....next time I shall just throw it away and save them!!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Clearly, it's SABOTAGE.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm one of "those" people. I love to bake, but with just me and my husband at home a cake or pie would be stale before we finished it so I take things to work and leave them in the break area. I usually include a recipe in case someone has any food allergies or is watching their weight they know just how much damage it's going to do for the day. I've never considered it shoving something in someone's face before. Most of my coworkers are not concerned with weight loss and seem to enjoy the treats. I get the joy of baking without wasting food or eating the entire thing. I can say that I would find it extremely rude if someone just tossed it into the trash. It's put there for EVERYONE, not one person. If it really bothers you cover it with a piece of aluminum foil so you don't have to see it whenever you walk by.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think you should join the "Pastry chef: immoral and unethical" thread....you and the OP seem like you would hit it off great.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Is this the guy putting out food to lure you to temptation
    adult-swim-behind-bush.gif
  • Catiejoy27
    Catiejoy27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think the gum and brushing your teeth would work for me, great suggestion
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think you should join the "Pastry chef: immoral and unethical" thread....you and the OP seem like you would hit it off great.

I have been lurking in both threads, and was thinking the same thing... :laugh:
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    One thing they don't tell you when you start a diet/lifestyle change is that, as it turns out, not everyone is on a diet, some of them even eat cake EVERY DAY! Shock horror!

This means you need to control your own urges and stop putting the blame on others. I agree it is annoying there is delicious cake (multiple from your descrtiption) to choose from, but your only options are to a) factor it into your intake for the week (my personal choice) or b) ignore it.

If you choose to go with b) good for you. But don't get annoyed it's next to the water tap! Next you will be telling me the supermarket is evil because after you buy your fruits and veggies there is chocolate bars at the counter! How inconsiderate of them!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Just say no thanks. Or lie and say maybe later not hungry or whatevs...

Nobody is sabotaging you but you. Sure they prob want to, but ultimately it's all you.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    # delete the emails.
    #2 keep a stash of food/water/snacks at your desk.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    it's not your co-workers fault you can't control yourself. the kitchen/break room is the only place we are allowed to have food and the treat table is near the water and coffee. just because it's there does not mean you have to have any.. learn to say no!!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I think i say this every day, but Oh, Dear Lord..What do we have here!!! Why is it their problem that you need to lose weight? Next you will say that grocery stores , restaurants are sabotaging and shoving food down the throat, because they have junk food(read yummy food) right next to your veggies or salads!!
    I have pastries or cakes in my office pantry all the time! Its upto me if i want to eat it or not. Life does not start and end with us, please be aware of this! And its so rude that you even think about throwing away the food. Man, if i had brought those goodies and seen you throw them in trash, the following scene would not have been good!!!
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    But when somebody shoves it right in my face I crack.

Are they using enhanced ingestion techniques and cakeboarding you?
  • amonpas
    amonpas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is hard to walk by all the food. Just for yourself bring what you plan to eat that day and stick with just those items.
This discussion has been closed.