Inconsiderate coworkers wrecking my hard work

Options

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

In answer to your question re would it be okay to just throw it in the trash, no it would not.

It is also their place of work too, throw their food in the bin and I think you will find yourself in deep trouble.

How you get your water is not their problem either, it is yours.
  • nsemrau
    nsemrau Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the luxury of being in the cube next to the empty one that has become the designated "food cube." There's usually something sweet or savory sitting there for dibs a couple of times a week. On top of that the one hallway I have to walk down 5-6 times a day passes by another department where they constantly leave out candies, sweets, cakes, etc. on a counter for people to grab as they walk by. I literally walk by temptation dozens of times every day. That's the key point. I walk by it.
  • nsemrau
    nsemrau Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    But when somebody shoves it right in my face I crack.

Are they using enhanced ingestion techniques and cakeboarding you?

lol @ cakeboarding
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

lol @ cakeboarding

I wonder if cakeboarding is against the Geneva Convention...
  • jfrancis1958
    Options
    You need to but on your big girl pants and act like a rational adult and not some spoiled little narcissistic brat. You obviously have a LOT to learn about life sweetheart...
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know the feeling. At least where I work, all the goodies (cake, cookies, donuts, etc) reside in either a meeting room or an unused cubicle and if there were no emailing about it, I wouldn't even know its existence.

But, most of the time, if I chose to eat it, it is entirely my decision. I will either allow for it with some left-over discretionary calories or just do some extra exercise that week to account for it. Otherwise, I just enjoy the moment and not beat myself up over it and try again tomorrow. I mean, I have been eating way too much food for years and I can't expect to lose that weight in a much smaller compressed window of time.

I am just lucky that this work related food events are a few times a week thing and not an everyday occurrence (although it might seem like that LOL). Now, eating out with coworkers for lunch at an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet is another story....
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

I agree, OP! They shouldn't use a public space for their disgusting food. Would people be okay with someone sitting naked on the break room table saying, "Come help yourself, ladies?" NO!!! They would file sexual harassment!

Talk to your boss about this, OP. Maybe they'll lose their jobs!

I trust you are mucking about. However, on the offchance you are being serious here, I say to you - don't be so bloody ridiculous, no boss in his or her right mind would sack somebody for that :laugh:
  • californiabella
    Options

"I ain't your b**ch you dirty piece of cake". This is going to empower you even more than those carrots, believe it or not.

dying of laughter. just. dying.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Bring in a big jug of water so you don't have to go near the kitchen.

Seriously, my company makes restaurant equipment......they need to test it out, new products, etc. There's food here ALL the time.

Beside Christmas is coming.....that means vendors are constantly dropping off goodies.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Try this. When they send out the email, follow it with a Reply All that lets everyone know how many calories are in said snack.
    "Hey folks, that awesome cake is 450 calories. Just FYI."
    That might win you the award for Most Passive-Aggressive Co-Worker, but it might also make a point.

You might try leaving some awesome new treats that you have discovered that are not loaded with the junk that puts pounds on us and clogs our arteries and send out an email. "Hey everyone, there's a platter of veggies and hummus and low-fat tzatziki back there.... " That would blow em out of the water!

You might send out an inter-office email that says, "Hey everyone, I found this really neat APP call My Fitness Pal that is helping me to track my calories and exercise and nutrition on a daily basis. If anyone would like to join me, here is how...." If you get even one co-worker to join you here on MFP it could really make a difference for both of you. I have a nearby friend in the next office suite who joined yesterday. We have talked for years about losing weight and have both yoyo'ed over the years. He joined yesterday and came in today to say, "Holy crap, I did not know what I was doing to myself." In one day, it brought a shock of awareness to him.

Seriously though, I think there are a lot of underlying issues here. When we are overweight and hear about a co-worker dieting, we might take it as a judgement call on ourselves, especially if that co-worker, friend or family member is someone who is actually smaller than us. We might even want a little schadenfreude (is that the German term?) in wanting you to fail at it so that we can continue to rationalize our own behavior.

Or.... there is this, too.

We (the other non-dieting people) might not give a crap at all. We might not even notice you've lost 20 lbs, or 30 or 50... We might not notice that you no longer order the chili cheese fries (large, please) when we go out at lunch or after work and instead have hit the salad bar.

Because, basically, we are all self-centered. I whole-heartedly include myself in that statement about being self-centered.

Right now, I am self-centered to lose weight and find a healthy lifestyle that I can obtain, retain and sustain.

Here is one thing I did. I typed out my 75 Day Challenge Goals and taped them to the freezer door. I also taped the weight loss chart that I have started to the same freezer door in the break room. Now, admittedly, I own the business and hence the fridge, but you might stake a claim to your cubicle in a similar way so that you, too, have visual and constant reminders to yourself of what you are trying to do and to accomplish.

Having that constant visual reminder HELPS!!!! It really does. Regardless of what is in that fridge and freezer (there is about a dozen of the individual size Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Creams back there belonging to a co-worker), I see that sign and know what I reach for when I go in there. I have my stock of healthy snacks there.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Woah...
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

I agree, OP! They shouldn't use a public space for their disgusting food. Would people be okay with someone sitting naked on the break room table saying, "Come help yourself, ladies?" NO!!! They would file sexual harassment!

This comment is absolutely ridiculous! WOW! Really? Food and naked people, jobs lost over generosity. PUKE! Gross gross gross! How embarassing to not have enough self control and then blame others for your own down falls. GROSS!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

lol @ cakeboarding

I wonder if cakeboarding is against the Geneva Convention...
    [/quote]

It is against the Geneva Cookie Convention. However the Geneva Chocolate Convention tolerates such behavior while the Geneva Caking Convention fully supports it.

Choose your Geneva Convention affiliation wisely.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This comment is absolutely ridiculous! WOW! Really? Food and naked people, jobs lost over generosity. PUKE! Gross gross gross! How embarassing to not have enough self control and then blame others for your own down falls. GROSS!

It's definitely a gross in justice what OP is going through. I can't believe all the haters in this thread--the same people who call other MFPers bullies are really the bullies themselves!!
  • salsasally
    salsasally Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me the harder thing to avoid is people with their constant diet talk. I worked in a law firm where the women OBSESSED all day long over fad diets and weight loss programs. That was such a downer.
    [/quote]

This! So True! I hate overhearing people yak on about 'bad' foods to avoid and how they need to run many kms to lose weight. Cals in, Cals out- It's not rocket science (it's just hard work sometimes!)
  • CAME1
    CAME1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that sounds like a really good way to be the popular one at the office! It isn't their fault you have no self control.
    ^^^^ This. I used to be like you. There's a chocolate bar container in the office that's never empty, there's pizza or lasagna or all kinds of greasy foods every Friday!!! My best advise DO LEARN TO CONTROL YOURSELF, TAKES TIME, IT"S NOT EASY BUT IT'S POSSIBLE
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Bring in a big jug of water so you don't have to go near the kitchen.

Seriously, my company makes restaurant equipment......they need to test it out, new products, etc. There's food here ALL the time.

Beside Christmas is coming.....that means vendors are constantly dropping off goodies.

I just had a weird thought...what if one worked at the cake, cookie and donuts factory, would someone think badly a co-worker bringing in a vegetable or fruit platter to their break room? :noway: LOL
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

It's definitely a gross in justice what OP is going through. I can't believe all the haters in this thread--the same people who call other MFPers bullies are really the bullies themselves!!

I'm sure that people who are trying hard to loose weight and are on the right track hardly give a thought about what others are doing around them.

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
    David Brinkley

No one hates OP I don't think. The fact that this OP and yourself want to blame others for being kind is the reason people are hating. Good Luck OP! I hope you find it in you to keep chugging ahead and learn to come terms with your strengths and weaknesses. I'm fat and I eat goodies and I try to stay away from bad habits but I fall because I am not ready not because others around me make me do anything.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? T

I hope you're joking. Just because you can't control yourself means the whole office can't have treats?! Ummm no. We also have a treat counter at work - it's called real life and sometimes we have to deal with it. The world doesn't revolve around you.

^^^This!!!
This discussion has been closed.