Why is there SO MUCH negativity here?!

Options

Replies

• littlemesoontobe
    Options
    I am here....I just started. I was just diagnosed with borderline sugar so I am motivated.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that gif IS disturbing.

On the positive side (though my last comment was also positive), I'm also surprised at how many really knowledgeable people that were here last summer are still here, patiently mythbusting and educating daily. You go, peeps. You are making a difference!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Because this is the internet and you have all types of people here. Supportive, yes. Judgmental, yes. Bitter and mean, yes.

If you post to the internet, expect all of these and more.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I roll my eyes at every 'welcome to the internet' response. *****es, I grew up with the internet. Its changed, and has become an integral part of peoples lives now - as such, normal social guidelines need to start being acknowledged. This is the only board I frequent that still has members saying 'errr its the internet' as an excuse for being a jerk.

Maybe as a general rule of thumb... If you wouldn't say it irl, then its probably mean.

you missed the growing up part.

Pro tip - us "Old Folks" (some of us have actually been on the internet since the 80's - you know, before they added pictures for the kids) actually speak online EXACTLY the way we would in person. Some of us hold back online. You're welcome.

telixscreen.gif

1337 haxxors n ur bbs stealing all ur internetz.

Oh Em Gee, you had colored text? :noway: Mine was either green or white.
    tumblr_mvyetw2pRt1sj3oxho1_500.jpg
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    There's so much negativity because the forum is filled with:

Lies
    Misinformation
    People unwilling to do work
    Confused people
    People unwilling to listen to difficult truths

etc etc

In other words, there's so much negativity because there's so much stupidity and laziness.

Come on now. Let's leave all of my ex boyfriends out of this! :laugh:
  • bmoliv66
    bmoliv66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    because they r horny and need some sex in their life. :)

You know what this is the answer...right here hit the ol' nail on the head.

If I was getting the bajoinga all the time would I be on MFP all the time? H_LL to the Mother f'en No I'd be doing the vertical mambo.

You are truly wise.
    Touché
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Listen to the positive, ignore the rest!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wow, I see what got you all fired up with the other thread. I think sometimes people just don't realize how to phrase things properly online to be supportive yet convey a difference in opinion. Also, some people think that flippant comments (not intended to be rude) are hilarious when in actuality they are not to me. The bottom line is that any comment on a thread should be taken with a grain of salt. Mental filters are much more powerful than online thread filters. : )

FIFY.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    There's so much negativity because the forum is filled with:

Lies
    Misinformation
    People unwilling to do work
    Confused people
    People unwilling to listen to difficult truths

etc etc

In other words, there's so much negativity because there's so much stupidity and laziness.

Logic like that will not be tolerated around here.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    because they r horny and need some sex in their life. :)

You know what this is the answer...right here hit the ol' nail on the head.

If I was getting the bajoinga all the time would I be on MFP all the time? H_LL to the Mother f'en No I'd be doing the vertical mambo.

You are truly wise.
    Touché
    Even while at work???
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I roll my eyes at every 'welcome to the internet' response. *****es, I grew up with the internet. Its changed, and has become an integral part of peoples lives now - as such, normal social guidelines need to start being acknowledged. This is the only board I frequent that still has members saying 'errr its the internet' as an excuse for being a jerk.

Maybe as a general rule of thumb... If you wouldn't say it irl, then its probably mean.

you missed the growing up part.

Pro tip - us "Old Folks" (some of us have actually been on the internet since the 80's - you know, before they added pictures for the kids) actually speak online EXACTLY the way we would in person. Some of us hold back online. You're welcome.

telixscreen.gif

1337 haxxors n ur bbs stealing all ur internetz.

14.4??? Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there, Speedy. Nothing is so important that it needs to be u/ or d/ing with anything faster than 300 baud...and make sure everyone in the house knows not to pick up the phone. And Zmodem? Ha! That fad will never catch on.
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I actually had to send a request to have my own original forum post removed. I posted pictures of what I can tell is some results. I have worked hard the last two weeks and lost 5 pounds and 10 total inches after having no results for about two months. It wasn't a huge difference, but was significant to me and I was (and AM) proud of it and wanted to share my happiness and maybe inspire someone who was also stalled in their weight-loss journey. It became a s*** storm of negativity and bullying...people telling me they couldn't see any difference in my pictures, and that I had just changed clothes and taken the pictures at the same time, and on the other end of the spectrum and to be fair I had people telling me congratulations and that they could see a change (THANK YOU!!)...usually I try to not let what other people say (especially anonymous people I don't know) get me down or matter...you have to do and be what makes you happy because that is what matters in the end...but people who were commenting started attacking each other and it made me feel awful that people who were sticking up for me were getting bullied too.

My new outlook is to take a note from Cee Lo (F*** You), Chumbawumba (Tubthumping), and Icona Pop (I love it) keep my spunk and just make myself happy!

What defines us is how well we rise after falling, not how often we fall!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

You must visit some very tame & boring boards? Knitting and what-not. This is perhaps the most tame board I have ever been on, ever, anywhere at any time.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What defines us is how well we rise after falling, not how often we fall!

Yeah... no. The definition of insanity.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

You must visit some very tame & boring boards? Knitting and what-not. This is perhaps the most tame board I have ever been on, ever, anywhere at any time.

Don't know what boards those would be - I'm on Ravelry (knitting) and there's snark and rudeness there just like there is everywhere else.

I don't know what it is about some people. It's as though they get on the internet expecting that everyone is suddenly going to turn their filters on high. Maybe the only people they deal with in real life are very PC.

Personally, I run into just as much snark irl as I see here. To me it's worse, because some of the people I have to deal with irl deliver their insults with polite-sounding words. Very much a "Well, bless your heart" bunch. I'd much rather just have your honest opinion, even if you think I'm an *kitten*, or stupid, or whatever. That, at least, I can face head-on.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If you consider these forums to be a hotbed of meanness and negativity then I strongly recommend you never post anything on any political forum anywhere online. In my time here (and I have been active in reading the forums) I've seen only a handful of actually "mean" posts, and those were reported and removed pretty promptly.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you consider these forums to be a hotbed of meanness and negativity then I strongly recommend you never post anything on any political forum anywhere online. In my time here (and I have been active in reading the forums) I've seen only a handful of actually "mean" posts, and those were reported and removed pretty promptly.

Or a parenting forum. :noway:

And don't go to The Knot and say you're having a cash bar. :laugh:

eta: because Hitler was known for cash bars. You don't want to be like Hitler do you?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    babycenter.com

*shudder*

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here in the corner in the fetal position sobbing.
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Be true to yourself, find the friends that support you and always research so you know what is correct.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    babycenter.com

*shudder*

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here in the corner in the fetal position sobbing.

How DO you feel about breastfeeding, Jof? :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.