Why is there SO MUCH negativity here?!

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If I see a comment that looks snarky or whatever then I just tell myself that the majority of tone is lost over online communication. Whether or not a person is actually being a jerk varies case by case, but staying away from getting on the defensive in general helps me take a step back before I lash out at someone who could honestly just be trying to help or share their own experience. That being said, I also try to word my own comments in a way that allows them to be be read as positively as possible, as I will never believe that honesty and politeness are mutually exclusive.

+1

Many people (and not just on these forums) would do well to remember this.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Uhhhhh wellll....

This is the internet. And people have opinions. And my opinion of your opinion is you're saying "why can't everyone be like how I want them to be? They're their own people and it annoys me!" People having different opinions is a good thing. It helps us be more introspective and good solid advice. You wouldn't want to hang around a group of people that just told you what you wanted to hear. You wouldn't learn anything
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Banter and confrontations are the main reason I read the boards. I've no interest in group hugs and singing kum bay yah. Give me a good 'ole troll slaying any day! :devil:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"A pat on the back is the last thing overweight, sensitive people need, frankly.

Look at all the people who started out fat and are now in amazing shape. Pretty much none of them will tell you that it all started with a pat on the back and a "there there." They'll tell you it was a tough learning process full of accepting hard truths. They'll tell you that the core of the experience was a dramatic change in the way the looked at and understood themselves, the world around them, and the relationship between the two.

The path from fat and being unable to control yourself to a fit, disciplined work of art involves you being more critical of yourself than anyone else will ever be. It involves challenge and determination and discipline and accepting that what you've done so far is pathetically substandard.

Disagree? Well, before you post take a look in the mirror and assess your own success first."
    [/quote]

This is perfection. This was exactly what I needed to hear about 19 months ago and so glad that I listened. Well said.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mohaq3amnc1s4xdz1o1_500.gif
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    stash-1-50cf889eb02a3.gif
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Fat and angry, duh.

Perfect example.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in...for the rudeness and negativity....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My favorite part about these threads is always the complete and total irony/hypocrisy from the OP and all the supporters of the OP, who rail against "negativity," while gleefully calling people names and slinging insults about everyone they deem negative. I find it hilarious because they are so absolutely oblivious to their own incredibly hateful negativity, and that they are in fact the exact people they are railing against and complaining about.

It just warms my tiger heart.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    OP I'm a offended at your negative post! Next time please don't make a negative post on negativity it makes you a hypocrite.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    So . . . you want an attagirl for posting derp? Well then, "attagirl" . . .
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    9r3DLnq.gif
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I realize that there have been many threads posted lately that express concerns about the attitude in the forums. It's absolutely our goal that the forums be a safe place for anyone to ask for help or support. This community is not just the internet, its MyFitnessPal and I deeply appreciate all of the members who do a beautiful job of providing constructive support to other members.

There are thousands of posts every hour and we do rely on other users to point our attention to posts that appear to be in violation of our guidelines. If you see a post that is rude, insulting, bullying, or in some other way violates the posting guidelines, please click the "report post" link under the post. That brings the post to the attention of the next available moderator.

From Our Community Guidelines:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.