What's going on with the MFP bad attitudes? :(

Options

Replies

• iatemyelf
    iatemyelf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you are hurt by comments, grow an extra skin, because things are not going to change on the Internet.

what's this? i don't even...

wow. there's always going to be complete jerks in life, does that mean we should ALL walk around like and insult/beat/kill/rape whomever we want? yeah, no thanks. there's plenty of room for civility in the real world and on the internet.

what a great reason to be a jerk or do things that disparage people... "not going to change"! were you against the civil rights movement, too? do you think women shouldn't vote? do you think we should still have slaves? hate to brake it to you, but things change... ALL THE TIME. this should be obvious.

if you'd rather be a jerk than show a little civility, don't hide behind your BS reasoning that it's just the internet way of doing things and admit you're just an *kitten*.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My best advice, ignore it. There are always going to be people who need to make themselves feel better by putting others down. Using "it's the internet, get off , lolz" is a weak excuse to insult those asking legitimate questions. If someone is leading an unhealthy lifestyle or trying a dangerous diet, it's not helpful to tear them down about it. Give them an alternative. I know myself if someone insults me while giving advice, I know exactly who's advice I'm NOT going to follow. It's doing more harm than good.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

This is not a baby sitting service, if you post something that does not make one ounce of sense, people and myself included are not going to lay down and play dead.

way to pick your battles there mighty Internet warrior
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So I have been on and off of this site for a few years now. Just started my 3rd round, and I'm determined to accomplish my goals this time! But with the huge growth of this site, I have also noticed some changes.

Has anyone else noticed that the "attitude" of MFP seems to not be as it was before? It gets more and more hostile each time I read post. Don't get me wrong, all of my friends are GREAT - they always have awesome posts on my feed that I can get inspiration from. I'm talking about the message boards, specifically the "Motivation and Support" category.

I read posts from people who are reaching out for help (on whatever subject it may be) by posting on the message boards. What they get in return is people making fun of grammar, spelling, usage, or giving sarcastic remarks back. This is not a rare occasion, either. I'd say it's what happens the majority of the time. It really hurts my heart to see those people, who may not have the same education as everyone else, get shot down over minor details. People seem to have lost sight of what this website is for. We are all here for the same reason - to get/stay healthy.

I posted on the motivation and support category during the last time I tried to lose weight (my 2nd attempt) and decided quickly that I will no longer ask for help on message boards. It was a post about my unsupportive boyfriend, and I admit, it was "ranty." But almost all of the responses that I received were rude, judgmental, or sarcastic.

It's too bad that we all have to say hurtful or mean things to each other when this is such a wonderful site that can be so helpful to people. Until I see I change, I think I'll stick to posting questions on my status or use Google.

*End Rant*

This is not a baby sitting service, if you post something that does not make one ounce of sense, people and myself included are not going to lay down and play dead.

I don't understand why you would would need to say anything mean or hurtful in response to not understanding. If you don't understand, move to the next post, or ask probing questions to understand what the person's question is. I get it's not a babysitting service, but it's also on a site for support.

Yep, just ignore people like this; they are not worth the effort. And for the record OP, I totally agree with your post!
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Posting anything on the internet in a space where anyone can respond is casting a wide net. And just like in fishing, you sometimes pull up garbage.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    If you are hurt by comments, grow an extra skin, because things are not going to change on the Internet.

wow. there's always going to be complete jerks in life, does that mean we should ALL walk around like and insult/beat/kill/rape whomever we want? yeah, no thanks. there's plenty of room for civility in the real world and on the internet.

what a great reason to be a jerk or do things that disparage people... "not going to change"! were you against the civil rights movement, too? do you think women shouldn't vote? do you think we should still have slaves? hate to brake it to you, but things change... ALL THE TIME. this should be obvious.

if you'd rather be a jerk than show a little civility, don't hide behind your BS reasoning that it's just the internet way of doing things and admit you're just an *kitten*.

Comparing sarcasm on the internet to:
    1) Beating
    2) Raping
    3) Killing
    4) Slavery

Yeah, this is going to end well.
  • iatemyelf
    Options

1) Beating
    2) Raping
    3) Killing
    4) Slavery

whooooooooshshhhhhh, right over your head.
  • guroprincess
    Options

1) Beating
    2) Raping
    3) Killing
    4) Slavery

Because making light of/being sarcastic about those issues is *so much* better.
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I most definitely agree it is sad to see how people treat each other anymore. This is supposed to be a place for help & support, not mockery & shaming. I mean there are a lot of posts on here that i don't agree with, but I just rant in my head and then move on. For example one of the was complaining about how one of their friends was going to become a gourmet pastry chef, and was just fueling the fire for the obesity epidemic. People need good tasting things to eat, and the chances are with them being GOURMET they're A.) Going to be really expensive, and B.) A once in a while treat.
    As for the for boyfriend rant, it can sometimes be overwhelming dealing with them on your own, and you don't always have that sounding boarding in real life to bounce ideas/rants off of. So I don't blame you for posting the rant, I sometimes want to as well. It also seems to be an epidemic of trolling all over the internet not just MFP but other sites as well such as my IRC Network, and Facebook. But it's not just you. Also if anyone needs/wants new friends that feel the same way as them about the trolling and the rudeness feel free to add me!
  • iatemyelf
    Options

1) Beating
    2) Raping
    3) Killing
    4) Slavery

Because making light of/being sarcastic about those issues is *so much* better.

i just don't understand you. who's making light of those issues or diminishing them? why is your focus on sarcasm here? do you sincerely think that sarcasm is the meanest thing people can do on the internet or real life?

the jerk before had the reasoning that "well, people are jerks on the internet, i don't think it's going to change, so might as well be a jerk myself instead of being a decent human being." doing something that is generally perceived as being "morally wrong" or "bad" or "evil" or even in "poor taste" just because other people do it and have been doing it for a long time is absolutely stupid. i'm sorry you completely missed that. do you still not understand the parallel i was drawing?

people insult each other in real life, so we should just do that just because it's always going to happen, right? people assault others in real life, that hasn't changed for a bajillion years, so let's just go around and beat up whomever we want? and so on and so on. do you understand now? just because people do mean or horrible things, and have always and will probably still continue to do so, that's really no good reason to do them yourself or not even ATTEMPT to rectify the situation.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    wow......just 'effin wow! :noway:

I have a very straight forward personality and do not sugar coat (cuz let's face it, sugar is the devil) solicited advice!! I make no apologies for that nor do I apologize for my sarcastic sense of humor. It would suck to be offended by everything!!!

I am also very supportive to those on my friends list. If they are not eating enough calories or fruits and veggies - I will say something and expect the same in return.

I think it has become a progression:
    Poster: Why...insert ur question
    People responding: reasons
    Poster: OMG why would you tell me that?
    People responding: because you asked
    Poster: you people are mean!!!

It gets old and opens the door to a ton of sarcasm once on page 8 or 9 of the same, tired "thread of the day!" Like: which is worse, sugar or fat? kinda post.

Just my two cents.......

:flowerforyou:
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I was a little surprised by some of the posts on here when I first joined the boards, but you can't let it bother you too much. It's a little like offline life... Not everyone is going to see eye to eye or get along, but you can find like minded and relatable people, too.

In general (on and offline) I sometimes see spikes of pissyness in people when fall starts getting dark and cold and daylight savings ends, myself included.
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Seriously?? I think you need some babysitting.

Nicely done! (and probably true!)
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    I do agree that some of the post do get a little ridiculous and some take it to an extreme of being mean. Like why stalk the person and investigate into the past post they may have written. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and im usually around just for the show....someone pass the popcorn. Even this post is not immune to nasty sarcasm and things should pick up in a few more pages.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have found that it is best to avoid posting rants unless they are more general rather than personal. No one is ever going to hear what they want to hear in the manner most pleasing to them from strangers with objective points of view.
  • Malaylah
    Options
    bump
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Guess we all need to fart rainbows and ride unicorns around you, and forget keeping it REAL. Life isn't easy, even on the internet.

I guess if you do not agree with what people tell you it would be considered rude and judgmental and that they have a bad attitude.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Seriously?? I think you need some babysitting.

Nicely done! (and probably true!)

That two for the service coming up.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What, this again?

How many of these threads to do we need?
This discussion has been closed.