What's going on with the MFP bad attitudes? :(

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This is not a baby sitting service, if you post something that does not make one ounce of sense, people and myself included are not going to lay down and play dead.

You seriously have nothing better to do with your time?

Really?
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is not a baby sitting service, if you post something that does not make one ounce of sense, people and myself included are not going to lay down and play dead.

You seriously have nothing better to do with your time?

Really?

Apparently not.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    ...for idiots like the OP ...

Name calling?

Is this a forum for 4 year olds now?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't take any of it seriously. I actually think it's funny. When I've asked for help, I get a few helpful remarks and a lot of snark and funny gifs. It's funny. Who cares? Why so serious?

This place is what you make it.

If you don't like the general forums, there are lots of specialty boards that people have started for this purpose. For example, of you want to ask a low carb question, don't dare do it on the general forums. But there are low carb and Paleo and other kinds of boards where like minded people can ask questions and chat without being chastised for doing something different to see if it works for them.

Agreed. Unless it is someone close to me in real life who is being "cruel" or "insensitive," I really don't see how why it would affect some me so much. I figure that if someone is acting like a ****, it probably has more to do with them than anything personal against me, because they don't even know me. I thought the "this is not a babysitting service" comment was pretty funny and did not even view it as antagonistic until people started posting and interpreting it that way. I guess that's just the way I think though.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    So I have been on and off of this site for a few years now. Just started my 3rd round, and I'm determined to accomplish my goals this time! But with the huge growth of this site, I have also noticed some changes.

Has anyone else noticed that the "attitude" of MFP seems to not be as it was before? It gets more and more hostile each time I read posts.

*End Rant*

You don't remember the HCG threads before they were banned? Now, those were fun!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options

way to pick your battles there mighty Internet warrior

I like this comment. Also, I am disappointed that no one has posted a gif yet having something to do with an internet warrior or something similar. Come on guys, we're better than this! :laugh:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    7419d1349318060-750-million-round-dhs-order-warrior888888.jpg
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    7419d1349318060-750-million-round-dhs-order-warrior888888.jpg

Hahahahaha! Sweetness!!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    internet-tough.jpg?w=500
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you focused on your goals and less and on what everyone else is doing wrong, you'd do better? Just a thought.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    internet-tough.jpg?w=500

:drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So I have been on and off of this site for a few years now. Just started my 3rd round, and I'm determined to accomplish my goals this time! But with the huge growth of this site, I have also noticed some changes.

Has anyone else noticed that the "attitude" of MFP seems to not be as it was before? It gets more and more hostile each time I read post. Don't get me wrong, all of my friends are GREAT - they always have awesome posts on my feed that I can get inspiration from. I'm talking about the message boards, specifically the "Motivation and Support" category.

I read posts from people who are reaching out for help (on whatever subject it may be) by posting on the message boards. What they get in return is people making fun of grammar, spelling, usage, or giving sarcastic remarks back. This is not a rare occasion, either. I'd say it's what happens the majority of the time. It really hurts my heart to see those people, who may not have the same education as everyone else, get shot down over minor details. People seem to have lost sight of what this website is for. We are all here for the same reason - to get/stay healthy.

I posted on the motivation and support category during the last time I tried to lose weight (my 2nd attempt) and decided quickly that I will no longer ask for help on message boards. It was a post about my unsupportive boyfriend, and I admit, it was "ranty." But almost all of the responses that I received were rude, judgmental, or sarcastic.

It's too bad that we all have to say hurtful or mean things to each other when this is such a wonderful site that can be so helpful to people. Until I see I change, I think I'll stick to posting questions on my status or use Google.

*End Rant*

I think you may have answered your own question.
  • iatemyelf
    iatemyelf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ...for idiots like the OP ...

Name calling?

Is this a forum for 4 year olds now?

i hope that's sarcasm, if not, that's hilarious how badly you comprehended my post.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    There does seem to be a clique of people who have been here for a while and have long since reached goal or were never overweight to begin with.

I think the problem is that it's hard, psychologically, to remember that each new person who asks about their 1200 calorie diet or the caloric demon of the day is new, really is confused and has been bombarded by sensationalized information regarding nutrition.

It's a conversation that they have had a thousand times before, and they seem to be treating all these people as the same person, who happens to be frustratingly slow to learn.
    I understand this, to an extent, as I work in technical support and I have to make a large effort to remember that each new person who has no idea where to begin with their smartphone has not heard the 1000 other conversations I've had on the subject.

Combine this with the fact that they all seem to be friends, see each other's comments and tend to pile on, and you get an environment that seems hostile to newbies.
    Also, a lot of them are young and have always been fit, tend to lift heavy and forget that not everyone is like them and that people may have different needs.

The best advice for noobs, including myself, is to do your best to search previous topics before posting.
    It's a shame, because we all do like the one on one attention and getting our specific questions answered.

Also, don't be one of those people who posts just to get validation. If you already "know" the answer and you are not going to change your mind, then don't "ask" about it.
  • iatemyelf
    iatemyelf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There does seem to be a clique of people who have been here for a while and have long since reached goal or were never overweight to begin with.

I think the problem is that it's hard, psychologically, to remember that each new person who asks about their 1200 calorie diet or the caloric demon of the day is new, really is confused and has been bombarded by sensationalized information regarding nutrition.

It's a conversation that they have had a thousand times before, and they seem to be treating all these people as the same person, who happens to be frustratingly slow to learn.
    I understand this, to an extent, as I work in technical support and I have to make a large effort to remember that each new person who has no idea where to begin with their smartphone has not heard the 1000 other conversations I've had on the subject.

Combine this with the fact that they all seem to be friends, see each other's comments and tend to pile on, and you get an environment that seems hostile to newbies.
    Also, a lot of them are young and have always been fit, tend to lift heavy and forget that not everyone is like them and that people may have different needs.

The best advice for noobs, including myself, is to do your best to search previous topics before posting.
    It's a shame, because we all do like the one on one attention and getting our specific questions answered.

Also, don't be one of those people who posts just to get validation. If you already "know" the answer and you are not going to change your mind, then don't "ask" about it.

very well said.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    mmk
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Articulate, well thought out and sensible.

I wouldn't expect too many more posts of this calibre in a thread like this.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that people have gotten much more sensitive and resistant to dissenting viewpoints.
  • MrsBingley
    Options

Articulate, well thought out and sensible.

I wouldn't expect too many more posts of this calibre in a thread like this.

Aw, thanks, I have my moments. (I also have my moments of bboneheaddery, which you will see if you check my other comments :blushing: )
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    There does seem to be a clique of people who have been here for a while and have long since reached goal and have a lot of good knowlege to share with us new people.

It's a conversation that they have had a thousand times before, and they seem to be treating all these people as the same person, who happens to be frustratingly slow to learn to use the search button but quick to make a mean people thread

Also, a lot of them are young/old and have worked hard to get and remain fit, tend to lift heavy and try to stop people doing stupid fad diets and get them to see that weight loss can be simple.

The best advice for noobs, including myself, is to do your best to search previous topics before posting. And if you do post keep and open mind about the answers you get as there is normally excellent advice in the replies.

FIFY
This discussion has been closed.